Cannon Jolle 1801 by ccoyle - FINISHED - Master Korabel - 1/72 scale - Swedish gunboat

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the immediate beneficiary of my X-acto disaster with CGS Canada is the gunboat. Rigged the gun tackles this afternoon. I hope the boys at MK will not mind my saying this too much, but the rigging line supplied in the kit could really stand to be upgraded. However, I'm going to build this with the stuff on hand, so it is what it is.

1591829389_gbconstruction15.thumb.jpg.2e2374e9c0f6328467271d4780e8a8b0.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Chris, 

That is a beautiful detailed bow.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

13 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Spars. Exciting, I know, right?

ha ha, but as someone who has struggled to form a reasonable looking skewer, I can say they look shipshape!

Several hours of work today resulted in the bending of sails to yards (with fore tacks), rudder hung, and rudder tackles and preventers installed.

1321199589_gbconstruction17.thumb.jpg.5f5f4d4176b85f0aa311dac0039f6b59.jpg

841738825_gbconstruction18.thumb.jpg.56791f578a3ce711bd6543f2f8583f3a.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Thanks, Captain_Hook! I hope to be able to get all of my "honey-do" list done in time to do some more work on her this weekend. I had originally planned this to be a quick build -- ha!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

It does look really nice! I’m glad you’re getting back to it, I enjoyed watching you build it.

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

I had originally planned this to be a quick build -- ha!

Does such a think even exist?

wish I had a cannon like that in my car ;)   then I could get rid of that 'back off' sticker on my bumper :D look'in good :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Here's my progress to date. All the shrouds are set up, and I have the first back stay set up. You can also see that my work area tends to be very untidy while I work -- I just leave out all the tools I need at the moment, and it seems like I always need a lot!

One tiny, tiny complaint I must file with Dmitriy and Evgeney: Guys, please please replace the rigging line in your kits! The line in this kit is as bad as the rest of the kit is good. I don't know what material it is made of, but it does not hold glue well, does not maintain a point when cut, frays easily, and is inclined to unravel at the slightest provocation. It has been very, very frustrating to work with. In fact, I stopped a little bit early tonight because I was about to lose my cool with the thread and knew I needed to step away before someone got hurt! Thanks for listening!

Cheers!

2013839504_gbconstruction19.thumb.jpg.a38d9c595c883c9d0fc583c6f3abdd89.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

but the results don't look bad at all........rigging looks good.   doesn't appear that your needing to do ratlines.......per-sey.   godsend I suppose ;)     nice job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

48 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

but the results don't look bad at all........rigging looks good.   doesn't appear that your needing to do ratlines.......per-sey.   godsend I suppose ;)

Yes, no ratlines, hooray! And yes, the finished results don't look bad, but boy what a pain it has been to arrive at them! Also, since the model is quite small at 1/72 scale, it won't be readily apparent that the rigging line isn't Syren's finest, or similar, besides which I wanted to do this one as much out-of-the-box as possible to keep it cheap.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Unmitigated disaster has struck. 😥😥😥

I had just finished setting up the remaining mainmast backstay and then was working on making the foremast backstays, when I happened to glance to my left. That's where I had the two sails waiting to be set -- only there wasn't two. There was only one. I didn't panic, because the sails had fallen off my desk before, so I just set about looking for the sail ... and looking ... and looking ... and looking. I looked everywhere, even following the old adage about looking where it couldn't possibly be. I scoured my entire modeling room three times. No sail. The only possibility I could come up with is that our one-year-old spaniel, Maisy, who likes sticks, came upstairs and helped herself. I thoroughly searched the house and yard looking for evidence. Nothing. It's gone -- vanished.

I am beyond depressed. This was supposed to be a quick and easy build. I really don't want to scratch-build a replacement, because that defeats the whole "quick and easy" thing. Besides, if I make a new sail, it won't look like the other pre-sewn sail, so I'll probably have to make two -- plus replace the yard. And that will add days to an already overly-long build. 😟😟😟  I am really not feeling motivated right now. I thought I was nearly finished.

Man ... just ☹️.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

That is so frustrating; I’m really sorry to hear it. I looked at crafty sailor and unfortunately those sails are “coming soon” (https://craftysailor.com/collections/sails) but maybe you could reach out and see when they’d be available? Of course this doesn’t seem to lend itself to the “quick” aspect of the build either...

That's terrible news, Chris.  If your luck is like mine, they'll turn up just about the time you're finished with the new version.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That‘s a pity. But for me that is a well-known phenomenon. Almost every small part that is falling of my desk is lost forever, no matter how long I will search for it. But as your model looks so beautiful and you have already put a lot of effort in it it would be a huge pity if you leave it that way. So maybe making two scratch-sails are good practice for future modelling and maybe they won‘t take that long.

Edited by captain_hook

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

1 hour ago, captain_hook said:

So maybe making two scratch-sails are good practice for future

Oh, I have done them before -- I just didn't want to this time around. 🙂

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

You or someone else didn't gather "rags" up for laundry or garbage did you?   Don't ask how I know and why I don't do sails.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

All shrouds and backstays set up. Replacement main yard under construction. Before I get too far with that last bit, I'm wondering how these small boats would have dealt with furled sails. Would they have furled the sails and then re-hoisted the yards to keep them out of the way of rowers, or would they have lowered them to the deck? Asking for a friend. 😬

616249024_gbconstruction20.thumb.jpg.0bd10c4b861b8606508a1e509791dead.jpg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Okay, too late for the furled sail question -- I already made the new sails. It's not hard to do; I just didn't want to do it. But now they're done (though no bolt ropes yet and not bent to yards). On the left is the pre-sewn foresail, and on the right is the new sail. One of the things I don't particularly like about pre-sewn sails is that the stitching is always way out of scale, therefore I don't sew. Instead, I glue everything up. Also, panel lines are barely perceptible on real-life sails, except where adjacent cloth pieces are color-mismatched. So, I lightly penciled the panel lines on the aft side and scored them, which gives just a hint of lines on the front. BTW, for cloth I used one of my last remaining bits of drafting linen -- might have been my last piece.

1379221668_gbconstruction21.thumb.jpg.0f0a79723e65886e54a79f31077ccccc.jpg

And here's Maisy, the suspected sail-eating culprit. She's so darn cute and lovable that it's impossible to stay mad at her. 🥰

maisy.thumb.png.e96ac8b7a46d4113e8458d42b6226a0c.png

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

2 hours ago, VTHokiEE said:

have you posted yours before?

Nothing tricky -- just cloth and glue. Hems are folded and glued. If I make bigger sails, I glue on the appropriate panels around the edges & reef point bands. All glue, no stitching. Bolt rope is glued, too.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

43 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Nothing tricky -- just cloth and glue. Hems are folded and glued.

Those hems look like a single fold (and did you glue panels or simulate the stitches with scouring?), did you do anything to pretreat the cloth? I may be using garbage material but when I cut it I get a terribly frayed edge.

Sorry for all the questions, but these look really nice and sound really easy so I’d love to get it figured out in my head.