Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by maggsl_01 - Euromodel - 1:48

same pictures in higher resolution... on my galleon model I did it (rudder pendants) same as You did ... later on I found info that it was not correct and need to be redone... :) but I didn't yet do it.

RP-P-1885-A-9941.jpg

untitled.jpg

15 Der Hollandische Zweidecker1660_70.jpg

18 Der Hollandische Zweidecker1660_70.jpg

Edited by kirill4

1 hour ago, kirill4 said:

Good day Max,

Your job is great! All looks nice!

However couple small local (which caught my eyes) remarks...

regarding deck gratings planks orientation and two openings in the square transom, which You used for rudder pendant,  as I knew , they used for ship boat tow ropes, but for rudder pendants used other locations...

FW_142.jpg.0143b20fe89719cde84e86b074cd642b.jpg

untitled.jpg

RP-P-1885-A-9941.jpg

Hi Kirill,

thank you for your posting. I followed strictly the plans of Euromodel with both the gratings orientation and the opening for the rudder pendants. I did not know that there was a difference, but the old drawings show this quite clearly. So - you never stop learning.

Best regards

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Good day,

Dear Max , some time ago I saw this beautiful building https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/pinnace-papegojan-1627-1-48-completed-build.7055/

If You didn't know about it already ... there are a lot of interesting and useful details for the model of 17th vessel could be seen...

Hello mates,

some update. Due to some busy days in the job there is just a little progress. Started planking of the decks. Try to get a good curve to the upper deck and proceed this for the poop deck. At the moment things go fine and I am hopeful to solve all challenges with the help of Pete's files and the study of the plans. The plans are so extraordinary... I always discover some new details by every look at them.

Well, enough words, there are no real problem at the moment. Some pics show the way I am on.

So far, see you later

Cheerio

Max :10_1_10:

FW_143.jpg

FW_144.jpg

FW_145.jpg

FW_146.jpg

FW_147.jpg

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

Hi mates,

today there is just a little update with pics. Between the construction of the gallery and the stern, which I have completed (without the decorations yet) and the construction of the bow section and galion (what I see as a BIG challenge) I have installed the decks, now planked all decks and I will continue with the ships interior so far (inner planks etc). This work makes a good progress and is not as far a challenge as other steps. After a few hours you see a nice result.  So look at the pics and always have in your mind - all is in progress 😅

Cherrio

Max :10_1_10:

FW_148.jpg

FW_149.jpg

FW_150.jpg

FW_151.jpg

FW_152.jpg

FW_153.jpg

FW_154.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello merry boys and girls,

time for some new pics from the Friedrich Wilhelm. Still working on the inner planks and other interior stuff. I got the first reling in place, tghe secon on will follow quite later. I am not sure if I use the same size for the upper reling. Mr Mondfeld says in his book that it was commonly made in smaller size. As my first reling is in 7mm I could use some 5 or 4 mm timber. I will try and then decide what looks better. 

Last week I was in Milan and had a trip round Lake Como where Euro Model ist suited. I wonder if it will be possible to buy my next kit directly in Como as I go to Milan several times a year. I will ask Mr Mazzi from Euro Model if they have a shop... If yes this would be really exciting... :)

Have a got time and

Cheerio

Max:10_1_10:

FW_155.jpg

FW_156.jpg

FW_157.jpg

FW_158.jpg

Edited by maggsl_01

Looking good Max. When it comes to making a decision on most aspects of ship building, Mondfeld is an excellent reference. However, the beauty of working from the incredible Euromodel drawings is that you are always free to select what level you wish to work at. The Euromodel builds are certainly not scratch builds but in some aspects get close. So, keep up your meticulous work.

As regards Euromodel, they have no upfront shop to physically go to but am sure some arrangement could be made to collect a ship from them in Como.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Hello my friends

after almost four weeks it's time for an update. I finished some steps like the balustrades, the railings and some deck furniture. All comes good, I started the decorations. Everything seams to go on smooth and with no or just minor problems. The build is a challenge, as I said before several times, but there are no problems that will stay unsolved. Looking at the plans very carefully and with full attention, the interpretive files from Euro Model and at least thinking about the things you do and the progress you want to make will always lead to a proper way. And finally success. I hope I am right with this when it comes to the next step - the galion. But I am sure I alreday found some working methods...

As always I present some photos to show the progress. Enjoy and as always don't hesitate to tell me your opinion, hints and remarks.

Cheerio:10_1_10:

Max

FW_159.jpg

FW_160.jpg

FW_161.jpg

FW_162.jpg

FW_163.jpg

FW_164.jpg

FW_165.jpg

FW_166.jpg

Looks really great!  Really nice finish on the cast pieces.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I don't know how I missed this build. I will pull up a chair and follow along. Great progress there! 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my friends,

it is time for another little update. The Friedrich Wilhelm grows more and more. These days I  went over to the galion, what is a really tricky matter. I modified the build in the way that I did not double-bent the rails. I bent the timber in a horizontal meaning but not vertical. So the galion is not as pointed as the plans show. It is wider what has consequences to the appearence of the bow. For me it is ok as it is. It's the way I can build it, I don't have a higher skill. Probably it would be better to cut out the rails in the exact shape with a coping saw or to carve it. Nevertheless the result is quite impressing.

Now the hull is almost done. I have to fix the decorations, to build the cannons, the gun port lids, the channels with the chains and some smaller details. All over the hull it will be necessary to repair some details that got affected during the build and all those things. I assume that I will be ready  with this first grand step this year. I am not sure yet if I want to show the boats, as they will take a lot of space and hide some pretty details. But we will see...😉

As always - some pics. Enjoy and don't hesitate to tell me your opinion.

Best wishes - and Cheerio

Max

:10_1_10:

FW_167.jpg

FW_168.jpg

FW_169.jpg

FW_170.jpg

FW_171.jpg

FW_172.jpg

FW_173.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello my friends and fellow men (and women of course)

it's time for another update, mostly with pictures. The work at the hull of my Friedrich Wilhelm step by step comes to its end. Still I have to build and install the remaining canons, some decorations are still missing - but that's it more or less. I think that it will take not longer than about two or maximum three weeks to finish this big stage of construction. I am very content with the quality of the figurines and other decorations. I used primer and some acrylic "antique gold", but there are some minor spots where I have to repair the color coating. 

After this step I will take a break before I start to construct the masts and spares and finally do the rigging. Before that I have to study the great Euromodel plans very carefully.

So please take a look at the photos, enjoy it and as always don't hesitate to tell me your opinion and comments.

CU soon with the final results of the hull construction

Cheerio :10_1_10:

Max

FW_174.jpg

FW_175.jpg

FW_176.jpg

FW_177.jpg

FW_178.jpg

FW_179.jpg

FW_180.jpg

FW_181.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Cheerio again

as mentioned in the post above I finished the first construction stage - hull, deck furniture, cannons, decorations - of the Euro Model Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde. I will have a break now before I start with the masts, spars and finally the rigging. I will retire in September. I think this will be a good time to restart building this extraordinary model.

Please enjoy the pics and don't hesitate to tell me your thoughts about my FW.

CU all again

Maximilian

:10_1_10:

FW_182.jpg

FW_183.jpg

FW_184.jpg

FW_185.jpg

FW_186.jpg

FW_187.jpg

FW_188.jpg

FW_189.jpg

FW_190.jpg

FW_191.jpg

FW_192.jpg

FW_193.jpg

Great stage to have reached Max. The photos say it all and almost defy adding words of praise. However, I will - fantastic accomplishment my friend. One to be proud of. Coincidentally, I have just added this week revised files for the hull construction on the Euromodel website. A little late for you !

Pete

On 2/8/2023 at 2:09 AM, piratepete007 said:

Great stage to have reached Max. The photos say it all and almost defy adding words of praise. However, I will - fantastic accomplishment my friend. One to be proud of. Coincidentally, I have just added this week revised files for the hull construction on the Euromodel website. A little late for you !

Pete

Thank you so much Pete. Actually I am a little bit proud of it. With your fantastic files  and some own brain  work I came to this result. You know the kits better than anybody else and thus you know the challenges that have to be done. But every one can be solved with a deep satisfaction. I am looking forward to the next steps. But now it is time for spring and the last months of my business life. What would you recommend as next Project? I am Not sure if I want the Mordaunt or the Falmouth. Both are most interesting😁

Best wishes

Max

Max, Your kind words make me feel humble. You know as well as I do that these 'kits' are a unique way of moving away from kit building and inching towards scratch building. Just love the challenge. Out of the two ships you mentioned, the Falmouth is a good choice. HOWEVER, coming out of left field, the Euromodel Lyde schooner is the one I am working on at the moment and the files are the most thorough and extensive I have ever written for any ship. Just an alternative. Looking forward to your masting and rigging.

Pete