Old Collingwood

Wargaming

Hi all,   anyone ever been or still into  period wargaming  like waterloo  -  I sure was  I use to have about 600  Airfix  00  scale platic figures and used to drive my late mum mad with them all over the  lounge floor, reinacting my battles.

Painting them as a young kid was horrendous.

This guy has taken it to new levels   - Superb.

https://notjustoldschool.blogspot.com/2015/05/waterloo-project-our-1100-refight.html

OC.

We have several places in town where they provide tables/space for games like that. Some people have quite an investment in both time and money just in the figures.

My kids and I at one time did a game called Hero Quest, kind of like Dungeons and Dragons and we painted all of the figures one by one.

Even further back I played a few games from Avalon Hill with friends from work. They were Wooden Ships and Iron Men, War of the Roses, and Richthofen's War. I made 1/2400 ships for the first game, I got about 1" tall figures holding shields and painted the Coat-of-Arms for each character in War of the Roses, and for Richthofen's War I found some biplanes that were about 1/350 and painted up most of the required playing pieces. But those were all board games.

It's funny that you brought it up though as my son and I were just talking about them the other day and wondering where they had gone. He thinks he still has them over at his house, (Our old house years ago). 

I used to be quite into strategic simulation games. I still have a copy of Wooden Ships & Iron Men, but at one time I also owned AH's Panzer Blitz, Luftwaffe, and Arab-Israeli Wars. A good friend of mine owned a bunch of other titles that we used to play, including Panzer Leader, which was based on the same system as Panzer Blitz and Arab-Israeli Wars. We used to combine the boards from the three games and play some rather imaginative "what if" scenarios.

Chris

Did you ever play "Ship of the Line", at least I think that was what it was called back then. It was more like the Waterloo game that OC described where you make your moves with a ruler and a chart rather than a board like Wooden Ships and Iron Men. Much more involved! I think it was what WSIM was based on.

On WSIM I played a friend a couple of times in single ship combat games. He was a BIG British navy fan, ALWAYS played the British. I was bragging about the Constitution one day so he challenged me to a melee. The Constitution Vs. the HMS Africa (64)! I thought "Oh no what have I gotten myself into?" The first time I was afraid to close and we spent over an hour sniping back and forth to little effect. We did a return engagement a couple of weeks later and I felt "what the heck" make it all or nothing! I used my superior speed and closed in and at first it looked like I was going to pay the price! I was causing damage but boy was I getting it as well! Then I dropped his mast and it was pretty much all over! Within a few minutes I had moved so that I was not taking as much damage and also was able to switch broadsides from port to starboard. My first full broadside took down a second mast and he was pretty much a sitting duck. I came around his stern and started raking him and he surrendered in two more moves. My friend was REALLY upset!

I don't know if it was luck or if the Constitution was really that powerful and if we had played a few more times I always wondered what the results would have been. But like in real life, where the British navy placed orders that the American "super" frigates were not to be engaged in one-to-one combat, he would never play the scenario again.   

Edited by lmagna

14 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Did you ever play "Ship of the Line"

Not familiar with that one. I always appreciated that WSIM played well in solitaire mode. I once endeavored to do the Trafalgar scenario in that manner, but with that many ships on the board the turn sequence was quite ponderous.

I tried to make the scenery  but as a young lad I wasn't very good at scratch building,  my first step into it was having the Airfix Waterloo  battle set  with the farm building and four sets of different soldiers, so I just  painted the figures (roughly)  and set everything all over the lounge carpet  - mum couldn't move  - no way she was getting into the kitchen  to make her cuppa.

OC.

4 hours ago, ccoyle said:

WSIM played well in solitaire mode.

There is no way I would even attempt a two or three ship encounter let alone something like Trafalgar! The most ships I would do on our "Game" days was six ships, and even that got kind of wild sometimes if lines of battle got broken.

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

no way she was getting into the kitchen  to make her cuppa.

Sounds like my new puppy!

image.png.e31a87027d050c55338d2b60c2426a22.png

He did this in about ten minutes, they were all in the bag and it was tied! Other days he will empty the red and white bed behind him of his toys and they will be spread all over the room. The game chair on the left is where my youngest kid lives and he trashes that side of the room as well!

13 hours ago, lmagna said:

Even further back I played a few games from Avalon Hill with friends from work. They were Wooden Ships and Iron Men, War of the Roses, and Richthofen's War. I made 1/2400 ships for the first game, I got about 1" tall figures holding shields and painted the Coat-of-Arms for each character in War of the Roses, and for Richthofen's War I found some biplanes that were about 1/350 and painted up most of the required playing pieces. But those were all board games.

It's funny that you brought it up though as my son and I were just talking about them the other day and wondering where they had gone. He thinks he still has them over at his house, (Our old house years ago). 

Ah... Avalon Hill... fond memories there.  We played a lot of The Battle of Jutland.  No board to speak of.   At work and lunch time, we used an empty conference room (with permission from the owner who had a key and liked to play also).  Sometimes the lunch hour ran long because the owner didn't want to quit.  :)  Did the same thing you did... even for Dungions and Dragons.  Had boxes of figures for that, ships and planes for the war games.  I kind of miss those days.

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

There is no way I would even attempt a two or three ship encounter let alone something like Trafalgar! The most ships I would do on our "Game" days was six ships, and even that got kind of wild sometimes if lines of battle got broken.

Sounds like my new puppy!

image.png.e31a87027d050c55338d2b60c2426a22.png

He did this in about ten minutes, they were all in the bag and it was tied! Other days he will empty the red and white bed behind him of his toys and they will be spread all over the room. The game chair on the left is where my youngest kid lives and he trashes that side of the room as well!

Cute little fella my friend.

OC.

5 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Ah... Avalon Hill... fond memories there.  We played a lot of The Battle of Jutland.  No board to speak of.   At work and lunch time, we used an empty conference room (with permission from the owner who had a key and liked to play also).  Sometimes the lunch hour ran long because the owner didn't want to quit.  :)  Did the same thing you did... even for Dungions and Dragons.  Had boxes of figures for that, ships and planes for the war games.  I kind of miss those days.

I used to love playing with my soldiers  the waterloo period I felt was a romantic period  oh and colorful  with all the different color schemes.

OC.

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

I kind of miss those days.

I do to.

I played Battle of Jutland a few times as well. But didn't like it as much because there was no way I could make the ships needed to play in 3D and the ranges were so far! There was also a game made by some company called "Raider" that played in a similar manner.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

Cute little fella my friend.

More like mischievous! 

Edited by lmagna

I kind of had a figure like that in our dungeon game sets. I called him Bruce the pinhead barbarian! He would be out on the table somewhere even if he was not being used. I used him to keep the kids honest telling them that if they cheated I would bring him in and deal with them!

Sitting alert, we got into a lot of board games (except the poker players). I remember having a magazine subscription with a new game showing up on a regular basis. Re-fought Gettysburg and D-Day any number of times. And a few of Napoleon's, too.

Oh man how I loved Panzer Leader. The best game ever invented by the hand of man. Nobody to play it with now, who has the time or the attention span? But for sailing ships the other Avalon Hill game I loved, and still own, is Wooden a Ships and iron Men, also mentioned by others here. I’ve managed  to inflict this game on unsuspecting landlubbers but only by throwing out many of the rules and simplifying the game.

On 12/5/2018 at 7:18 AM, Canute said:

Sitting alert, we got into a lot of board games (except the poker players). I remember having a magazine subscription with a new game showing up on a regular basis. Re-fought Gettysburg and D-Day any number of times. And a few of Napoleon's, too.

Strategy&Tactics magazine!  Published by Simulations Publications, Inc.   Every other month you got a magazine with a war game included. SPI also sold bigger boxed games.  I still have about a dozen or more games, all from the mid-late 70s.  

A group of friends and I used to play them a lot. We found the Avalon Hill games to have better components, with mounted board game style game boards, but the SPI games, with their folded maps and less colorful game materials, were more playable, with Innovative rules and game systems.

O C you've  really took me back to being about ten with the small Airfix soldiers. I had the whole Waterloo/Napoleonic series and my mum was forever losing her dining table as it got covered in a green blanket over cushions for hills and ther they would stay for a couple of days til I'd finished the battle

I'm clearly very late to this conversation, but I have to admit I used to be an avid wargamer. And, do I mean AVID. 

I still have my AH games on a shelf: Panzer Blitz, Panzer Leader, Squad Leader and I think the first supplement Iron Cross. I know I've got Midway around too, but I don't know what happened to my copy of Wooden Ships and Iron Men. One of my favorites, one that actually got played a lot(!), was Tobruk.

I was also a subscriber to Strategy & Tactics, and even a lesser known magazine that folded a few months after I first subscribed. I think it might have been called Conflict magazine. Came with my first ever wargame, a simple, very playable, but kind of abstract representation of the battle of the Alamo.

Later, I got into all sorts of the super complex games from Simulations Publications like Foxbat and Phantom, Firefight, Air War, and Nato Division Commander. I even owned the Game Designers' Workshop mega-game Drang Nach Osten, but it was too massive to ever play. Now that I think of it, I do believe I still have a copy of their modern company-level games Assault and Boots & Saddles (Air Assault) somewhere.

It all tapered off after I delved more into sci-fi RPG stuff – even ended up writing some material for GDW and others. But, that was all in another life – I'm all about ship and boat modeling now!

1 hour ago, catopower said:

One of my favorites, one that actually got played a lot(!), was Tobruk.

Yep, my friend and I used to play that one quite a bit, too. There was nothing quite like turning a Bofors 40mm on one of the Italian tanks -- no offense meant to our Italian friends! There was also a definite lack of cover on the terrain maps for some reason. 😉

9 hours ago, ccoyle said:

There was also a definite lack of cover on the terrain maps for some reason. 😉

Maybe it's because it was like fighting on the ocean, a lack of terrain and all, that I liked the game so much?  I also like rolling the die to determine armor penetration based on hit location and vehicle facing (I seem to remember feeling lucky when hitting an enemy tank's turret ring).

For a long time, I always wanted to play Wooden Ships and Iron Men, but didn't have the game. I remember being interested in it before it was an AH game. I believe it was originally called Beat to Quarters, but I don't remember the publisher.

Those were the days...