GrandpaPhil

Prince de Neufchatel by GrandpaPhil - FINISHED - 1/72 - from Chapelle Plans - Card

Posted (edited)

The first of the 9 lb. cannon:

It’s far from perfect, but once it’s painted, it’ll be just fine.

By the way, all guns are going to have glass seed beads glued to their breeches for cascabels along the getting the breech eyebolts for the breeching rope.

The last picture is after I sanded it to clean it up a bit.

88B9BD5F-BCE9-4EA9-AE84-31ED510D8536.jpeg

761990E4-1206-4C12-B57D-A2745590B7F2.jpeg

5CA47523-18EC-48C0-8114-B69CB0D406E3.jpeg

Edited by GrandpaPhil
Spelling errors

2 hours ago, Wallace said:

Wow, I missed so much progress while I was away this week. You have done a great job Phil, really. You have a right to be proud sir.

Thank you, Mark!  Much appreciated!

The Prince de Neufchatel now has teeth.  The guns are glued in place.

I also made the anchors (final painting is pending).  These are my second set due to those scaling issues that I mentioned earlier.  I had to reduce them in size to fit properly.

I am going to install the anchors and have a gun rigging party.  Due to some more scaling issues, rigging blocks are not going to fit, but I can still put the rigging in place, oh well.

B158B7A5-C070-4ADF-A6A8-519B358465DF.jpeg

6AED83C2-117D-422E-9994-B2B612317D40.jpeg

5711DFCF-78A2-414E-999E-9784D8086119.jpeg

C819784D-4DAA-42B4-BFA5-A8F6B240D2AF.jpeg

Posted (edited)

My next iteration of rigging blocks (for the anchors):

I was inspired to reshape them after seeing the work of others on this site.

0E95AC44-99F2-4937-99AE-3418C251D164.jpeg

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Anchors are rigged and finished:

On to the boats.  I’m going to make male molds for the 3 different types of boats that the Prince de Neufchatel carried, and build the boat’s frames, keel and planking upside down.  The molds will be made bread and butter fashion.

I’m using the AOTS for the Victory, due to the time period and similarity between American and British Naval equipment, as my source.

950E24FD-9BE9-4659-999F-A453D7838ABA.jpeg

C1E52750-3706-45D7-8A4E-2DF7C4D8FA4F.jpeg

Posted (edited)

It’s been a very educational evening.  

I learned how to make a hull using the bread and butter technique.  I layered the hulls (the male molds anyways) for three ship’s boats.  I carved them to their final shapes before sanding them smooth and labeling them to put in my bits bins for later reuse, after I am done with them.

I am confident that I could scratch build a ship’s hull with the bread and butter method.

I took pictures of the hull blanks in the positions of the ship’s boats, which I will begin tomorrow.  They will be made IAW Zu Monfeld (just out of card).

The stern boat will hang by davits, which I will also begin tomorrow.

1BA3D5CF-AE3F-4D5C-BBFB-6CADFED67431.jpeg

24D7B787-7E40-456D-9784-FB08D8E81534.jpeg

91D05EE5-2DF8-4894-AD17-BCC7E87DFFF3.jpeg

Edited by GrandpaPhil