cats

michael mott

So do we. We have been keeping our cats inside till 10 am each day since the feral b**** beat two of them up on two consecutive mornings. He also leaves them remains of birds behind. We're thinking of borrowing the neighbour's possum trap and taking him (the cat) to be dealt with . . .

Steven

6 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

Feral cats kit millions of native animals!

Yes, but they also help keep the rat populations down in some areas.  I live near Chicago and that city has started releasing feral cats into the alleys to help catch rats.  I don't condone it because if the rats are sick then the cats get sick and you have a worse problem.  I think they do vaccinate the cats before releasing them, but how long that immunity lasts, I don't know.

We have two feral cats that hang around in our yard.  We call them Kilroy and Peekaboo since they sit by our deck and peek over the edge at us while waiting for me to bring them something to eat.  I give them wet cat food in the morning and dry cat food and meal scraps in the evening.  They tolerate each other, but Kilroy is the dominant cat.  After he eats and moves away from the dishes, then Peekaboo comes and finishes everything up.  These two are too feral to find homes for.  For years we have taken in unwanted cats.  Some we have kept and some we have found homes for, if they are not too feral.

8 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

We have been keeping our cats inside till 10 am each day

We currently have only 1 inside cat and we do not let him outside at all.  None of our inside cats have ever been allowed outside.  There are too many dangers out there for them.  We have coyotes that come around occasionally and we also have too much traffic in our area.  I see dead squirrels in the street all the time.  I feel bad for the squirrels, but it's usually a quick death and they then act as food for the hawks, crows and other carnivores in our area.

Just to put it in perspective, extensive studies carried out by three universities here in Oz have come up with an estimate of 300 million animals (mammals, birds and reptiles - mostly native species) are killed by domestic cats in Australia every year.  A further 1.7 billion (yes, that's billion) animals are killed by feral cats.  In a further finding they have stated that rather then keeping down rodent numbers, rats and mice act as a food source for cats, which further boosts their numbers.  Sobering figures!

I love cats, but our bird and small mammal populations are crumbling under this onslaught.

John