Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee 1869 to 1886 by Keith Black - scale 1:120

29 minutes ago, KeithAug said:

Keith you must be suffering from early onset perfectionism

Keith, I'm suffering from a lot of early everything. :blink: It's not perfectionism, it just wasn't right. I strive to do the best I can (I wish I had 50 more years of experience where I could really do this model justice) while building as accurately as possible from the H and H photos. Yes, hail to steam and sail!

nice redo Keith, you would only have regretted not doing it in the long run

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

1 hour ago, paulsutcliffe said:

you would only have regretted not doing it

Paul, absolutely. Had I not made the change and then completed, every time I looked at it I would have questioned my lazy judgement.

Thank you Paul and Keith for the comments and to all those for the "likes"

Nice work Keith, it's a pleasure to see this come along.

WRT one of your earlier posts regarding the cannon, I'm pretty sure that was a boat howitzer, small enough that it could be hoisted into a boat and carried ashore with a landing party and then moved around on land by hand. If you have every watched a Navy football game on television, they have one that they fire after every touchdown. They are solid brass and look good - as does your model. Keep up the good work.

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

Tim, thank you.

Regarding the cannon, in this H and H photo it appears to be a signal cannon but then I'm not a cannon expert. Unfortunately this is the only close up photo of the cannon. 

S41o92Q.jpg

2 hours ago, Keith Black said:

this is the only close up photo of the cannon.

Keith - you must have X-ray eyes - i can't even see a cannon.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

48 minutes ago, KeithAug said:

i can't even see a cannon.

Ask those officers to step aside, it's right there. The muzzle is right there in the middle at wrist height. 

Bow surgery completed. Now working on bowsprit 3.0, the bowsprit is pinned to the deck and is removable. The banding is temporary, just getting  feel for placement. I like the looks of this bowsprit much better, now the bow looks a lot more like that of the real Tennessee. 

IMG_4008.JPG

IMG_4009.JPG

IMG_4012.JPG

Edited by Keith Black

• 2 weeks later...

For whatever reason, work has progressed slowly these past couple of weeks. I've spent a lot of time with very little results to show for it. I will say, I've had to do a lot of looking at the H and H photos and MSW build logs. The jackstaff with the thirty-seven star union jack adds another color other than black and white. Getting all the eyelets in the dolphin striker, bowsprit, and jib boom was a bit fiddly. I'm now ready to add the corresponding attachment fittings to the hull and hopefully in a couple of weeks the bow will be finished and I can go back to making yards. 

IMG_4019.JPG

IMG_4021.JPG

IMG_4024.JPG

IMG_4031.JPG

Hello Keith.  

Just found this log and have enjoyed reading through it.  This is an interesting subject and the model is coming along very nicely indeed.  I like the cannons (wheels too), and the control pedestal is crazy detailed at such a small size.  I also like the color of the deck and the overall feel of the model.  Your decision to redo the masts I believe was a good one and the replacements look great and to scale. 

On 12/22/2018 at 11:53 PM, Keith Black said:

My rules have been, that if I couldn't make it look close to what an element actually looked like, don't make it. Don't make an element if you can't verify it was actually part of the ship (don't make up history, accurately portray history to the best of your ability) Don't make an element if it's going to look cheesy, better to not make it at all

I couldn’t agree with your philosophy more Keith - perfectly stated, and that is how I approach my own models.  It’s like we’re brothers from different mothers.

Looking forward to future updates.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Gary

I'm humbled by your comments, high praise indeed coming from someone who's work I much admire. I'm glad the subject interest you, I wish more would take on projects from this period. 

Thank you to everyone for the likes, it helps one keep going when doubts start creeping in. 

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
Well, this took much longer than expected!
Rigging the bowsprit was by far and away the most difficult thing that I've yet done modeling. There are 137 pieces to the bowsprit and rigging. It really tested my patience, I wish I could say I was totally satisfied with the results but I'm not. I need to redo the rope lines at the top of the dolphin striker. 
 I hope that each of you and your families are enjoying the Holiday Season, peace and joy to my modeling family. 

IMG_4032.JPG

IMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4094.JPG

IMG_4096.JPG

IMG_4049.JPG

IMG_4045.JPG

Nice work on the rigging Keith, where did you get the chain from? Also lovely spindle backed chair. Merry Christmas.

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

2 hours ago, KeithAug said:

where did you get the chain from

Thank you Keith for the compliment......... purchased the chain here in the colonies from a store called Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts, they have an online presence. I would gladly mail some to you, PM me if interested in going that route. Merry Christmas to you and yours. 

13 hours ago, Keith Black said:

There are 137 pieces to the bowsprit and rigging.

That really is quite a nest of chain, rope, hooks and eyes - but it turned out very nice Keith and neatly done.  

14 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Well, this took much longer than expected!

My experience has always been, that what ever time I predict any task or project will take, I should just double or triple it.   It always looks easier in the imagining.

Happy Holidays.

Gary

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

3 hours ago, Keith Black said:

I would gladly mail some to you, PM me if interested in going that route.

Very kind Keith. I don't really need it for some time so I will keep looking over here. If i don't find anything as good I will get back to you. How many links per inch is it?

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

5 hours ago, KeithAug said:

How many links per inch is it

The larger of the two used in rigging  the bowsprit is fourteen links per inch, the smaller is twenty links per inch. Keith, I've got a bunch of chain with your name on it, if you don't take it off my hands I'll be burdened with it till I kick the bucket.

6 hours ago, FriedClams said:

It always looks easier in the imagining

That is the God's honest truth! Thank you Gary for the complement and Happy Holidays to you and yours.  

And a special thank you to all for the likes.

Paul, Amelia said to tell you, Merry Catmas.

Merry Catmas to you both as well

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

• 2 months later...
 It's been awhile since I posted. I've been working on the Tennessee, it's just slow going these days. 
 In my last entry I was planning to make the yards next but I decided I first needed to complete all the deck elements, rigging lays many leagues ahead. I started by ripping out the pin rails, I wasn't happy with my first attempt. I'm in the process of correcting those along with adding ladders, deck cleats, fairleads, bollards, lifeboat davits and scores of eyebolts to the deck and bulkhead.  
 Bob found a permanent home on the starboard side of the flying bridge, he's studying a chart of the Pearl River, noting the corals to starboard of the entrance. (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) 
 Oh, bad news regarding the crew, Yellow Fever found it's way onboard and the crew has been quarantined to ship. The laughter of nut brown maidens will not be enjoyed during the Tennessee's time in Hawaiian waters. 

IMG_4105.JPG

IMG_4108.JPG

IMG_4106.JPG

IMG_4109.JPG

IMG_4112.JPG

IMG_4113.JPG

IMG_4117.JPG

IMG_4124.JPG

IMG_4121.JPG

One of the deck elements that remains to be done is an Item that I have no idea what it is? It's stationed at the bulkhead between the two Dahlgren rifles. This is the starboard side view and I assume there is one on the port side as well. I think I can make it to a level of acceptability but I'd dearly love to know what it is I'm trying to replicate. Because of where it's stationed it must have to do with the rifles but then that's a guess. Anyone with any ideas please sing out. Thank you in advance. 

IMG_4127.JPG

204435_0.jpg

39CO2cC.jpg

5 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Oh, bad news regarding the crew, Yellow Fever found it's way onboard and the crew has been quarantined to ship.

What goes around comes around Keith. Looks like we will all be quarantined soon.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

5 minutes ago, KeithAug said:

Looks like we will all be quarantined soon

My dear wife and I went into self imposed isolation last Thursday evening at 6 PM. It's a different world than it was a month ago for all of us. Keith, to you, yours, and to everyone here at MSW, I wish you all the very best in these difficult times. 

2 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

My dear wife and I went into self imposed isolation last Thursday evening at 6 PM

Yes Keith. My son and his wife departed with our granddaughter (age 5 months) earlier today. Both parents are doctors in major London hospitals. It’s going to be a long time before we see any of them again.  May you and your loved ones keep safe.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

46 minutes ago, KeithAug said:

It’s going to be a long time before we see any of them again

Buddy, my heart goes out to you. 

Hi Keith, somehow I have missed this log; apologies.  I will have to be careful not to mix the two Keith's up ;)

Great to see another model of a ship of this era.  There are many elements in her I see in my HMCSS Victoria also. 

You have done a great job with her so far.   That object you see may be a 'crane'.  Victoria's Contract required the fitting of 2 x portable cranes for coaling and the removal of ash - your object, if a crane, look to be more likely to be a fixed type.  The object you show/circled appears to be located in a position that would serve this requirement for one of the stoke holes at least?  If it is a crane, there would possibly have been another also, I am sure they will have been used for other purposes such as storing ship. 

A search of the NMM elicited two designs for portable deck cranes in the 1850s, but they were generally too large for my needs, but appear to be a closer match, but not an exact match, to yours.   If you search the NMM Collections>Ship Plans>Equipment for drawings ZAZ6825 and ZAZ6824 you will find the examples I mentioned.

cheers, and stay safe

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

26 minutes ago, BANYAN said:

be careful not to mix the two Keith's up

Pat, I don't think that'll be an issue, just remember, I'm like Target, he's like Harrods. As far as the object in question being a crane, I don't think so for two reasons. One, location. That would make for a very awkward position between the two rifles plus it's awfully small for a crane. Second, see the photo below (you've got to be able to enlarge the heck out of it). There are only six lifeboats in every picture of the Tennessee that I've come across. But forward of the main there appears to be a set of davits on either side for another possible set of lifeboats or that's what I thought for a long time till I saw your comments somewhere herein on the subject of cranes and ash hauling. I now believe those are not supposed to be davits but are in fact used as cranes for offloading ash. The position makes sense because it's forward of both Dahlgren and Parrot rifle stations yet far enough to the rear of the bow Dahlgren so as to minimize wayward ash getting into the rifle mechanisms. I'm going to make two of the little buggers so stay tuned, we'll revisit the crane possibility afterward. I tried searching NMM Collections>Ship Plans>Equipment for drawings ZAZ6825 and ZAZ6824 without success? Thank you for the complement! 

P2b6jhS.jpg

You are probably right on the object not being a crane Keith.   To clarify, I should have said the 'pedestal' for a crane.  Like the base/pedestal of this one in the thumbnail (credit:  NMM Collections ZAZ6824) - the top/arm part may have been a lot smaller though and removed when not in use?  All that said though, your other considerations seems to put paid to that suggestion :)  I hope you can find an answer to that one.

cheers

Pat

1892560064_PortableShipsCraneHumly.jpg.c2c54ec3dd3cec62237e85415e55163a.jpg

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Wow... great progress and well done.   Bob seems to be in a good place that will keep him out of trouble.

As for the "what is it?".... I'm not sure it's a pedestal as it appears to be bolted to the bulkhead.  I zoomed in as much as I could and it looks like a bracket at the bottom and top...  There's another round one higher up.   Doesn't look like a pump but perhaps it's to hold the rammer for one of the guns?  Dunno'.

204435_0.jpg.78cab9b9f99c962e3676649a08f5a9dd.jpg.16ccdabd5f423e84284a187be489f59e.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Keith,  Good to see an update on the Tennessee - it’s a nice looking model.  Sorry I can’t offer anything on the mystery object.  It makes me think of a tank for compressed air.  Hopefully someone will come up with an answer for you.  Keep at it and keep healthy.

Gary

Completed Scratch Builds

Thank you to all for the compliments and likes, it makes the work go a lot easier.

I went down a few rabbit holes trying to determine what the canister in question is, in searching I came across the following from Gunnery Catechism by J.D. Brandt published 1864..........PG 97 regarding riffled ammunition, "The base of every rifle projectile shall be greased before putting it into the gun". 

https://books.google.com/books?id=S2cDAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA79&lpg=PA79&dq=quill+tube,+capped+by+a+percussion+wafer&source=bl&ots=2lD2_WedlF&sig=ACfU3U23-gMKr0IomCT7G3Lyr4UNVJOzzA&hl=en&ppis=_e&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjk9LHX5qPoAhXZG80KHXC2CHsQ6AEwAHoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=quill tube%2C capped by a percussion wafer&f=false

All the guns on the Tennessee's main deck are rifled, I think this is a grease canister for projectiles and carriage. One would think that grease would be made available at every firing station, not in a bucket to be stepped in or fouled with sand but something like the canister in question with a narrow neck with the opening being above deck so as not to be contaminated.

This is my best guess and unless someone has a better one, I moving on.

This is "what is it" prototype at .20 wide and .45 high. There needs to be a little tweaking before going into a nine piece run.

Thank you again to each of you.

IMG_4142.JPG

IMG_4134.JPG

Edited by Keith Black