Keith Black

Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee 1869 to 1886 by Keith Black - scale 1:120

29 minutes ago, KeithAug said:

Keith you must be suffering from early onset perfectionism

Keith, I'm suffering from a lot of early everything. :blink: It's not perfectionism, it just wasn't right. I strive to do the best I can (I wish I had 50 more years of experience where I could really do this model justice) while building as accurately as possible from the H and H photos. Yes, hail to steam and sail!

1 hour ago, paulsutcliffe said:

you would only have regretted not doing it

Paul, absolutely. Had I not made the change and then completed, every time I looked at it I would have questioned my lazy judgement.

Thank you Paul and Keith for the comments and to all those for the "likes"

Nice work Keith, it's a pleasure to see this come along.

WRT one of your earlier posts regarding the cannon, I'm pretty sure that was a boat howitzer, small enough that it could be hoisted into a boat and carried ashore with a landing party and then moved around on land by hand. If you have every watched a Navy football game on television, they have one that they fire after every touchdown. They are solid brass and look good - as does your model. Keep up the good work.

Bow surgery completed. Now working on bowsprit 3.0, the bowsprit is pinned to the deck and is removable. The banding is temporary, just getting  feel for placement. I like the looks of this bowsprit much better, now the bow looks a lot more like that of the real Tennessee. 

IMG_4008.JPG

IMG_4009.JPG

IMG_4012.JPG

Edited by Keith Black

For whatever reason, work has progressed slowly these past couple of weeks. I've spent a lot of time with very little results to show for it. I will say, I've had to do a lot of looking at the H and H photos and MSW build logs. The jackstaff with the thirty-seven star union jack adds another color other than black and white. Getting all the eyelets in the dolphin striker, bowsprit, and jib boom was a bit fiddly. I'm now ready to add the corresponding attachment fittings to the hull and hopefully in a couple of weeks the bow will be finished and I can go back to making yards. 

IMG_4019.JPG

IMG_4021.JPG

IMG_4024.JPG

IMG_4031.JPG

Hello Keith.  

Just found this log and have enjoyed reading through it.  This is an interesting subject and the model is coming along very nicely indeed.  I like the cannons (wheels too), and the control pedestal is crazy detailed at such a small size.  I also like the color of the deck and the overall feel of the model.  Your decision to redo the masts I believe was a good one and the replacements look great and to scale. 

On 12/22/2018 at 11:53 PM, Keith Black said:

My rules have been, that if I couldn't make it look close to what an element actually looked like, don't make it. Don't make an element if you can't verify it was actually part of the ship (don't make up history, accurately portray history to the best of your ability) Don't make an element if it's going to look cheesy, better to not make it at all

I couldn’t agree with your philosophy more Keith - perfectly stated, and that is how I approach my own models.  It’s like we’re brothers from different mothers.

Looking forward to future updates.

Gary

Gary

I'm humbled by your comments, high praise indeed coming from someone who's work I much admire. I'm glad the subject interest you, I wish more would take on projects from this period. 

Thank you to everyone for the likes, it helps one keep going when doubts start creeping in. 

Keith

Well, this took much longer than expected!
Rigging the bowsprit was by far and away the most difficult thing that I've yet done modeling. There are 137 pieces to the bowsprit and rigging. It really tested my patience, I wish I could say I was totally satisfied with the results but I'm not. I need to redo the rope lines at the top of the dolphin striker. 
 I hope that each of you and your families are enjoying the Holiday Season, peace and joy to my modeling family. 

IMG_4032.JPG

IMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4094.JPG

IMG_4096.JPG

IMG_4049.JPG

IMG_4045.JPG

2 hours ago, KeithAug said:

where did you get the chain from

Thank you Keith for the compliment......... purchased the chain here in the colonies from a store called Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts, they have an online presence. I would gladly mail some to you, PM me if interested in going that route. Merry Christmas to you and yours. 

13 hours ago, Keith Black said:

There are 137 pieces to the bowsprit and rigging.

That really is quite a nest of chain, rope, hooks and eyes - but it turned out very nice Keith and neatly done.  

14 hours ago, Keith Black said:

Well, this took much longer than expected!

My experience has always been, that what ever time I predict any task or project will take, I should just double or triple it.   It always looks easier in the imagining.

Happy Holidays.

Gary

3 hours ago, Keith Black said:

I would gladly mail some to you, PM me if interested in going that route.

Very kind Keith. I don't really need it for some time so I will keep looking over here. If i don't find anything as good I will get back to you. How many links per inch is it?

5 hours ago, KeithAug said:

How many links per inch is it

The larger of the two used in rigging  the bowsprit is fourteen links per inch, the smaller is twenty links per inch. Keith, I've got a bunch of chain with your name on it, if you don't take it off my hands I'll be burdened with it till I kick the bucket.

6 hours ago, FriedClams said:

It always looks easier in the imagining

That is the God's honest truth! Thank you Gary for the complement and Happy Holidays to you and yours.  

And a special thank you to all for the likes.

Paul, Amelia said to tell you, Merry Catmas.