HMS Fly by vths - Victory Models - Scale 1:64 - Second wooden kit build

Thanks Andy, I forgot that you have also made your own quarter badges and they look great. 

I will dump those white plastic pieces and use wooden ones. One of the lower parts is finished and now it is 4.5 mm thick and there will be no problem to make it thinner if necessary. 

post-506-0-56285300-1383501388_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-08686500-1383501390_thumb.jpg

1st build - HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current build - HMS Fly (Victory/Amati)

I'll definitely try, but I really have no idea what that damn plan of Fly represents. I see nothing but some indefinite curves and it is even not clear, where the upper part of the quarter badge starts and ends.

post-506-0-73207300-1383503613_thumb.jpg

You have some fine fish on it, but I presume these are reserved for Pegasus. I'll try to do the homework and research some more. 

post-506-0-52002800-1383503614_thumb.jpg

Anyway, Watton's plans for the quarter badges refer more to HMS Pegasus, Fly has even different shape, so I will have to mend them. 

Edited by vths

I'm not worried that my Fly may be a Pegasus/Fly hybrid with respect to the quarter badge but absolute historical accuracy is not my thing. If you look at the TFFM volumes you will see many variations from the kit, some I'll adopt, some I'll ignore. Andy is correct, one central opening only and the TFFM indicates it was rectangular without an arch at the head. I've arched my opening as it feels better to me.

Your carving so far looks great and I'm sure you are up to detailing it further.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Andy> I agree, if the plans of the Fly are the best I can get, than anything with scrollwork should do just fine. 

Thanks for the info about the opening, I'm glad that I do not have to widen it, 'cause a bulkhead is in the way. 

This already looks more Flyish

post-506-0-14020200-1383514521_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

hello Vitus 

my name is Lawrence and I live in Greece,

I hope to start building the HMS Fly very soon

I noticed your pins, the ones with the big green tops, and would like to know where you obtained them.

I have seached almost everywhere and can't find them

regards Lawrence

Hi Lawrence, these are simple modelling pins and they are available in most Czech model shops. If you google "modelling pins" you'll probably find a shop that offers them (for example http://balsacabin.webs.com/accothers.html ) but you're probably looking for a Greek shop. 

• 1 month later...

Hey folks, long time no see. Recently I've been playing with somewhat larger planks and plasterboards, but now I've found time for my little Swan. 

I've made the stove over, since it was ugly and shabby. Now it is a bit less ugly. 

post-506-0-83267400-1388331613_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-31984300-1388331628_thumb.jpg

Here it sits between the standards of the riding bit which has its crosspiece "held" by hooks. 

post-506-0-54285700-1388331634_thumb.jpg

Lower part of the capstan in place. I chose not to alter it in any way, because it will be hidden anyway. 

post-506-0-86439300-1388331640_thumb.jpg

Nice work on that stove - they are a fun little model. I especially like your copper lids. One thing I found from the FFM was that the stove can be turned the other way around if it helps you with clearances under the deck beams. The capstan looks very sharp too.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, yours is still much better looking, as well as the capstan. I had no patience to work on the stove that hard, since it's black and almost won't be visible under the deck. I'm going to unleash the preserved energy  ;) on the captain's cabin, even though Doris is giving us tough lessons with her Royal Caroline fittings, those really took the wind out of my Fly's sails, if she had any. Just check the latest posts: http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=68385&start=675

Hi Vitus

I only just noticed that you took out the stern frames to allow for the cabin details. Good move. I find my outer frames overlap with the outer windows and fixing this will require excavations. Peter (Mr Hollum) had this sorted much sooner but I missed it.

You seem to have removed the upper part of the wale where it turns into the stem. I'm curious about that.

All in all a very fine looking ship, you are taking the kit much further than I and I look forward to seeing your cabin details even though I have no intention of trying to do the same on my Fly.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers, Alistair. The part of the wale needs to be removed, cause there is a piece of decoration to be placed, just check the plans. 

I understand that you are too far to mend the stern in order to create the cabin, but don't worry, you have another gems like the lovely stove and gun carriages and I'm sure there are more to follow.

Edited by vths

Since I have to place a few guns before covering the gun deck and the carriages in the kit are clearly oversized, I decided to make some of my own before finishing the captain's cabin. 

I used 1.5mm thick lime, printer, plans of 6pounder armstrong gun, milling machine, but mostly small files. Now it is time to make the wheels. 

post-506-0-25378600-1388944209_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-31616900-1388944210_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-43675700-1388944211_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-48521200-1388944212_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-35373100-1388944213_thumb.jpg

Thanks, B.E. 

I want to fit the cabin only with a few more chairs, possibly some other piece of furniture and a bit of details like swords, compass, etc. Just to show something lying on the table. There will be no partitions, the view inside the cabin through the windows is limited anyway. 

So far I'm very satisfied with the carriages. They are light, up to the right scale and as you said, they will be easy to fit out as well as attach to the deck. 

Hi Vitus

That great cabin will be the envy of the whole fleet (of Flies and Pegasuses). And I love that stove too. Those are great improvements.

If you allow a little but…

In my opinion the decoration on the bow sit’s on top of the whale (at least on my Pegasus). I would close the whale and put the decoration on top of it. I think this looks better.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Peter

Nice work. Very interesting treatment of the cabin, very cool.

- Bug

Thanks guys. That cut out wale is according to the plans in the kit. Don't know about Pegasus, but in this case it has to be like that, otherwise I would not be able to attach decoration - it would have to sit both on the wale and on the plank above. Those black supports (or whathever they are called) ale placed according to the original plan of the Fly, so I had no choice and I hope it will look good once I finish the decoration. 

Edited by vths

Hi Great work on the cannons the cast ones on Fly are horrid the Pegasus one are much better I cannot see why they have two different sets, your ones are now better than the wooded Pegasus ones. Great detail in the cabin, its a pity you can not see much of the detail very well once completed, still I did that with the top and but deck on my Diana. Also the wale does needs continuing to the bow, a length of decoration goes over that bit.

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

You have a point there, B.E.  I will see what can be done about that, but now there are some carriages and cannons to do. Now I'm creating the wheels (5 and 4.5 mm in diameter) using 5mm planks, which is a tedious job, but it has to be done. 

post-506-0-83938300-1389302966_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Made some progress, but also a few mistakes. I bought small poles made of oak which are much better to create wheels - I only have to cut them and make a hole in the middle. 

Then there are blackened metal eyes, but the blackening does not last, so I've ordered some eyes with black patina to replace the present ones. The new ones should also be more up to scale.

And then the guns. At first, their trunnions had to be shortened, because they were overlapping the carriages. Then I cleaned them with petrol, used metal primer and then a mixture of Tamyia Flat Black and Metallic Grey. 

It is finally shaping up. 

post-506-0-53874700-1408046477_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-66386100-1408046473_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-19379700-1408046476_thumb.jpg

Edited by vths

Great looking guns, you nailed that paint mixture.

- Bug