HMS Fly by vths - Victory Models - Scale 1:64 - Second wooden kit build

Thanks, today I was experimenting with matt and semi-matt varnish and I finally chose to apply diluted semi-matt Nelson. The guns finally look as I wanted to. 

post-506-0-83491100-1408046511_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-41701900-1408046514_thumb.jpg

Edited by vths

1st build - HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current build - HMS Fly (Victory/Amati)

I made mine out annealed brass pins hammered flat then compressed over the raised trunions.

A little bit of filing and two blobs of thick glue for the fixings.

Once they were painted it looked the nuts.

I did use the original carrages though.

Edited by miketherock

Built: Bounty, Lady Nelson, Endeavour, Granardo.

Finishing, HMS Fly, Victory, another Bounty

Want to build, Snake, Vanguard, Aggamemnon,  

I finally finished the prototype. There are new photoetched eyes which are much more to scale, pins in axles and capsquares made of copper foil and .5mm copper wire. I think that'll do for now. 

post-506-0-10838500-1408046543_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-57988600-1408046544_thumb.jpg

Edited by vths

Great work Vitus. Your carriage romps all over the kit supplied ones and is easily equal to those after market ones you can buy. Although I still have doubts about the kit barrel in terms of scale, your treatment of it makes it look the part well. Superb photos too by the way.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Just finished the first batch of 10 sixpounders for the covered parts of the gun deck, so I've made also a few pictures of them. Looks like its decorating time now and doing whatever can be and has to be done before covering the deck.

post-506-0-62814800-1408046572_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-39331100-1408046574_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-73727000-1408046578_thumb.jpg

Edited by vths

Thanks B.E.  I was just checking your log and the fine progress you made. I'm very worried about the guns though. How did you manage to work so heavily on the ship with the guns run out? I feel like at some point I will make a bad move and break some of them off, which is a bit terrifying. Also, is there any reason why you have no guns visible in the very front and rear ports? (perhaps because of the same fear I have :)

Thanks Vitus, unshipping a gun in an inconvenient place is always a worry. To try and reduce the risk I pinned the carriages to the deck and pinned  and glued the cap squares to hold the trunnions in place on the barrel. The barrels are not glued and do move which reduces a little the effect of any shocks. Coupled with the rigging I hope this is enough to keep them safe.

The foremost port is a Bridle port rather than a gun port and there isn't really any room to stow a gun there anyway. On the kit all the ports are the same size but in reality the Bridle port should be narrower.

Pegasus was a fourteen gunner and although the aftermost port was cut, a gun was not placed there. With Fly which had a much longer career than Pegasus, additional guns in the aftermost port would be appropriate.

Cheers,

B.E.

Always learning something new, thanks.

Yesterday it was gallery carving time. I used walnut and limewood, but the result is not much satisfying, I don't like the colours. Maybe I should paint the great parts in plain ochre or maybe use a completely different scheme. Any opinion?

post-506-0-87660900-1390829850_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-70930000-1390829851_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-45026900-1390829852_thumb.jpg

That looks fine to me Vitus, the colour tone echoes that of the rails, and the decoration level looks fine for what is a lowly Sixth Rate. The only thing I might think about changing is the Acanthus leaves decoration on the Canopy to a relief moulding rather than cut into the Canopy itself.

Such decoration could be fashioned from thin card or paper and simply stuck on and varnished over, just a thought.

B.E.

Cheers guys.

B.E. the very same occured to me and I tried to use modeller's clay to create the moulding, but it was utter rubbish. So let's forget the galleries for a while and present the captain with a few chairs. Great for small parties with senior officers. 

post-506-0-47042600-1391028939_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-28936900-1391028940_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-58399300-1391028941_thumb.jpg

Hi Vitus

Your quarter badges look good but I think compared to the rest of your build they will annoy you later on. As per earlier posts, I reckon you'd still be well served with the Pegasus PE set to lift the detail - window frames, pillars, window head/sill and decorations. However you do get a bit of hybrid ship and that might not suit you. I guess my thought is that the badge needs to be as sharp as everything else and (more an observation than a criticism) at the moment it isn't to my eye.

The cabin looks really great. Not quite a Doris job but who, aside from her, does a Doris job? My cabin is a black hole but it is too late now to retreat from that.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Thanks for the honest words, Alistair. As for the badges, they surely won't annoy me later on, 'cause they annoy me already :) But I needed to hear/read something like this to make a decision and scrap them. I will make new pieces, this time using much harder wood (got a few pieces of acacia left), no soft and fragile lime. 

Yes, Doris job is uncomparable, but she does that at different scale and in different universe :) Cheers, V.

The cabin furniture is great!  I can just imagine Jack Aubry gorging himself in there on toasted cheese, or spotted dog. :D

Cheers (or perhaps I should say, Sir, the bottle stands by you!),

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Cheers, Martinw. Jack just got some new equipment and a bottle of port. There is also new lighting - instead of two huge LEDs I've installed short piece of LED strip - more light and it won't be visible through the windows

post-506-0-72343800-1391191308_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-33759300-1391191309_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey folks, got a small update. I finally moved on and closed the rear deck, so the captain's cabin is finished and sealed and six guns with basic breeching are in place. On starboard side they are run out and on the port side they are in for reloading. I'm planning to show them at different stages of reloading, but that is so far just a thought for the visible ones.  

Now I need to get rid of the dust and plank the rest of the decks.

post-506-0-10956500-1399271467_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-81683800-1399271468_thumb.jpg

post-506-0-94018300-1399271469_thumb.jpg

Good to see you back at it Vitus. Agree with Martin and B.E the quarter badges are really fitting in. The fit of the upper deck looks perfect and the cannon strategy is an interesting variant. Glad to hear you are dusting the deck! It sure looks dusty ;).

Cheers

Alistair

Nice work Vitus - your deck planking is very good. I'm building up to this step. Good to see your planking layout and nice to see that you tapered and hooded the planks into the margin (much better than a straight run and butt). That is my plan as well although it scares me a bit. I'm also pleased to see that you have a bit of kink where the two, dreaded, plywood gun port patterns meet. I have one too and only just noticed it when I dry fitted the quarter deck - it made me angry. But I am not alone! and we will have to work through that together. That said it isn't a big issue and I think the cap rail will sort it out so that it is no longer perceptible.

I'm intrigued that you have the inner layer of the stern piece already on. Do you intend to glaze each stern window and then lay them in? Or are they already in and glazed? I'm going around in circles thinking of how to do this but your method - if you can explain it - was not one that entered that circle. My plan was to do the quarter deck with the stern transom off and then build that as a complete piece, curved, fully glazed and then fix it into place - with the last step being the most difficult...

Cheers

Alistair