Hull bottom paint/colour used in 1812 era

TGHill

I am in the process of building a POF model of a Provincial Marine brig, Netley. It was originally built, circa 1812, at the York, Upper Canada, ship yards as a schooner and named Prince Regent, refitted a year later and renamed General Beresford and finally refitted as the brig Netley. Other than finding her named on a list of British ships on the Great Lakes during the war of 1812, I have uncovered little else but a mention of her rig and armament. (I believe I have the naming sequence in the correct order)

I think I am correct in assuming copper plate was not used on the hulls of fresh water vessels so I am curious as to whether anyone might know what material and or paint colour might typically have been used on British ship's hulls during this period?

Thanks,

Tim

No need for copper plating on the lakes as no Teredo "worms" (actually a mollusc).  As to the color, I doubt there was a standard.  Possibly just a heavy tarring to help seal the wood, but given the added expense of painting (pigment) probably left natural.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

There's been a lot of argument over painting, etc. of these vessels.  The catch is they were quickly built and not expected to last more than a year or so and as such much of the carpentry was rather rough.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hmmm.... Bilge Rat not name.  Bilge Rat is job.  :P  I don't think you'd be far off either.  I think there's an article (might Google for it) on some of the 1812 era shipwrecks that might have more details.  I'm attaching one such article from Texas A&M (ok... graduate paper actually).

Brig-Eagle.pdf

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

My error, apologies Mr. Taylor. I did think it a strange moniker but totally missed the name in the header in nice large type, kinda like looking in the fridge and shouting to my wife "Where'd you put the milk?" "Right in front of your nose...".  

Thank you Mark for the link, I shall follow it up sir.