Bluenose II by Adrift - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:75

Well here goes and wish me luck. My first wood kit build ever. by looking through all the Bluenose 2 builds there's a 30% chance I will finish it. 😂

Anyways, off to a rough start. I opened the box and even after all the research I did prior to purchasing, I was extremely overwhelmed. This was way smaller and more detailed than I could have imagined. 

There seemed to be a slight bend on the keel when I first looked at it. I hoped it would correct once the bulkheads and false deck where added, I was wrong. looking closer at the keel and after more reading. It looks like it has a small twist as well, which is really scaring me. I had the bulkheads and false deck on and then realized all this. So I ended up disassembling everything. the keel is now soaked and resting between two sheets of glass and a stack of books.  

I truly hope that it will flatten out, since I don't think ill be able to replicate a new keel out of plywood. I guess if worse comes to worse I will have to attempt it, or attempt building it with a twist. considering its my first wood model I guess I could just use it as a learning experience.  

IMG_0003.thumb.jpeg.95d0761fa0be74f501782be5e204cf23.jpeg

So there you can see the bend and possible twist. did some reading and it seems that the bend may be able to get worked out, but the twist may not. fingers crossed.

IMG_0007.thumb.jpeg.25520a5184582e3550cd25478a2bd68a.jpegIMG_0016.thumb.jpeg.56aad376269b9972b21ee10f5a93fbae.jpeg

keels current resting place for the night. hopefully tomorrow night at some point ill remove the books and take a look.

Thanks all who look and comment. hope to get some opinions on how this may or may not work. 

you all on here do amazing work and are an ocean of knowledge. off I go to look through more topics on here 😜👍

Berto

Current Build: AL Bluenose II

Hi Chap,

Good luck on straightening the Keel. from what I have seen on this site, your probably going about things the right way!!

This particular build was my second and my first POB.

Don't be daunted, just be patient, think about stuff before implementing, plan and think ahead!!

(Nothing in this particular pastime is fast, if you rush, you'll go backwards. (I am well aware, and on occasion, I still do it to my determent. 🙂)

You'll be o.k. 🙂

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

PS Happy new Year!! 

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

HAPPY NEW YEAR 

Thanks Harry, I think I needed that reminder. at times I just want to get things going. I literally went backwards already lol by having to tear it all back down.

keel soaked and pressed and still askew a bit. I ran to store and pick up some odds and ends and jerry rigged a slip of sorts. 

I did just order some basswood to attempt to trace and cut out a new keel if needed. 

I also emailed Artesania Latina to see if they would replace, considering the website says two year guaranteed parts.

*** question to anyone that may be able to answer. if the keel is still slightly warped and I decide to build as much as I can in this jig that I put together. will it hold its shape once I remove it? I assume I would have to at the very least do the first layer of planking, prior to removing from jig/slip. ***

or should I hold out and wait until I can make a better keel?

Happy Building

Berto

yes my area is currently messy. was moving things around, yeah that's it was organizing 🤣

IMG_0040.thumb.jpeg.e9952faa6bb043fbfbbdb8d6b2f6b53b.jpegIMG_0037.thumb.jpeg.933b5e76674135c7fb67ecbbf642da27.jpeg

Hi Chap,

Something that you could possibly look at....

If you "Dry" attach the False Deck with  A/L Planking Nails and see if that straightens things out?

2 or three, per side, per Bulkhead might do the trick.

(You would also need to "Pin" the Deck down on the False Keel)

Carefully mark the exact Centre line of the False Deck and the centers of each Bulkhead on the Deck, Use the False Keel as your measurement as the Deck has an upward Sheer towards the the Bow), this will greatly assist in lining everything up, Bulkheads and False Keel.

Pin the entire centre first.

Once the False Deck is entirely "Dry Pinned" you should be able to remove the entire structure and review, no glue necessary as long as the "Pins" are tight. (Mark and Dill holes in the False Deck first, "Skew" nail, line up Bulkheads, Drill with the False Deck holes lined up and insert nails/pins )

This operation should also square all Bulkheads with the False Keel, vertically and horizontally if your False Deck is accurately measured, marked and pinned.

Keep in mind the Longitudinal profile of Bulkheads to the top of the False Keel, the top surface of all Bulkheads need to be  flush with the top of the False Keel, a bit of sanding may be required. (Sorry, you've already done that.... 🙂 Just reviewed your last photo....)

(The warp doesn't seem too severe and its in the horizontal axis as far as I can ascertain, not longitudinal.)

If that works, you could affix, (Glue), the false Deck/Bulkheads from the outside in, (If you get my drift.), which, is probably the next step before fairing the Hull, or, you could quite safely take it all apart and glue/nail as all the holes will line up.

I also have had a couple of not so perfect false Keels and got away with the above.

Have a think and see if it might work for you.

Anyway, we all approach problems issues differently, what I have attempted to describe, my not be the best way, others will no doubt have a different opinion. 🙂

Just a thought.

Looking forward to your progress!!

The Building Slip is a good Idea, I spent too much on an Amati Keel Clamp, but, pleased I did. 🙂

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

@hof00 first I really want to thank you for your advise, tips, and expertise. this is my first build ever and it is daunting. I never thought of dry attaching and if I did happen to read it somewhere, I completely forgot it. I did soak and press and it seemed to help a bit but after going through some other threads on here it would seem I should have soaked longer and pressed for a few days. 

but I did what you suggested and it absolutely helped. when I look from the stern down to the bow its seems level now. there is a twist to the keel right at the end where the last frame piece goes that completes the stern. its a bit hard to tell in photo but I may be able to get away with some sanding and filling to get this corrected. 

I think I will continue forward, not rushing, but taking this all as a learning experience.  

Thanks again so much for the help now I need to message someone about a local club 😁

all the best 

Berto

IMG_0056.thumb.jpeg.13434e8650900b70e469455ce865d572.jpeg

No worries Chap,

Pleased that the "Dry" fit helped alleviate things a bit....

I'll follow your build with interest. (Brings back a few memories. 🙂)

Happy to try and lend a hand if I can.

Plenty more expertise on this site than my humble experience....

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi Chap,

Have a look at the link from Mr. Earl....

https://modelboatyard.com/bluenose2_articles.html

Helped me heaps....  Made things a little less daunting....🙂

The esteemed Mr. Earl is a member of this site also.

Anyway, I need to let you get on with stuff, take it slowly, consider your moves, I have no doubt, you and your Bluenose will be all right!! 🙂

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hof thanks again. I actually had printed out the first three parts of Mr. Earls guide prior to even having the model. i actually even still have all the build logs open on my computer, including yours. i spend my time bouncing between attempting a step and reading as much as i can prior to doing the next step. sometimes i just need to talk it over with someone to actually get it 😝

i have had MANY hobbies in the past, but i must admit, this is by far one of the most challenging and involved. But in a good way. its amazing how little i am completing each day but at the end of the day how satisfied i feel.

waiting on waterways (think that's what they are) to shape up so i can possibly start planking the deck.

take care

Berto

Hi Chap,

I too have had many pastime/hobbies, R/C model Aircraft, AFV's, Etc, Etc.

One of my workmates also advised me that the "Pinnacle" of modelling was to build a model ship, esp, from wood.

I believe his Grandfather was pretty much in "The Fold."

Yup, nothing comes quickly in this pastime, BN II took about 10 Months, weekends mostly.

Mare Nostrum, 3 Months?

Cutty Sark, 6.5 years of weekends, maybe 3,500 hours? (I used to walk into the "Ship Room", and walk straight back out....🙂 You have to be in the right frame of mind)

The time thing doesn't matter, the journey is much more rewarding than the destination and the final result is ultimately what you are going to be happy with!!

(The destination is also well worth the journey ,the finished article becomes your own piece of Maritime art, your work, your effort and the satisfaction of having created something that you can exhibit to your Family/Peers is awesome!! 

Another thing, whilst the skills you gain along the way are similar, every Ship model is very different, the miniature Joinery is awesome to behold!!

Anyway, I have "Waxed enough Lyrical"

Happy to help/encourage as are al members of this site!!

Just some thoughts.... 🙂

(Welcome to the Hobby!! (Enjoy!!))

Cheers and Regards, 

Harry (HOF)

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

todays update 

finished up planking rear deck. started testing the wood putty to fill in any gaps. didn't have many but figured I would fill in. hope to start forward deck planking tomorrow. then the hull planking after that which I am dreading and intimidated by.  

going to need to get a syringe for this glue though. tough getting a fine line with the little bottle I'm using. live and learn 😂

thanks all whom have visited and have liked 😁

IMG_0076.thumb.jpeg.8c2973134d4057267e98b562c8e5ef41.jpegIMG_0087.thumb.jpeg.05299008f256a74c8851bdba85238e70.jpegIMG_0090.thumb.jpeg.936372ade63358bef206e319baf7040b.jpeg

Edited by Adrift

• 2 weeks later...

Update. 

Going slow but thus is the nature of the beast. 

Finished fairing and started first layer planking. Its a definate learning process but enjoyable. 

I had attempted to contact AL to see if they would replace the keel just to see and that has turned into a weird fiasco. So i just decided to move forward. 

So let me beck up a step and say. I have never been into ships growing up. this is ALL new to me. grow up on the coast have done some fishing and have been on friends modern fishing boats and have my boaters license. so the extent of my knowledge was port, starboard, aft. bow and grab me a beer. 😂

As I'm building, I am learning so much. as I'm researching other build logs on any ship here I am learning even more. once agin I just want to thank everyone on this forum for all their knowledge that they are sharing. that being said, back to the log.

I am a tad stuck but hope to soon move forward. I am currently doing the first layer of planking and am almost done. but getting to the garboard strake (think that's correct) I'm questioning myself to much. I have it set but now the planks going up from there towards the top I keep seeing two ways that people are planking. one is curved up towards the upper planks and others are straight following the keel running parallel to the top planks. 

is this a preference thing or is one better that the other?

I plan on just curving up and following the manuals way of doing it. but I may change my mind. 

any ways here a few updated pics. 

thanks all for looking. questions and comments, good or bad are always welcome.

BertoIMG_0209.thumb.jpeg.d8abe02bf148c7516affe84ab04139bd.jpegIMG_0210.thumb.jpeg.076ad2cd5fabd2f5e31a0a1b0b6dfc68.jpegIMG_0211.thumb.jpeg.bd4e38203712138537604c34cb462b31.jpegIMG_0212.thumb.jpeg.8b0db68b326a1c0205140c9338b2ded0.jpegIMG_0214.thumb.jpeg.9997c7e2ac33c0c1b61dee1e1630c036.jpeg

Hi Chap,

Looks better than my attempt a few years ago....

The Deck Planking looks great, Joggling is superb!!

Personally, (My opinion), is that with the Garboard Plank, not so important with a Double Planked Hull.

Your first planking will be a base and strength component for the second.

After first cover, the Keel is next after sanding/tapering the Hull to accept the Keel width. (A/L doctrine?)

If you are planning to paint the entire hull, maybe planking/filling/sanding will suffice?

Don't know.... Your Call, your piece of Maritime Art and something that you will need to be happy with. 🙂

(I'd be happy if my first attempt was as good as yours!!)

I had a go at the "Garboard" thingy on my BN II.... (Didn't work out all that well for me but I was in in learning mode. (Probably in a hurry to see how it was going to look.)

My Planking for the second cover left some things to be desired also, Tapering was a bit extreme in places. Filled/Sanded and Painted, it worked out in the end.)

There's quite a bit of information on the Garboard on this site.

Maybe good practice to try this for builds down the road?

Can't see any warp in the False Keel, looking really good Sir!! 🙂

(A quote for you, "There is no such thing as a bad ship model, only better ones!!" I think that your build is great thus far, a "Better one.")

Cheers and Regards,

Harry. ((HOF)

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Your model is looking quite good so far. Nice work. 

The garboard plank should not reach too far up the stem. If you do, it will crowd the remaining plank ends. I would keep it low and allow the remaining planks to fill in the space. 

Russ

10 hours ago, hof00 said:

Hi Chap,

Looks better than my attempt a few years ago....

The Deck Planking looks great, Joggling is superb!!

Thank you for the kind words, sincerely. 

10 hours ago, hof00 said:

Personally, (My opinion), is that with the Garboard Plank, not so important with a Double Planked Hull.

Your first planking will be a base and strength component for the second.

After first cover, the Keel is next after sanding/tapering the Hull to accept the Keel width. (A/L doctrine?)

So i am torn between painting or double planking and leaving the walnut exposed. 

The keel is next. It is the AL but i believe it is a second version from them. There are some differences from the older AL builds I've seen on here. 

I am also in the “learning mode” and want to just keep going. But then i keep remembering the go slow and think ahead advise. 😆

10 hours ago, russ said:

Your model is looking quite good so far. Nice work. 

The garboard plank should not reach too far up the stem. If you do, it will crowd the remaining plank ends. I would keep it low and allow the remaining planks to fill in the space. 

Russ

Hey Russ thanks for the kind words.

I tried to keep it low, keeping in mind the whole planks should not be narrower than half at the thinest point. So i hope i can fit the rest in. 

Thank again I really do appreciate the kind words.

Berto

• 2 weeks later...

Finished first layer planking. after a bit of deciding which way to run it, I ended up just going straight across. I think the second layer I will curve the bottom half up. didn't need to use much wood filler which surprised me.

Here is pretty much everything I used to plank. I went with the tick paper and Planking Fan. For the final plank I used the scotch tape to trace the slot and transfer to the final plank. 

Obviously all the great Bluenose builds on this forum were referenced at some point. 

Simple Hull Planking Techniques For Beginners was also used specifically pages 29 to 31, the beveling of the planks. which I believe is the main reason the planks actually came out so tight, close together.

Planking The Build-Up Ship Model by Jim Roberts was also very useful.

And of course Mr John H. Earls Guide to his beautiful Bluenose II build. which is my main reference and what I will likely be following for the remainder of my build. 

All the tools used to plank. 

IMG_0339.thumb.jpeg.66c82eef73346eecdf1cf599daee4560.jpeg

First layer complete. IMG_0327.thumb.jpeg.d4d18f213fc2af816455fcfd15d48799.jpegIMG_0328.thumb.jpeg.6adc822925d37361c23f87a2d3071325.jpegIMG_0329.thumb.jpeg.b0dfbc7aa060a704527db8c017108fec.jpegIMG_0330.thumb.jpeg.05cb85e384b87b8aba9729572d769566.jpegIMG_0333.thumb.jpeg.735c097836cae124b2f8cc53b0c99fbd.jpeg

Now taking a look at building the bulwarks per Mr Earls guide. 

IMG_0338.thumb.jpeg.9703d8b29a5ab751dcae1daa159d9817.jpeg

Thanks for this great community. If it wasn't for all the knowledge on here, I don't think I would have made it this far.

Berto

• 11 months later...

Glad to see someone taking on this Mfg's Bluenose II.  I purchased and was not too impressed with what was in the box!  Was not happy with nothing but a CD to assemble from!  But you are proving I might have been hasty in my assessment of the kit.  Now I did make another purchase for the build, a book titled Bluenose II by LB Jenson.  If one is building the original or the copy of the Bluenose, you need this book.  No it is not a blow by blow of how to build, but a complete book of drawings of every detail you could wish to add and or correct.  I regrettably returned the kit for a refund and decided to find a kit of the original Bluenose.  I am looking at a Windjammer/Billing Boats version.  You have done a wonderful job so far.  Looking forward to more of the build.  You stated there was a percentage of if built or not.  I hear and understand, but with the job you have done so far, would be ashamed not to finish.  Keep up the clean precise work.

Rick

Neophyte Shipwright

Wisdom:  When all else fails, read the instructions!

• The title was changed to Bluenose II by Adrift - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:75