Laptop Question

Julie Mo

For a project I've been working on I recently bought a new laptop.  The internal drive has only 250GB of space and it's rapidly vanishing.  What are the best options for adding a larger drive?  I'd like to keep the existing drive.

If it matters, here are the laptop's specs:

• 17.3" Full HD (1920 x 1080 ) WLED IPS display, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with Max-Q Design 6GB GDDR5 dedicated Graphics
  • 8th Gen Intel Hexa-Core i7-8750H @ 2.20GHz (9 MB SmartCache, Max Turbo Frequency 4.10GHz)
  • 32GB DDR4 SDRAM, 256GB Solid State Drive, No Optical Drive
  • 802.11ac Wi-Fi featuring 2x2 MU-MIMO technology (Dual-Band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), Bluetooth 4.1, 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C (up to 5 Gbps): 1 x USB 3.0 (with Power-off Charging): 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x HDMI 2.0, 1 x Headphone/Microphone Combo Jack, Virtual Reality Ready, Two Built-in Stereo Speakers, HD Webcam

The only way to increase the internal hard drive space on a laptop, is to replace the drive. You could, however, buy an external drive and store all your data files on it, leaving only the program files on the internal drive. Remember to xfer any files stored in your User folder too. (Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc.) Some programs also store the data they create in dedicated folders. Some graphics programs, Zip programs, Audio editors, etc.

I'm surprised that a laptop with 32GB of RAM only has a 250GB hard drive. Is it possible, that there is an unconfigured partition on the drive?

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the quick reply.  

To the best of my knowledge, all it has is 250GB.  When I was shopping them out, I focused on graphic intense laptops and didn't pay much attention to drive size.  But then I started loading data from my desktop while creating more videos for the project and "uh, oh!" 230GB have been gobbled up.

An external was what I was thinking.  Then if I have to move from the desktop to the laptop, or vise-versa, all I have to do is move the external drive.  But which one to buy?  My desktop has a USB that is blue, which I believe means it's 3.0 and that means faster data transfer, I think.  The laptop has all that fancy stuff listed above.

I saw a 4TB WD external for $99, which should handle all the data I could load on it for the rest of my life.  It's USB 3.0 & 2.0 compatible but I know nothing about how reliable it would be.  I can't have it crashing on me if I'm trusting it will all that data.

Western Digital has a good reputation. If the external drive will be your only backup, buy 2 smaller drives and keep copies on both drives. Then if one dies, you still have the other to fall back on. If you are going to keep a complete copy of the files on your desktop too, then one external drive is all you need.

Be sure to back up often.

The backup thing hit me the other day during one of our meetings.  A suggestion was made that my laptop be used for the city summit to ensure there is something there that can handle the graphics load.  I said that would be okay as long as there were reassurances it wouldn't get stolen.  The head of the project suggested I back up the data before bringing it.  No guarantee it wouldn't get stolen.  Suddenly the reality of losing months of work hit me. 

I have a backup drive on my desktop and a program that automatically backs up data several times a day.  But I've got nothing like that for the new laptop.  So yeah, a couple of external drives would be a nice insurance policy.

You can keep the drive if it's not an apple. You need to replace the DVD bay and replace it with a HDD 2.5" bracket with a disk of the same size and with the required GB's (SATA or SSD)

For an apple I wouldn't change the drive either, but use an external 2.5" SATA or Solid State Disk

SSD is practical if you need speed of reading/writing (mainly reading)

When you want to make a backup ... have the same disk as the one you have in your laptop. You can make a "Disk copy" you can switch disk if the on in your laptop crashes :) 

Edited by cog