HMS Atalanta by tlevine - FINISHED - 1775 - 1:48 scale - from TFFM plans

Druxey, I need all the cheering I can get.  Greg, I don't have any grandkids taking up my time.  Just work, the house, the dog, the horses and keeping the husband in line! :P  Elia, hopefully you'll get more time soon. 

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Work progresses slowly on the upper deck framing.  No pics this week.  The next significant structure to construct is the capstan step.  In TFFM this is shown as a roughly rectangular block of wood inserted between the beams and its supporting carlings.  On the Atalanta plans there is a ovate structure instead.  This would seem to have much less strength than the one suggested by David.  I am looking for some help on this one.  Is the structure shown on the plan correct?  Or is this seated on top of a rectangular step?

post-262-0-55371200-1390825273_thumb.jpg

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Hi Toni,

That's the same shape Lower Capstan Step as my "Vulture". It's the actual step, not an addition on top.

Here's the Link to the post in my build log where I made it.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks, Danny.  I should have checked your build.  It just seems so odd since the shape detracts from the strength and stability of the step.

Toni

I agree with Dan. Most of the stresses on the capstan spindle would be in a forward direction. This is where the 'meat' of the wood is. It saves weight and is less of a foot hazard than the rectangular style partners. It also demonstrates the variations that are present in different ships of the same class 'as built'.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Now that makes sense to me, Druxey.  When following a 300+ year old plan, it's difficult to pick the brain of the architect.  Since there are many things on the plan that are not drawn in but simply assumed (carlings, knees, etc.) I thought this might be another one of those cases...a squarish step with a round base on top of it.  Thank you.

Toni

Toni, can you tell me about your photographic setup?  A macro lens, I imagine.  What kind of light source/flash are you using?  You're getting great results.

J.D.

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

J.D., my cameral setup is anything but fancy.  I use a Canon T3i camera fitted with the standard lens (18-55mm).  I turn on all the lights in the kitchen, hold my breath so I can use shutter speeds of 1/60 and hope for the best.  Sometimes I use the built-in flash but that normally gives me too much shadowing.  Needless to say, I take 4-6 shots of the same thing and save the best one.  A macro lens is on my "someday" list, along with a mill, a disc sander, a Jim-saw...

David, see you in a few months.

Toni

:) instead of holding your breath you can get a cheap tripod and have long shutter times without the risk of movement. I used to do it your way, but since I got the tripod taking pictures with greater field of depth is a lot easier.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Of course, if you can afford the Cloud version of Adobe PhotoShop, the latest update has an impressive correction of motion blur feature as well as an advanced photo sharpening app. A tripod is much more economical, though, as Remco suggests!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

You are absolutely right Remco.  In fact, I have a tripod in my car trunk and on occasion I do use it.  Just lazy I guess.  Also, the dog has knocked the tripod over in the past (thank goodness the camera was not mounted on it at the time) and once I open it up I tend to leave it open the rest of the day.  The dog is on vacation this weekend with the husband, so I will drag it out of car.

Toni

Druxey, your post passed as I was responding to Remco.  I'll go with low-tech.

Toni

Well, you are getting good photographic results in my opinion.  I agree that it takes some work to figure out a good flash setup without causing tons of shadows.  Fortunately, I'm able to use a macro lens on my Nikon D80, and with the tiny built in flash it adds enough light without shadowing.  That also enables me to use an f-stop of 11.  The flash attachment is way too powerful. 

JD

JD

Current build: Schooner Mary Day (scratch)

Previous builds:  Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore 2, Amati HMS Endeavour, Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Bluejacket America, Midwest Sharpie Schooner

My general approach for fabricating and installing the beam sets has been one complete set at a time.  This worked well where there was no curvature of the hull but I had difficulty with the run of the outer carlings at the fore end of the upper deck and decided to change my approach as I neared the stern. I set out all of the beams and tack glued them in place.  I then drew fair lines for the outer carlings.  The deck beams were removed as I worked on them, only mortising the outer carlings.  The carlings were then tack glued without gluing the beam.  This continued until the last two beams.  The transom knee abuts the for end of the transom and extends along the hull just past beam 20.  It is set down on to the deck clamp and "bolted" to the frames and transom.  The last two beams are mortised into the transom knee.

The pictures show the run of the lateral carlings.  No finish shaping or sanding has been done yet.  I broke off the port counter timbers (again!) and just stuck it back on so that area looks out of whack.  I will probably have to remake it when it comes time to make the counter.

post-262-0-39906000-1391984471_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-32867700-1391984470_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-48323500-1391984469_thumb.jpg

Toni

Nice strategy for the carlings, Toni.

Might I suggest a cross-spall or two across the outer counter timbers to reinforce them for now? That way, you might avoid snapping them off, which - as you've discovered - is so easy to do.

Nice work Toni, but it does look a little on the fragile side. You must have a delicate touch. I am afraid My ham fist would do to much damage. Great work.

David B

Druxey, suggestion well taken...and done. David it really isn't all that fragile except for this area and the stem.  I have broken this off several times already and until now it was good enough because this is the side I intend to plank.  So far the stem has been unscathed.

Toni

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a few weeks since the last update.  Not that much has been accomplished because of that four letter word...work.  I have all of the carlings temporarily installed, as well as the ledges between the carlings.  I am still adjusting the height of the last two deck beams.  The transom knee was made overly thick and now the top of the beams is lower than the top of the knee.  The knee will be sanded down once I am happy with the fair run of the deck. Beam set 16 is completed.  Only six more beams to go!  The bracing across the outer counter timbers has been removed for the pictures.  I decided not to build any more structures that stand proud of the deck until the deck is completed and sanded fair.  The main mast partner kept getting bumped when I was truing the middle part of the deck.  This should make sanding easier.

post-262-0-06237300-1393200319_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-88275600-1393200319_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-50343800-1393200316_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-86114600-1393200317_thumb.jpg

Toni

Thank you Druxey and thanks everyone for the Likes.  The rest of the lodging knees have been cut out and I hope to get a few sets of hanging knees installed this weekend.

Toni

It has been a few weeks since the last update.  Not that much has been accomplished because of that four letter word...work.  I have all of the carlings temporarily installed, as well as the ledges between the carlings.  I am still adjusting the height of the last two deck beams.  The transom knee was made overly thick and now the top of the beams is lower than the top of the knee.  The knee will be sanded down once I am happy with the fair run of the deck. Beam set 16 is completed.  Only six more beams to go!  The bracing across the outer counter timbers has been removed for the pictures.  I decided not to build any more structures that stand proud of the deck until the deck is completed and sanded fair.  The main mast partner kept getting bumped when I was truing the middle part of the deck.  This should make sanding easier.

attachicon.gifBeam Set 16-2a.jpg

attachicon.gifBeam Set 16a.jpg

attachicon.gifAft Ledges installed-1a.jpg

attachicon.gifAft Ledges installed-2a.jpg

Beautiful work Toni,

I love those joinings as Support structure for the deck

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Ed, Nils, John and Ben thank you.  Hope to have some more progress this weekend. 

What I am discovering is that fitting everything together in these last few beam sets is a logistical challange.  Because the hull is tapering, I can no longer slide a beam/knee assembly in to place.  Right now the best sequence is of construction is beam-carlings-ledges (to stabilize the carlings and prevent lateral shift)-hanging knees-lodging knees.  For final gluing, the lodging knees should be installed before the hanging knees.  Finally, the ledges between the outer carlings and the lodging knees are installed.

Toni