HMS Atalanta by tlevine - FINISHED - 1775 - 1:48 scale - from TFFM plans

This is where dainty hands and fingers come in handy.  My hands  would be a little too big to get in there.

David B

Toni,

The original shipwrights had the same problem fitting beams into place - even without the knees. Their end clearances were very close and the frames above the decks "tumbled home."

I suggest you do what they did if you can - spring the beam by lifting the center while holding the ends down, then rotate it into place. I installed Naiad's beams with knees attached using this method. Thanks to Blaise Olivier's 1737 commentary on English practice. (The French at the time apparently set the beams then raised the clamps under them.)

Here's a picture.

post-570-0-29803200-1393616758_thumb.jpg

Ed

Edited by EdT

Druxey, the counter timbers are safe (so far).  David, I've seen your hands!  But even my fingers are too large for some of these spaces so I do most of the fine work with needle holders and jeweler's forceps.  A needle holder is similar to a hemostat but it has no deep ridges and the joint is much closer to the tip. 

Ed, I did just as you suggested a few frames forward but these beams are too short to spring them sufficiently.  It is almost as easy to temporarily glue the knees to the beams in situ, mark their positions, debond, rebuild off the model to drill bolt holes and re-install using the bolt holes as a guide.

Ben and David, thanks for looking in.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Sailor,

Olivier's report says a jack was used in the center of the beam.  With that in mind, my guess is that the bean was laid out at an angle with the center at the final line and a screw jack up from the beam below - or off the pillar - placed at that point under the beam.  The ends could then be held down with tackles to the beam below.  As the beam was sprung with the jack and shortened, it could be rotated into position and the tackles eased to let the beam fit into place.  Anyway, that is how I would do it.

The beams do not have to be sprung very much.  A 30' beam 14" wide would be about 0.3" too long measured between the diagonal corners.  A fifteen foot beam of the same width would be about 5/8" too long.  The sloping sides would require additional springing depending how high the beam was held above the clamp when rigged into place.

Ed

Edited by EdT

I have finally finished the upper deck framing.  The first three photos show the deck before final fairing.  The last two are after everything has been sanded down.  I started with 100 grit and progressively sanded down to 400 grit.  I finished with a razor blade scraper.  There was a slight hump in beam 20 which was corrected with the sanding.

post-262-0-92953100-1394401541_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-07664000-1394401543_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-79545900-1394401543_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-71158600-1394401544_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-68145300-1394401545_thumb.jpg

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Druxey and David, thanks.  The only thing I could think of as I finished the deck was...thank god this isn't a frigate!

I deferred making any of the items that attach on to the upper deck (except for the fore and main mast partners) until the entire deck was completed.  Now it is time for some small projects which will vastly improve the monotony of the appearance of beams and scantlings.  The first thing made was the capstan step. The shape of the step varied among the Swan class ships.  In TFFM, David shows a three piece rectangular step.  Atalanta has a tear-drop shaped step.  At this point I was still psyched from finishing the deck, so I forgot to take pictures of the step fabrication.  The step is made of three pieces of wood rabbeted together.  The inner piece was 14" thick and the outer pieces were 10" thick.  The edge of the 14" thick wood was highlighted on both sides with archival ink. The top of the step is flat, stands 7" proud of the beam and is parallel to the waterline, not to the deck.  There is a hole in the middle for the capstan post.  The step is secured to the beams and carlings with bolts.

post-262-0-17389400-1394403712_thumb.jpg  post-262-0-18708900-1394403713_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-32802000-1394403714_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-20443100-1394403715_thumb.jpg  post-262-0-81493600-1394403716_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-84194300-1394403717_thumb.jpg

The mizzen partner is a simple plank, in contrast to the complex structures of the fore and main partners.  The most difficult part is placing the hole in the correct location because of the rake of the mizzen mast.  I do not plan on masting and rigging Atalanta so I took the location of the opening off the plan rather than make a dummy mast.

post-262-0-86792600-1394403718_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-94460300-1394403719_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-70371600-1394403720_thumb.jpg

Toni

Congratulations on completing the deck framing Toni.  She is looking terrific.

Thanks, Grant.  David, it is an app on my phone.  It's a freebie called Bubble.  You have to calibrate it first with a known level surface but then it works great.

Toni

Congratulations Toni  The sad thing is as you go further all that beautiful work will be hidden from site.

David B

Thank you, gentlemen, and thanks everyone for the likes.  Greg, you mean there is a platform down there?  All kidding aside, even though it is very difficult so see into the bowels of the ship, it was definitely worth installing.  First, it gave me a better appreciation of the construction of these ships as well as the tight quarters endured by the men.  On a more practical level, it gave me the chance to improve my woodworking skills where the mistakes will not be as noticeable.

Toni

• 2 weeks later...

Because of the server issue I went back and checked all of the photos in the build log.  It was necessary to repost  about a dozen pictures.

I have made and installed the hammock battens.  These are pieces of tooth shaped wood that attach to the beams just under the carlings.  Their function is to provide a hook to secure the hammocks.  I first made several strips of wood the correct dimension (2" x 3") and glued them together.  I set the height of the blade on the table saw to the depth of the notch and sawed all of the strips simultaneously.  The distance between the teeth is 12".  The piece was then put into a bottle of isopropanol and the individual pieces separated from each other after several minutes.  The interior and exterior edges were rounded off with files.  The nails attaching the batten to the beam were simulated with an awl highlighted with pencil.  I decided to only place these on the starboard side since I have not yet decided how much decking I will install on the port side.

post-262-0-62552300-1395193624_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-14925700-1395193625_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-83220000-1395193625_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-74350500-1395193626_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-62590800-1395193627_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-32757000-1395193628_thumb.jpg

I have also finished the upper row of planks for the aft bulkheads.  They now extend to just below the beams.

post-262-0-69616600-1395193629_thumb.jpg

Toni

Toni your ship is really beautifully crafted, congratulations on your milestone.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Nice detail Toni.

Maury

Thanks gentlemen.  And thank you all for the likes.  Druxey, you want hammocks, too?  

Toni

I got a US $1 that says he does..  I'm surprised Remco hasn't done them.   ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I got a US $1 that says he does..  I'm surprised Remco hasn't done them.   ;)

I'm like 1 year of work behind Tony before I get to the hammock battens. No worries, I'll take it into consideration ;)

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

I'm like 1 year of work behind Tony before I get to the hammock battens. No worries, I'll take it into consideration ;)

Ok.. but remember, it has to come from Druxey.  I'm just a bookie making a side bet.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)