HMS Atalanta by tlevine - FINISHED - 1775 - 1:48 scale - from TFFM plans

Finally got a little browse and learning time today Toni, and headed straight for your amazing log. Now, I'm sitting here plotting how I will pull off the purchase of a new toy and keep it OFF THE BOOKS.. The Admiral thinks I have way too many toys in the Ship Yard already....imagine that. I'm thinking I can sell a DeWalt thickness plainer, and my large shop lathe....both pretty much gathering dust since I took up modeling.

Thanks for the tutorial. Love your work.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

And now we can see, Toni, why all those pricey attachments to the Sherline are necessary.  The problem with tools is that you can only begin to see what they make possible after you buy them.  Beautiful work.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Very nice job, Tony. I don't use the rotary table often but I can't imagine doing a precision job like this without one. The other application where it is terrific is when constructing the ships wheel.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Ben, degame is another hardwood which is not seen too often.  Many years ago, someone recommended it for mast making and so I bought a piece from Dave Stevens.  I did not like it for masts because this piece had a tendency to warp. 

Grant, Dave, Greg and Martin, thanks for your comments.  Greg, hopefully I will get to that ship's wheel in the next year or two!  One  nice thing about the rotary table is the screw for the chuck.  For items that are better held in the 3 or 4-jaw chuck, rather than the vise, it holds it securely and at 90o.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Nicely Done Toni!!!!   Very finicky work and the pictures dont show how small those pieces actually are to work with.  :)

That is why I like Sherline.  I bought the basic lathe years ago when I was scratch building my Benjamin W. Latham and have just added on extras as the need and my pocketbook would allow.  I planned to get a Rotary table when I was diagnosed and that is on hold for a while as my mill is at a friends back in Chicago.  When I went back he said I could it with me but my back almost killed me.  He is keeping until i have the room and the need.  A rotary table is almost a need when doing many jobs.  

David B

Chuck, David, Albert, thanks.

I have had a little more time to work on the capstan details.  Bolts are used to secure the whelps and the chocks to the spindle.  Bolts are also placed through the reinforcing ring.  I left these bright to contrast with the black color of the ring.  They are actually countersunk bolts.  I did not have any brass thick enough to machine the pawls, so these are made from wood which has been painted black.  Sorry for the sawdust in the first two pictures.  This is an example of the camera seeing more than the naked eye and the capstan heads have since been cleaned.

post-262-0-70124900-1448653521_thumb.jpg  

post-262-0-47264900-1448653536_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-09968100-1448653551_thumb.jpg

Although I have drilled holes for the capstan bar retaining chains, I have decided not to model them.  They look "messy" to me and detract from the appearance of the capstan head.  I also figure I have a few months to finally make up my mind about them.  I have also not decided whether I will insert the bars.  Could anyone tell me where would these have been stored when not in use?

Toni

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

were they not stored overhead?

Alan

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Your capstan is looking really good. It's a clever idea to make the ring from timber.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Overhead storage seems right to me Alan.  Thanks, Christian.

Bill Maxwell generously gave me some of his sheet mica for the windows.  So, of course, I had to remake the fore bulkhead window and re-glaze it with mica rather than acetate.  For those of you not familiar with his work, take a look at his Fly at  http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/projectphotos1.html?proj=74

post-262-0-56145300-1448727822_thumb.jpg

The aft bulkheads were made in similar fashion to the forecastle ones.  They are only temporarily positioned to facilitate fabrication and insertion of the quarter deck beams.

post-262-0-59839300-1448727771_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-19733300-1448727784_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-39491300-1448727795_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-42907600-1448727808_thumb.jpg

Toni

Looking good Toni, question I have never worked with Mica but knew where to get and was wondering how it is shaped and glued.  At Manitowoc I have seen it used many times.

David B

Mica is easily worked, David. It comes in layered sheets. These sheets (think millefeuille pastry!) split apart very easily, so you can get a very thin layer if you wish. It can be cut with a blade or sharp scissors. The only drawback is that there are many inclusions in the material, so you need to select the clearest pieces out of your sheet.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

beautiful work Toni,

I like it that you are taking care of the necessary standing hight in the cabin Areas...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I think the inclusions in sheet mica give it a lot more character than glass or other modern clear sheet materials.  You can cover an entire window with the mica and it looks more like individual panes than if you try the same thing with a totally flat material, which looks more like a storm window with the mullions merely for looks.  Didn't say that well, sorry.  It's also very easy to work with, as druxey says.

Thank you everyone for the compliments and the likes.  The mica is wonderful to work with.  It cuts easily with either scissors or knife.  Its only drawback is that it is so soft that it scratches easily, even with a soft cloth. 

Toni

• 2 weeks later...

Time to spend a little time in the stern.  What should have been the easy fabrication of a few planks and several window frames turned into a three day project.  The upper counter is make up of two planks.  Since there is side to side curvature, these were made with paper templates and then cut to shape.  So far so good.  Now it is time to make the frames for the stern lights.  Something does not look right.  I make the lower sills and install them.  Something really does not look right.  The windows are too short.  So out come the plans and everything is remeasured.  The lower counter is

2 mm too tall, which made the upper counter 2 mm too tall.  The quarter deck clamps are 1.5m too low at the stern and therefore the quarter deck transom is too low.  This is a perfect example of cumulative error coming back to haunt you.

In this case the fix included removing and correcting the lower and upper counter planking and raising the quarter deck transom.  The deck clamps are very firmly affixed so the last few beams will have shims placed at their edges to compensate. The window height was still a tiny bit too short so I thinned out the lower edge of the quarter deck transom to buy a little more height.  Like any normal ship modeler, the last thing I thought about at this time was taking pictures for before/after shots.  Consequently all the pictures are "after" rebuilding but before final sanding.  The first three pictures show the rebuilt counters.  I was playing with lighting and exposures and accidentally came up with the second picture. The stark contrast of the light wood against the dark background helps to see the increased height of the windows.  And for the record, the irregularity of the lower surface of the quarter deck transom has been corrected.

post-262-0-20874500-1449799625_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-14983500-1449799626_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-89998200-1449799626_thumb.jpg

Once the upper counter was in place, the lower sills were installed.  The sides of the frame are recessed back from the aft edge of the lower sill.  This provides a stop for the out-swinging window.

post-262-0-98163200-1449799627_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-18967600-1449799921_thumb.jpg

Since the lower counter was modified, I decided that now would be a good time to make sure the rudder sat properly behind the stern post.  Happily, there was no problem.

post-262-0-23545200-1449799922_thumb.jpg

The stern post terminates at the level of the quarter deck top-of-beam.  One of the beams is notched into the fore face of the stern post.  In the last photo you can see how the ceiling and the quarter deck clamp has been cut back to make room for the window stops.  Additionally, you can see the transom elevated approximately 1.5 mm above the deck clamp.

post-262-0-07735400-1449799629_thumb.jpg

post-262-0-28191400-1449799630_thumb.jpg

Toni

Great job, Toni. I don't believe there's a more difficult job then framing the stern and getting all the curves right (except for the head timbers and rails...and carving...and louvered windows...and...)

Edited by dvm27

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Nice catch and fix, Toni. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Toni,

This provides a stop for the out-swinging window.

Oops - Stop right there - the windows need to swing IN. A problem I encountered after I'd almost completed the ship. Druxey will tell you the same.

See THIS exchange of opinions and the results in my build log. You'll need to "fast-forward" a bit over some other comments.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thanks everyone for the likes and comments.  In particular, a huge thank you to Danny.  I must admit I was wondering how one would keep the window open.  Happily, I am still at the stage where I can correct the problem.

Toni

Happily, I am still at the stage where I can correct the problem.

I was hoping you were :) . A few minor re-do's is all.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Danny, do you know how these windows were held open?  Hook and eye?  Pulley?  It is tempting to show the starboard (unplanked) side with the windows open but I am concerned that it would detract from the beauty of the stern.

Toni

Nicely done on the re-do Toni. We've all "been-there-done-that". Believe me, I've done some real doozies.

Great looking paneled bulkheads and doors.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com