Weird Medical Condition

Osmosis

Not looking for sympathy here. Just thought it was curious.

I woke up last Sunday morning and rolled out of bed and just about fell flat on my you know what. My left foot apparently did not want to play anymore and decided to stop taking orders from my brain. I also had the worst cast of sciatica I have ever felt.

What was odd was that there was no pain in my spine it just felt like a giant charlie horse from my left butt cheek right down to my foot.

After a visit to my regular doctor and a neurologist it turns out I have what is called "Foot Drop". I have lost most of the function in my left foot and it may or may not come back.

Apparently I somehow damaged the nerve that controls the various functions of the foot muscle. If it had happened in the other foot I would not be able to drive and that would put me right up the creek.

As it is I have gotten used to it for the most part and walk pretty well on flat hard surfaces. Walking across the lawn is still hit or miss at this point.

I had never heard of this up until this past week and neither had most people I talked to.

It does not affect my ability to build models so it is all good right.

Pinched nerves can manifest themselves in weird ways. I have residual nerve damage in both my right arm and leg. The first time I experienced pain in my arm, it was limited to intense, throbbing pain in my wrist. After a battery of tests that were nearly as painful as the sciatica, my doctor told me that my case was one of the 10% or so where the impingement on the nerve was in my neck, but with localized pain instead of radiating down my entire arm. Best I can tell you for now is, "Chin up!" Hopefully you'll recover most of your range of motion, as I eventually did.

I have foot drop in both feet, the result of a complex medical condition held in check by a strong immune reaction.  The immune reaction has damaged the nerves in my hands and feet.  I can still build models but have trouble standing for any length of time and trip easily.

I have a pair of prescription “AFO’s” that I wear if I leave the house.  They are made from carbon fiber and consist of an inner sole connected to a spine that extends up the back of my leg secured by a Velcro strap around my calf.  The carbon fiber inner sole and spine act as a spring picking up my feet when I walk.  I am also able to drive normally.

Roger

Art,

These were prescribed by my doctor and were supplied and fitted by a medical supplier specializing in prosthetics.  In my case the entire cost was covered by Medicare and my Medicare Supplement policy.  There was also some maintenance required, the guy that furnished them adjusted the shape of the foot pad to better fit my shoes and replaced the Velcro.  The tag on the Velcro cuff reads THUASNE.  Picture below.

Roger

59179F2E-A8FB-448B-AAB7-C3E62ECD545F.jpeg

• 3 months later...
On 1/7/2019 at 12:31 PM, Osmosis said:

As it is I have gotten used to it for the most part and walk pretty well on flat hard surfaces. Walking across the lawn is still hit or miss at this point.

Art, might I suggest a walking stick?  Here are a couple of photos of the one that I used for several years while I was still able to walk.  I feel that this allowed me to continue walking several years beyond when I first started having trouble walking.  The first photo shows it full length which is usually sized to have the grip coming up to your shoulder or a little higher.

100_5450.thumb.JPG.80fe97f2f1f75a40585412d3d6f8651f.JPG

This photo is a closer view of the grip.

100_5451.thumb.JPG.9bd70c34659281c2107912f82f66430c.JPG

As you can see it also has a short strap to wrap around your wrist.  I tried a cane, but you tend to lean on it too hard, which really bothered my shoulder and I had little confidence in using one. 

We came across this one at an art show where I first tried it out.  It was much more comfortable using it, as the strain on my shoulder was greatly reduced.  Going over uneven ground was where it really made me feel stable!  You can place the end of it well ahead of you, so you always have at least two supports on the ground.   My confidence level was greatly increased as I really came to trust it. 

As things turned out for me I should have been using it the day that I fell and broke my ankle in three places and couldn't put any weight on it for nine weeks when I decided that I didn't need it.  Had I used it that day I feel confident in saying that I would still be walking if I had!

There are generally a vast number of styles available with various grips to allow you to see which one feels the best to you.  This is probably something better bought where you can try it out, rather than on-line.