Mediterranean Galleys by yancovitch - FINISHED

It looks like you have an invasion fleet forming!

They are looking great!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Well, actually there was a regular Viking trade route down the rivers of Russia to Constantinople, and the Vikings of Russia sailed south to attack the City at least once (fleet destroyed by Greek Fire). Also, Harald Hardrada did a fair bit of sailing around the mediterranean working for the Byzantines.

BUT . . . Viking ships in the Mediterranean? Not sure. Harald would have been sailing in Byzantine ships, and the trading vessels may not have got south of Constantinople. On the other hand there was at least one Viking fleet that came through the Straits of Gibraltar and roamed and raided around the Med.

But the Minoan galley sounds really interesting.

Steven 

ok...viking is done, but it is going to a friend.....hmmm...i think i'll darken the oars first now that i look at it.......i may build another, as i could do better, now that i know the in's and out's of the kit...or i may leave it out of the display altogether........haven't decided....

well the trireme trust's trireme is on it's way....the brain melting part is over, trying to decipher their plans......and a friend sent me the 3d printer oars....all 170 of them....al la prochaine

DSC_8308a.jpg

DSC_8299a.jpg

DSC_8303a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Your friend must be thrilled with the Viking, looks marvelous.

The trireme is coming along superb, that will be another splendid model, very spiffy

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

yea, the dusek trireme is probably a nice kit, but i wanted to get it closer to the full sized replica in greece.......although my oar configuration will be somewhat different....

also the lumber will be a bit oversized, as my fingees would find it too hard to do scale :).......  i had a hard time trying to figure out the trireme trust's plans...so again, it will be a close enough for jazz model :).....

DSC_8333A.jpg

DSC_8340a.jpg

Edited by yancovitch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

still have much more work to do on all of them but the hardest parts are over with...this is how they will appear...couldn't light it properly but i ordered some strip led's to go around the front sides and top which i hope will work well.....the minoan will have a colored tarp on top hanging down a bit on the sides...all guess work of course....i figured the platform on back was for boarding and there will be a couple of ladders hanging down ....guess they backed the ship on to the beach...i made the platform wide to accommodate this....

next the relaxing picky work....stress work is over.....

DSC_8381a.jpg

DSC_8396a.jpg

I wanted to give you a standing ovation, but that will have to be postponed since you are not quite ready ... nevertheless ... a very beautiful set of galleys

Carl

That is a great looking display for those ships.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Why wait?  I start a standing ovation for this build. clapping.gif.0d896f722c2aad90aca8af4e8ab3244d.gifclapping.gif.0d896f722c2aad90aca8af4e8ab3244d.gifclapping.gif.0d896f722c2aad90aca8af4e8ab3244d.gifclapping.gif.0d896f722c2aad90aca8af4e8ab3244d.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok...basically all is done..just need to add more oars to the trireme and add the eye of horus at the bow......and that's the end of this log....and the end of my model building....will focus mainly on the piano for the time remaining for me.....thanks for all the feedback.....cheers, vic

oh...i added the finished version.......

DSC_8529.JPG

DSC_8586.JPG

Edited by yancovitch

A lovely finish of your build, those are real stuning galleys. Very impressive. So what is that about you sticking to the piano from now on?

Carl

too much mess...too much fumes...too much dust....too much money....too much strain on the brain trying to figure things out where info is so scarce........just getting too much old and over sensitive i guess....and i've kind of lost interest, as i've built all the styles of ships that i liked..... and my wife has been so patient and supportive.....was fun while it lasted, but i can improve all i want on the piano...or keyboard...(mostly classical, but a bit of everything) and there is none of the above to deal with.....and the house will be so clean from now on 😃......can enjoy looking at whats been done anyways.....thanks all and cheers, ......vc

Interests and life do change over time so have fun with the piano.  Like Carl, it's a pity we can't hear it.  I do love the display you did.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)