Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

13 minutes ago, musky said:

Hello Patrick.

Thank you for your information on the FIFIE. I am still awaiting the delivery of my kit!

I am not fully aware of how the forum works. Could you tell me where I can locate your log?
Thank you Donald

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

10 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

If a kit review is not the place to discuss a perceived inaccuracy, where should it be done?   The kit’s accuracy is certainly relevant and many of us have specialized areas of expertise not available to the kit designer.

Roger

If you can bring some information to the table that’s real and credible, then do so. It sounds like you have something important to share with us?

1 hour ago, Roger Pellett said:

I know nothing about Scottish fishing vessels.  It appears, however, that Michael who lives in Holy Loch (Torrens) did have information to share based on his expertise and it disturbed me that he was criticized for offering his comments.

Roger 

Hello Roger,

I designed this particular Fifie, and I honestly do not know what else to tell you other than I used a set of plans drawn and researched by people more expert than me for this type of vessel. I remember during my own research (this was well over a decade ago now), wheelhouses were very 'ad-hock', with no two vessels being the same. These were usually old sailing vessels that were converted to screw propulsion, the Fifie type being popular for conversion due to its lack of rake at the stern and generous beam. Even the rudders were original, with just a big chunk taken out where the prop was to be. The conversions were carried out as cheap as the owners could get away with.

I am sorry, but this is really all I can tell you. The plans used were all to the same scale and, at least for all critical dimensions for hull, superstructure, wheelhouse, hatches etc., these absolutely remain the same. I would have had no reason to deviate from these.

Cheers. 

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

what else to tell you other than I used a set of plans drawn and researched by people more expert than me for this type of vessel.

I don't think any more needs to be said. As you noted there were many variations and many conversions, its not a military vessel subject to exacting standards, just a simple fishing vessel. I would think it would be easy enough for a modeler to modify the size of the steering house to what suits them and be not less or more accurate than the design.  I would have thought this was long resolved and fairly simple to follow.

I agree, this is not the place to debate the merits of wheelhouse design.

Moderators are welcome to delete my post. I don't mean to be argumentative, just a bit frustrated we can't seem to accept the model for what it is - a model.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 1 month later...

That's a fabulous and thorough review James. And WOW!!! Those instructions 😮 😮 😮 

It's a bonnie wee boat for sure and one that appeals to me enormously. Oh dear, my bucket's overflowing 😄 

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Member of Nautical Research Guild

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

And Later On : EBBRO CITROEN DS21 

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

• 2 months later...

As a plastic modeller of many years and having done the 1/72 flower class corvette I was thinking of this for my first wooden ship model. There is a series of build videos on YouTube on a channel called Davaoshipmodeller which I'm watching - he's not all the way through yet but has finished the hull. They're very good. 

• 7 months later...

Hope this is OK - thought I would post a couple of photos of the Fifie that I have just completed.

1291676926_Fifie1.thumb.JPG.93a8f34a6ceb3d141dcae0856b661096.JPG1687817226_Fifie2JPG.thumb.JPG.4effbb9fe435549baaf73b349c938884.JPG

I would endorse all of Jim's comments in his review - this is a very nice kit with top quality materials and plentiful plans and instructions.  I have completed several model ships and would not consider this model to be overly challenging - but an interesting and very enjoyable build.  Though I built mine out of the box, with a model of this size there's plenty of scope to add plenty of details if you wish - as ably demonstrated by a couple of the build logs in progress.

Great job, Clive! She's a gorgeous model! You should add some photos of her to The Gallery.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 2 months later...
On 10/10/2021 at 10:23 AM, Claire lise said:

Bonjour à tous

Je cherche à acheter le kit de motorisation est ce que quelqu'un peut m'aider s'il vous plaît ?

Claire - My Fifie is not motorised.  If you want to motorise yours, I recommend you go to Cornwall Model Boats - they will have all the parts you need

Mon Fifie n'est pas motorisé. Si vous souhaitez motoriser le vôtre, je vous recommande d'aller chez Cornwall Model Boats - ils auront toutes les pièces dont vous avez besoin

• 1 month later...

I finished this kit a few months ago.  Loved the quality of materials, detail, variety of wood types supplied.  Very enjoyable.  If you want to see more, I posted an abbreviated build log under DelmerModels.  Great kit for someone who prefers woodwork over rigging!  For those considering, I’d recommend adn I hope you enjoy it as much as I did

530B23D3-E55E-45B9-938E-D926A43B2510.jpeg

4B17D1EB-D821-4B98-A8EF-A01939E757E0.jpeg

31122644-F6A5-4BB3-B28F-387A76E55CA3.jpeg

715790C3-4633-451E-8969-F7F1E784A712.jpeg

4DA8862F-FA47-4D5A-9AF8-CCB8DDB611F0.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 12:32 AM, DelmerModels said:

I finished this kit a few months ago.

Fantastic model. Well done! 

You should post some photos in the Gallery if you haven't already done so. It's such a beautiful model.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 1 year later...

I'm a late comer to this site and the Fifie. This thread (as well as John's build (Davao) on You Tube) have given me the inspiration to go ahead and do the model. I have only a very minor complaint and that's that the keel is MDF, not solid or plywood for radio control. It will need a very good waterproofing,

Thanks for that great review a the kit is everything you noted

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One quibble

i am building this as instructed and using the 1x1 walnut strips for caulking per the manual. There are not enough of them. Had to buy some and stain them. 

2 hours ago, Brucealanevans said:

One quibble

i am building this as instructed and using the 1x1 walnut strips for caulking per the manual. There are not enough of them. Had to buy some and stain them. 

Had the same issue when building mine !   And the rudder pintles and gudgeons were missing.   Amati's QC can be a little disappointing !

I've been dragging my toes in the snow but it sounds like I had best find those 5/4x8x24" walnut slabs that I have and think about making some rub strips.

One thing I have found with this build is that almost impossible to assemble lifeboat/dory that Amati so graciously used extremely flimsy  mdf for the internal framework. I picked up a Model Expo boat that looks very similar and may use it instead - or none at all. At least that one is 'real' wood and not quite so delicate.

• 1 month later...

Almost done and other than one missing brass piece which I fabricated from wood no problem with the materials except:

Let me repeat myself from an earlier post: Amati needs to include MANY more walnut 1mm x 1mm strips for “calking” the deck planks. The number included is less than half the number needed. 

Agree the dory is tough. I didn’t have a problem with the MDF framework but planking that little b****** was an exercise in frustration after the first 4-5 planks. Didn’t plan on painting the lower part but now I have to.