• 2 weeks later...

Enjoying your blog. The studding work is intense for detailing. I might try to tackle that on my "Vasa" when I start her after my current project which will be a few more months to complete. I assume you just clipped them off level with the planks as you went and then gently sanded them down?

Very unique detailing procedure really adds to the rustic historical look of her, simple but very time consuming; excellent work!

If i good understand..

Studding is toothpick and the https://www.modelnet.pl/akcesoria-szkutnicze/gwozdzie-szpilki-oczka/gwozdzie-10mm

First i glue the planks on hull,  initially grinding, and stain. After i sand the toothpick, and stain again. This technic give me satisfiying effect of wood shadows.

If someone is unclear, write! 

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Wiktor. I like your planking. You are taking time and when you think it could be better, you are correcting it (eg the stealers at the bow). The planking is hard to get right. It is made easier by double planking but it it still hard. Pictures of the actual ship help immensely. There are lots out there and a few of us have some we can provide as well.

I also agree with you regarding the planking colour and the suggested painting in the Instruction manual. I MUCH prefer to see the stained product which you are using, as it shows the wood grain and the beauty of the timber. It is also much more authentic of the actual ship (as it is now in the museum). I especially like your plank jointing. You have done a great splicing, angled joint job. What are proposing to do regarding nailing? The many nails on the actual ship have a combination of iron and tree nails (and now, replacement nails for conservation), but they are a feature which is an important part of the ship's appearance.

You look as though you have nearly finished the planking and it will be a big relief to have behind you. The result looks great, so congratulations. I will continue to watch your build with interest.

Regards,

Peter G.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...