Acrylic paint tips and techniques

I learned to paint, and got most of my modeling skills, painting wargaming and role playing game miniatures back in the 1990’s.

I tend to use the same paint techniques for my ships or other models.

I like to prime with black and then layer up my paint to create the illusion of depth and lighting.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Ahh, that's not a 'primer' in the technical sense. In art it would be called under-paint and was indeed used by the Old Masters, say green under areas of skin to provide depth. Now I understand your point.

I also use 'under-paints' or base-coats, when a model is made up of different materials to have a common starting point for the actual paint, if it is with a pigment that may not be covering very well, say red for example.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Interesting discussion. A few months ago I made railings for a model out of 0.5mm steel wire. I can't remember if I primed before painting white but in time the paint flaked off.  What products or methods work best here? 

Current builds:

1) HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller)

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23247-hms-victory-by-kevin-the-lubber-heller-1100-plastic-with-3d-printed-additions/

2) Bluenose II 1:100 (Billing) - paused, not in the mood

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30694-billing-bluenose-ii-1100-no600-by-kevin-the-lubber/

3) Cutty Sark 1:96 Revell

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30964-cutty-sark-by-kevin-the-lubber-revell-196

Stash:

Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 (a spare for later)

Revell Beagle 1/96 (unlikely to ever get built!)

Revell Kearsage 1/96 (can't wait to get started on this)

Revell Constitution 1/96

If at first you don't succeed, buy some more tools.

This is the best I’ve found:

0C6D2FBD-61AD-41AB-AC88-BD9B06540453.thumb.jpeg.7c0cafd531b5e759654d5c415c4bc2e1.jpeg

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Pricey stuff, here in the uk. I guess I’m also missing the obvious - it’s probably flaking because the Vallejo primer is water-based,  whereas, since these are metal parts, if I just used normal car body primer it should stick just fine. Or the little humbrol spray cans, which I sometimes use anyway for convenience.

Current builds:

1) HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller)

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23247-hms-victory-by-kevin-the-lubber-heller-1100-plastic-with-3d-printed-additions/

2) Bluenose II 1:100 (Billing) - paused, not in the mood

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30694-billing-bluenose-ii-1100-no600-by-kevin-the-lubber/

3) Cutty Sark 1:96 Revell

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30964-cutty-sark-by-kevin-the-lubber-revell-196

Stash:

Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 (a spare for later)

Revell Beagle 1/96 (unlikely to ever get built!)

Revell Kearsage 1/96 (can't wait to get started on this)

Revell Constitution 1/96

If at first you don't succeed, buy some more tools.

What do you mean by 'making your thinner'? Normally, thinners are a simple chemicals, such as (distilled) water, alcohol, acetone or white spirit.

OK, you could do a bit of moon-shining and make your own alcohol or distill some water, but the others you cannot make at home ;)

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

5 hours ago, targa4403 said:

I was wondering if making your own thinner is better than buying already made thinner?

I d say just buy the thinner, same brand as your paint. The cost is insignificant all things considered and you know you get the correct product. If the paint job goes wrong it is usually a much bigger job to fix things. Certainly for brush painting with Valejo, I feel it is a must to buy their thinners and retarders. 

Edited by vaddoc

21 hours ago, wefalck said:

What do you mean by 'making your thinner'? Normally, thinners are a simple chemicals, such as (distilled) water, alcohol, acetone or white spirit.

OK, you could do a bit of moon-shining and make your own alcohol or distill some water, but the others you cannot make at home ;)

sort of.  Here is a list of components for air brush thinner:

There are four ingredients:

• Distilled water
  • Isopropyl Alcohol (99.9%)
  • Acrylic Flow Improver
  • Acrylic Fluid Retarder

If using pure water based acrylic paints, don't use IPA! Tamyia(sp) paints have a alcohol base, so the above might work with them, but all others react badly to IPA! For these others you use IPA as a cleaner, not as a thinner. Adding the IPA to these types of paint, is like adding lacquer thinner to enamels. The IPA will either cause premature drying, or prevent adhesion. The other three ingredients can be used with most acrylics, but the Flow improver and retarder are better added to the bottle airbrush cup as you use it and in small quantities..

3 hours ago, thibaultron said:

If using pure water based acrylic paints, don't use IPA! Tamyia(sp) paints have a alcohol base, so the above might work with them, but all others react badly to IPA! For these others you use IPA as a cleaner, not as a thinner. Adding the IPA to these types of paint, is like adding lacquer thinner to enamels. The IPA will either cause premature drying, or prevent adhesion. The other three ingredients can be used with most acrylics, but the Flow improver and retarder are better added to the bottle airbrush cup as you use it and in small quantities..

Here in the Northern California Wine Country, there are lots of micro-breweries and if you go into a big chain drug store and ask for IPA, they're likely to send you to the liquor department where the various boutique brands of IPA, India pale ale, are stocked! :D As far as my "gentleman's C" in chemistry gets me. I understand that ethyl alcohol, which is distilled from plant starches, and isopropyl alcohol, which is a product derived from petroleum, are entirely different things. I have always used ethyl alcohol in my shop as a solvent for shellac and, where indicated, for thinning acrylic and latex paints, as well as for a marine stove fuel and I buy it by the gallon tin. I've never used it for dissolving PVA adhesive, but I've heard many recommend isopropyl alcohol for that purpose, but never ethyl alcohol. Do any of the chemists in attendance, or even anybody who plays a chemist on the internet, know whether, when we talk about using alcohol for dissolving PVA adhesive or conditioning acrylic paint, it makes any difference whether we use ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol for such purposes, or are the two completely interchangeable?

Lagunitas_India_Pale_Ale_-_6_x_355_ml_1024x1024.png?v=1596561072

Edited by Bob Cleek

Bob,

For many (most?) jobs where the alcohol acts as a solvent either isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol C3H7OH) or ethanol (C2H5OH) will work. It is mainly the hydroxyl (-OH) part of the molecule that makes them good solvents. Both evaporate fairly quickly.

However, for specific chemical reactions the type of alcohol may be critical and ethanol and isopropanol are not interchangeable. I do not think this is the case with ordinary paints.

• 10 months later...
On 2/8/2024 at 8:46 AM, Dcox said:

Just to add, there is a product called Mr. Color leveling thinner. It retards the drying time of acrylics so they can flow better which reduces brush strokes. There is a way to DIY the product which is quite cost effective, a simple YT search shows how.

Mr. Color works with alcohol, based acrylics, like Tamiya, and Mr Color, not water based, like Vallejo.

Each paint mfg has a proprietary additive for their paints.  I wouldn't stray from the mfg's product w/o testing.  NOT on your model.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

I'll second Kurt's statement. Use the mfg's thinner for the paint you use on your models. The wrong thinner can clog up your (air)brushes. Use your alternative thinners for cleanup.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

There's less chance of things going wrong using the thinner from the paints maker but if your using water based acrylics then Vallejo airbrush thinner is a very good all rounder that plays nice with most paints,(tamiya acrylics are an acrylic lacquer so you need to use their thinner same as mission models paints!)

One really useful item to use while brush painting with acrylics is a Wet Palette ,it doesn't thin you paints but it keeps them "moist" so they dont dry out while you using them! there are plenty of guides in the internet on how to make your own if you dont want to buy one.

Richard

Badger's acrylic paints use distilled water for thinning.  Distilled water is so cheap and easy to get I have not even thought of using other fluids.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 2:59 AM, nikbud said:

The technique I have found most valuable when brushing with acrylics is the use of a "wet palette".

I came across this method when I was painting Warhammer figures, it is great for mixing colours and/or thinning paints.

All you need can be found in the kitchen; 

a waterproof base - a plastic margarine tub lid is ideal,

a sheet or two of kitchen roll/paper,

a piece of greaseproof/ baking paper

and some water.

Fold up the kitchen roll so its 4 layers thick, place in the base and flood with water. Pour off the excess water and place the greaseproof paper on top.

Put a dollop of the required paint/s on the paper and mix/thin to your hearts content. The paint will stay wet far, far longer than it would on an ordinary palette.

It works well with Humbrol, Tamiya, Citadel and Artists type acrylics. I haven't tried it with other manufacturers paints but I can see no reason why it would not work with any acrylics.

1205.thumb.jpg.25c978b75f68ea778b7de6b4f1e25892.jpg

Another acrylic tip, or rather non-acrylic tip, is that for washes and drybrushing, don't use acrylics.

I have had much better results with artists Oil paints thinned with white spirit. As they take longer to dry than acrylics they are much more controllable and subtle, giving little or no "tide mark" when the wash dries.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul and many others,

Awaiting arrival of my elusive white Vallejo acrylic, I've on and off been busy clearing the garage of 40 years of accumulated "useful junk" and glued together a small "painting station".  The brush holders are protective plastic tubes for disposable injection needles, etc. Now the painting! 🤠

IMG_20240309_112732.jpg