HMS Royal Caroline by Peta_V - Panart - scale 1/47 - from box with modifications

Hi, 

I'm re-posting my building log from a long time ago. My building log was lost during some server migration and as I did not progress with a build I haven't Re-post until now. 

The start of the build was perhaps 10-12 years ago. I build almost complete hull within 2 years (most of the work was from the box). 

When the hull was nearly finished I got the Conway's Anatomy of the ship plans and I started with some modifications. Unfortunately I do not have photos from that period anymore. 

Than I got long brake (first job, next Jobs, childerns etc.). Few months ago I started again. 

To do are mast, rigging, sails and some little rest on the hull. Now I try to follow the new plans as much as possible.

I started with bowsprit and fore lower mast and standing rigging. Current status is on pics. 

IMG_20190117_115211.jpg

IMG_20190117_160833.jpg

IMG_20190117_115154.jpg

IMG_20181222_223013.jpg

IMG_20181222_223041.jpg

IMG_20190104_122834.jpg

IMG_20190117_115230.jpg

IMG_20190117_102547.jpg

IMG_20190111_123851.jpg

IMG_20190104_122907.jpg

IMG_20190104_165830.jpg

IMG_20190117_115135.jpg

Hi, not many on the hull. I Made whole new gun cariages, more belaing points on the decks and ports. From deck above, all is done from scratch. Masts, heads, all the rigging etc. All this was very simplified in the kit. 

Edited by Peta_V

This is my sample of homemade ropes. Various width and colors. I'm using various Gutermann 100% polyester threads (shown in table) and I decided color black (000) for standing rigging and color (868) for running rigging.

IMG_20190118_125744.jpg

Capture.JPG

Btw I had a really Hard Times to create headrails. I postponed it to the very end of the build because I do not know how to..... Are there any good tips how to start? The kit and plans are way off So I do not have any reference. 

1 hour ago, Y.T. said:

Hi Peta_V, you are doing excellent job with this project. Your hull is museum quality. I also am very impressed with your rigging job. Can you do me a favor and explain how you achieve this look of rope ends where ropes coming into friction with other surfaces? Are you having them cross-tied with very thin thread? But how it gets laid so uniformly? Could you reveal details of this?

Regards

YT

Exactly, the thick cable is served with thin thread. I build a machine from lego for this purpose. Through gears it turns with thick cable around and thin thread is laid on it. 

IMG_20190118_114422.jpg

I have cut Down some juniper. IT has really nice color od the core. Do you know if it is somehow usefull for the ship build? I think it would be nice for inner bort planking gun cariages atc. But I have no idea how it behives after drying. Colour, cutting?? 

IMG_20190126_113358.jpg

Edited by Peta_V

Hello Peta.

Stunning work.

I bet the grandson is missing his Lego ? Or did you purchase it just for rope making.

On 2/1/2019 at 11:51 PM, Y.T. said:

Hey. These are perfect ropes. So far you are one who does ropes better than anybody I had seen.

I've got to agree with Quote above.  First class.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Hi Antony,

thanks for your comment. Lego bricks comes from one very old set from my childhood. I have many Lego sets and still like to build something time to time. Those few bricks will not be even recognized in the quantity I have :D