Keeling and Clayton Mustang Funny Car by jct - FINISHED - 1/24 - used to be Lew Arrington's Brutus Funny car

jct

Thx Denis...it is has a gold flake to it...the Vega will undergo a rework after the Mustang is completed...there was a lot of chassis damage as well as that to the body, I'm gonna have to scratch about half the chassis to bring it back, no fear there will be pics:D

Thanks to all for the likes and comments

Made a little more progress on the K&C Mustang today...got a clear coat on and the "chrome" painted out

926915037_30-finijshedtrim.JPG.3c07b957592b1a5536a81b8fcd9fb0e9.JPG

2036678570_31-doubleditto.JPG.2359947cfb83cbce65b8b2206687710f.JPG

a few touch-ups needed and she'll be ready for here final markings...speaking of which...here's a shot of them1462864173_32-newmarkings.JPG.dc5fcc695a9bd0a38070a703b8ad83e8.JPG

hoping to start on them tomorrow, from the looks of them they are going to take a couple days, up to 3 layers in some places

Started a log on the Vega build https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/20021-green-elephant-funny-car-in-124-by-jct/

Edited by jct
added link

great looking paint job.........the decals look really nice as well.   they should look awesome together :)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks for all the likes and comments...an update of sorts, was able to start decal application...one step forward and two back...again

I did a test to see if the decals would hold up and that turned out fine.332460055_33-decaltest.JPG.5a2dcf40ed14d89a282cbd9eaa757d99.JPG

so I proceeded with the application...

34-nose.JPG.67c5205493125a4530e1d61234a66679.JPG

the grill went well so I moved to the back...IMG_9554.JPG.e823f81adba3313b9494c2e73e3e662c.JPG

and the decal broke-up as soon as it was touched...the air was blue with expletives that would have made many an old salt blush...so I blacked out the taillight panel...

348967542_35-tailpanel.thumb.JPG.609e31bfbfcd1b093917f30427029f07.JPG

and then went back to the sheet and coated all the remaining decals with this stuff...which I had read good things about

IMG_9556.JPG.fa0f08fbddf424094d1fab827d1d416d.JPG

after allowing two coats to dry I started again 

36-taillights.JPG.ae61250b0fcabafdc3cbfcc0eb8ba908.JPG

and all was going well until the large roof decal...it self destructed beyond repair

37-AHHHH.JPG.a22d9ba3f41a945989b2ff928613f453.JPG

you can see in the pic some of the larger decals laid out fine, :huh:

So here we are, I've reached out to Slixx to see if they'll replace this set, I doubt it, but you never know unless you ask.  I'm personally surprised by this as I've used Slixx decals on numerous car builds in the past and always found their product to be top notch.   I'll be coating the Green Elephant decals with more then two coats...I'm about up to my eyeballs with decal issues, ok done venting now...

I see I wasn't the only person who should have just watched TV  ;)     good to hear that Slixx is gonna hook ya up with another set.  surprising,  sine the date on those decals was 2005.   then again,  the point where they go bad is anyone's guess really...it depends how they are stored.  I'll tell ya about my day tomorrow........it'll be like swapping war stories  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Ya I was happy to hear good news from her...one thing she did pass along, for problem decals, was that they recommend using very hot water and not soaking the decal at all...just a quick dunk and then onto the blotter for a few minutes...I would not of thought to increase the water temp....seems counter intuitive, but since I got a new set on the way I'm gonna try it and see what happens...I'll let you all know...my day semi sucked as well...beyond the decal issues...

increasing the water temp will soften the decal.   the newer the decal,  the quicker the release.  I use warm water for my decals.  odd shaped decals are better if you don't cut around them........they won't hang off the edge of the sheet.  if there is another decal on the piece,  I work around it and put it on next......not much else that can be done {just don't let it dry}.  hope it was nothing serious.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Na just the heater core, though that is a beast of a job on a JK Wrangler, luckily my oldest son saved the day and did the bulk of the heavy lifting

did ya need to pull away the dash?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Partially...we cut the hards lines and replaces them with rubber lines, only had to pull the passenger side, and cut out a dash brace...less hassle but still a pita

my brother had to pull the dash in a Ford Taurus........glad it was him and not me ;)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thx for all the likes and comments...been slowly working on the decals...these things are a real b-----d, working slowly I've had to break the large ones down into sections, otherwise they self destruct, slow going hope to have pics tomorrow.  

takes a bit to mix and match paint,  but in the end it will be worth it........the car looks good so far ;)   keep at it

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You bet...think I've turned the corner with this one

The roof decals were the worst ever but the rest of the markings laid down like you expect Slixx to react

IMG_9590.JPG.f21b108af4689593ea99bc365c7e18ae.JPG

Pretty happy with the light blue match...the ampersand is a decal

You can see some of the areas for touch up in this shot

IMG_9597.JPG.a3b7c233a5d8920323c178d630c69b35.JPG

Here's a shot of the darker blue paint mix...I think it's pretty close

IMG_9599.JPG.e665a00a7dcb5affe511693085914f2c.JPG

look'in good !  :)   all it takes now,  is the right color paint.  you've definitely got it now!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Touch Ups are complete (sorry no pics)...may get the clear coat on tomorrow, then just a few steps to the big finale 

Well I’m really beginning to wonder if I’m supposed to complete these builds.  The clear coats on the Mustang have dried and it is a severe case of FLA... so the polishing has started with 600 as opposed to the 3600 I’d normally start with.

not at all sure why, it’s the normal Krylon I have used for years, never seen orange peel like this before...ARRRG

got the bulk of the fla removed...gonna clear coat (with different stuff) before going any further, I had to get pretty agressive with the 600 grit and don't want to take a chance of hitting the decalsIMG_9601.JPG.517ab4e8a0013e75eceb1dc6e1ee739b.JPGIMG_9603.JPG.020342e23499438e564cd29b92d7218a.JPG

sorry didn't think to do before pics

Super job saving that finish without destroying the decals! You got it just right.

Next time you're in Walmart, look for this product:

Pledge Floor Care Finish

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pledge-Floor-Gloss-Original-27-Fluid-Ounces/15136693?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=5220&adid=22222222227009393605&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40343007512&wl4=aud-566049426865:pla-78303532352&wl5=9012096&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=15136693&wl13=5220&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAiAqaTjBRAdEiwAOdx9xpbN0piFmDnqKWqjsw-dceZAQf4Rflm1rPZcJvnAns3eyCTJXmenrxoCP0YQAvD_BwE

It is a clear acrylic. Works great to put a gloss shine on our models. Safe for decals and great to spray on before using the decals to preserve them. Will make scratched clear plastic look like/better than new.

Try it on some test pieces through your airbrush. Does not need to be reduced. Cleanup with Windex with amonia. It takes a little practice to get the feel for it through the airbrush. Don't use it on your prize model until you practice first. I have used it for years (decade or more) and swear by it. A bottle will last a LONG time.

1 hour ago, CDW said:

It is a clear acrylic. Works great to put a gloss shine on our models. Safe for decals and great to spray on before using the decals to preserve them. Will make scratched clear plastic look like/better than new.

Try it on some test pieces through your airbrush. Does not need to be reduced. Cleanup with Windex with amonia. It takes a little practice to get the feel for it through the airbrush. Don't use it on your prize model until you practice first. I have used it for years (decade or more) and swear by it. A bottle will last a LONG time.

I agree with CDW 1000%. It does everything he says it does and more! My bottles don't look the same as the one he links to but they are old and for some reason J&J insists on changing the bottle look every few years without changing the formula.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Super job saving that finish without destroying the decals! You got it just right.

Next time you're in Walmart, look for this product:

Pledge Floor Care Finish

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pledge-Floor-Gloss-Original-27-Fluid-Ounces/15136693?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=5220&adid=22222222227009393605&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40343007512&wl4=aud-566049426865:pla-78303532352&wl5=9012096&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=15136693&wl13=5220&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAiAqaTjBRAdEiwAOdx9xpbN0piFmDnqKWqjsw-dceZAQf4Rflm1rPZcJvnAns3eyCTJXmenrxoCP0YQAvD_BwE

33 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I agree with CDW 1000%. It does everything he says it does and more! My bottles don't look the same as the one he links to but they are old and for some reason J&J insists on changing the bottle look every few years without changing the formula.

Thanks gents...next trip to Walmart, but I found an old can of Testors gloss at the back of my paint shelf...subjected it to immersion in hot water and gave it a shot, I'm satisfied with the results...good enough for me

IMG_9607.JPG.b950c67fb255266d133f9eee668566cf.JPGIMG_9608.JPG.46b08dd0fa6bbece780c87ca9fac861d.JPGIMG_9609.JPG.0c2cf704ec35feffa2670ce3fe3dec2b.JPG

Thanks again guys

59 minutes ago, lmagna said:

My bottles don't look the same as the one he links to but they are old and for some reason J&J insists on changing the bottle look every few years without changing the formula.

Indeed. My bottle is just over a year old and they already changed the label and the color of the label from blue to green.

Another thing, my bottle does not say, "cleaner" on it anywhere as the bottle does in the link I provided. That concerns me a bit as to whether they may have added some cleaning agent that could potentially harm the paint underneath the clear coat. As I said earlier, I would test it first before I used it on a prize model. 

That was why I stocked up on my supply several years ago when I bought a bunch of bottles from the WalMart discontinued shelves. It was probably not only unnecessary but also a symptom of my Hoarding disorder, but I am pretty sure that at the rate I am able to build models I have a lifetime supply unless the unopened bottles go bad over time sitting in the dark closet shelf! The one opened one was unchanged the last time I used it a year or so ago when I built a model to match my real Mini Cooper.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Well at long last here she is after approximately 16yrs in storage and a lot of heartburn...the completed Keeling & Clayton Mustang funny...which was the Lew Arrington Brutus funny...which was the Raymond Beadle Blue Max funny...

IMG_9618.JPG.50527a3ce41e825582a9169625acf0cc.JPGIMG_9610.JPG.1996dd3b16f66e66253af81473128035.JPGIMG_9617.JPG.aece61774c45a0ac63c2dfa4b6a3831d.JPGIMG_9620.JPG.0f958fbd797e065fa9919e9efea94471.JPGIMG_9621.JPG.da49744b77bb3f8431795c3ade85399e.JPG

not perfect by any stretch, but she's out of storage and on the shelf...thanks to all who supported throughout this build, was loads of fun reminiscing with you all.

Edited by jct