Ship ID

Jake Buxton

I'm not a model ship builder but my grandpa was.  He built the ship below, probably in the 1980s.  I need to dust it off and make some repairs before I really display it.  I'm just wondering if anyone can identify the ship?  I think maybe it's a clipper ship?  Flying Cloud perhaps?

IMG_1724.JPG

From your question I assume that there is no name on the transom of the model? To my (admittedly non-expert) eye, your model appears clipper-like, rather than a model of an actual clipper. Clippers tended to have sharper bows, rounded sterns, and generally more graceful lines than those of the model. In fact, the model more closely resembles what were known as packet ships, which were ships that were designed to increase cargo-carrying capacity at the expense of some speed, making them more profitable to operate and giving them a more bluff and stout appearance than a clipper. If you google the term, you'll find images that show what I mean. In either case, your model appears to be scratch-built, as it does not resemble any of the clippers normally found in kit form, and no one, to my knowledge, makes a kit of a packet ship. As you said, dust it off, re-attach any loose lines, and give it a place of honor somewhere to remember your grandfather. Thanks for sharing!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

She does appear to be a clipper, although not one of the earlier ones, which were what came to be called extreme clippers (with very clean lines).  Later clippers surrendered some of the cleanliness of the lines in favor of greater cargo carrying capacity (an economic trade off, less speed but greater profit, the so called medium clippers.)  Judging by the design and finish of the deck houses she could be the Cutty Sark, although some of the other details are a bit different.  But if she was scratch built, it is possible that some inaccuracies may have crept in.

Jim

Very similar hull shape as a packet ship as Chris says above, although I'm not sure of the gangplanks in the waist, definitely not a clipper or the cutty sark as they generally had their chains inboard and a roundedstern, could be a whaler or something along those lines

Regards

Paul

Edited by paulsutcliffe

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

I don't think it's a whaler as there's no sign of the equipment for rendering the blubber.    I'm partial to the packet ship label.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Unfortunately, the flag is not the correct era for the ship! The model represents a ship from  no earlier than the 1830's or '40's.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

There were square sterned clipper ships.  See Crother’s book. Having said this I believe that this model should be considered to be Folk Art, not built to exact scale but intended to convey the builder’s impression of a real or imagined sailing vessel.  

It’s value lies in the fact that your grandpa built it.  Give it a good cleaning (Q Tips and saliva), repair any damage, and fix the rigging.  By putting it in some sort of protective case future generations will have a tangible link to him.  I would not try to improve on what he did.

Roger

Now those three are definitely kits. From top to bottom they appear to be Victory, Soleil Royale, and Cutty Sark. Their construction details do look like what one would have seen in a kit circa 1970s. Soleil Royale was either never completed or has lost much of her rigging. The good news is, all three of these kits are probably still in production, so if you decided to learn the craft of rigging a period ship, you could still restore these models, either from kit plans or from appropriate reference works, of which their are plenty in print.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane