USN Picket Boat #1 1864 by Sea Hoss - FINISHED - Model Shipways

Starting my next build, USN Picket Boat #1.  I've discovered that this ship modeling is an addiction! Couldn't even wait a week after finishing "Syren" to begin this one! Well, after inventorying the kit, I put the keel together. Here we go again...

USN Picket Boat #1 Build.jpg

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

Ya Jim, I looked at all the Picket Boat builds here, very good ideas there! I've already begun to modify the parts to look more realistic, big fun!

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Prefinished parts before assembling the hull framing.1897557603_Prefinishingbeforebulkheadassembly.thumb.jpg.704c1583b99874acc971a4f5deb88dc7.jpg

Forming the bow and stern fillers while I wait for parts to dry, assembly tomorrow!558990034_Bevelingbowandsternfillers.thumb.jpg.23564a6d57f3d417be58fe3c7cb4a56e.jpg

Began fitting bulkheads and frames, cockpit is complete.

4-Installing bulkheads and frames.jpg

5-Frame installation.jpg

6-Frames.jpg

Frames and coal bins added. Saw in one of the builds here, leaving one of the coal bin hatches open, adds more interest I think!

7-Frames and coal bins in.jpg

8-Frames and coal compartments in.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

More completed on Picket Boat...1149959041_9-Beginplanking.thumb.jpg.21f5174593af4dd211b4a73187a49e35.jpg

10-Planking.jpg

11-Planking done.jpg

12-Planing done.jpg

13-Hull sanded and 1st coat matte black paint.jpg

14-Painted and 1st coat satin poly.jpg

15-Hull comleted.jpg

16-Getting ready for rub rails and trim.jpg

17-Ready to trim.jpg

More completed on Picket Boat. Made some changes as influenced by all the fine Picket Boat builds logged on the site.

18-Cover boards rubrails etc.jpg

19-Ready to build steamplant etc.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Began and finished the boiler part of the steam plant. Starting the engine portion now...The boiler sure takes up a lot of room in the boat, must have been cramped!

22-Steam boiler wrapped.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31-test fit.jpg

32.jpg

I’m sorry that video was not the one I had in mind.  ( I was searching at work (( during an offical break!))  ) Just last year there was one that showed  the picket boat with the extended torpedo, fully manned and also at night. The history channel link about it seems inactive. Maybe it went the way of the statues. I’ll keep looking.

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

I can't believe something like that would disappear. Actually in today's climate maybe I can. The only thing I could find was two pictures of the boat on Pinterest. It's not exactly like picket boat no 1, but it gave the idea. This is very disappointing. I wonder if  Gettysburg has just disappeared, during the middle of the night.

Kurt

DSC_2007.JPG

DSC_2016.JPG

Edited by Kurt Johnson
spelling

Wow, that's not the Picket Boat I have in mind! Looks like from "Gilligan's Island" where's the Skipper? Ya I thought about making this model look, battle scarred, but me being such a perfectionist, had to make her look straight out of the ship yard... I like the battle used look too, so many good renditions of her on the site, I bow to the realistic modelers. Had to strive for ship shape.

Just looked at the first picture, is that a howitzer or a pea shooter?

My guess with the peashooter is that they where trying to play fair since the the Albermarle is only 3/8 the size of the original. Did you notice the weird shape of the stack on the picket boat it tapers in toward the bottom but asymmetrically, only on the aft side.

Kurt

Edited by Kurt Johnson

Ya, I guess anyone outside of the " ship modeling " world has never even heard of a Picket Boat. You are right about people not remembering the history of our servicemen, hope they're not doomed to repeat it!

Some good progress, boiler finished and installed, engine built and plumbed in, condenser and hot well finished and plumbed. Power plant finished and my messy "work table".

33-Boiler.jpg

34-Engine in.jpg

35.jpg

36-Condenser.jpg

37-piping.jpg

38.jpg

39-Time to organize.jpg

40-power plant in.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

More work completed, pillar block for prop shaft (inboard), Howitzer completed with block and tackles. Should be finished by next post except for some extra details...

46-Prop shaft bearing block.jpg

45-Gun with tackles.jpg

44-Gun mounted.jpg

43-Howitzer and pins.jpg

42-Howitzer.jpg

Thanks all for the "thumbs up" the order of the pics got posted backwards? Also in the intro to this post, "pillar block" should have been pillow block, don't know where that came from, out of the mechanical world for too long I guess!

• 2 weeks later...

More work on the Picket boat. Began the spar torpedo. Now needs to be rigged. Mast is installed, have a question on it though. Does anyone know if flags can be flown on it or did it have another purpose? So now after rigging the torpedo, I think I may fabricate a display cradle, the one that comes with the kit is not to my liking. I have some nice red cedar I can use for it. Then I have some ideas for added interest/ realism that I plan on fabbing up. 

47- spar torpedo parts.jpg

48- assembly torpedo.jpg

50- torpedo 2.jpg

51- spar torpedo and mast.jpg

52- spar torpedo.jpg

Fun build to watch, keep up the good work.

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

Thank you Jonathan, I'll have to rethink the mast situation...

11 hours ago, Sea Hoss said:

Thank you Jonathan, I'll have to rethink the mast situation...

Glad to help, amazing that this smaller Union historical Civil war ship is limited in historical drawings for us modelers. I have not found any reference to what other possible flags were used on her. The Union flag is on the stern flag pole as illustrated ( Watch the star count for proper flag) http://www.civilwar.com/resources/313-flags/148536-union-flags.html but not sure what was flown on the bow flag pole, possibly a pennant. Will put a feeler out for some more info on this boat to a couple of Civil war naval historians I know. See if we can find anything confirming the bow pole.

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

Thanks again Jonathan, I will use these sites to wrap up the details on my little warship...

Sea Hoss here's the information on the flags. No one can confirm as yet what the jackstaff  flag was.

The star count should be 35; it was just a few days before the 36th state, Nevada, was admitted.
The Union position was that all states, including those which claimed to have seceded, were in the Union.

p.s. just speculating, but if I were carrying out the attack, handling the spar torpedo and possibly the howitzer, I would dismount and stow the jackstaff.

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

More progress on The Picket Boat. The model itself as instructed, is finished. I made some alterations along the way that made sense to me and due to the other featured Pickets on this site. I decided to make this one like, fresh from the ship yard. I have some other "goodies" to add for realism and visual appeal. A custom cradle was made as the one provided looked sad. The new cradle is mahogany and finished well. I will enter this one in the "finished models from kits" when all details are added.

63- permenently attached.jpg

62- sits well.jpg

61-cradle assembled.jpg

60-making display cradle.jpg

59.jpg

58.jpg

57.jpg

56.jpg

55.jpg

54.jpg

53-Basic model finished.jpg