Lively of Baltimore 1813 by Jeffb - FINISHED - The Lumberyard - 1/48 - first complete wooden model ship build

Jeff

This looks like it is a good quality kit and your workmanship looks to be great.  

The only glaring oddity I see are the gratings which I am guessing is a mistake on the plans.  The battens are running athwartships with the ledges  running fore and aft rather than the other way around.

I look forward to your next update,

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Glad to see that you're still making progress on this wonderful model, Jeff. It's a lovely model!

I know the feeling of "hitting the wall" on a build. I've currently done just that as well on my Pen Duick build. The rigging instructions are all but useless and I've been having difficulty getting motivated to continue to struggle through it. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Allan and Bob.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake with the gratings, Allan.  The mistake is mine.  The plans are correct.  Unfortunately, it's too late to change it now but I know for next time.  The reason I bought this model was to learn and practice some of the basic techniques I need to know when tackling something more complex.  Plastic models are often criticized for their inaccuracies and hard to follow instructions but they don't hold a candle to these models.  It is helpful advice from members of this forum and the growing number of references in my library.

Bob, I usually have more than one project on the go at the same time and will switch back and forth when I hit a wall.  I use to time on one project to contemplate the challenge presented by the first and build up the fortitude to return to it.

Here's a few more photos:

IMG_3333.thumb.JPG.4019447de5c0762f4e8f3dc3e622c3a4.JPG

IMG_3334.thumb.JPG.b103679322ddb76dd2f8df5f8285b0ba.JPG

IMG_3337.thumb.JPG.9f017a4a44641e8e0ab84940a52d7bcc.JPG

I'm about to start on the anchor.  The rope for the anchor included in the kit is dark brown.  It seems to me that the anchor rope should be beige.  Am I correct?

Thanks for following along with me.

Jeff

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

Completed Builds: Lively of Baltimore 1813 - The Lumberyard; 1/72 Canadair CL-215 water bomber Ontario markings, 1/72 Canadair CL-215 water bomber Newfoundland markings; 1/72 Canadair CL-415 water bomber Ontario markings

Future Builds: Future Builds: HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina; Tender "Avos" Master Korabel; NRG Half Hull; HMS Speedy Vanguard Models

3 hours ago, Jeffb said:

Thanks Allan and Bob.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake with the gratings, Allan.  The mistake is mine.  The plans are correct.  Unfortunately, it's too late to change it now but I know for next time.  The reason I bought this model was to learn and practice some of the basic techniques I need to know when tackling something more complex.  Plastic models are often criticized for their inaccuracies and hard to follow instructions but they don't hold a candle to these models.  It is helpful advice from members of this forum and the growing number of references in my library.

Bob, I usually have more than one project on the go at the same time and will switch back and forth when I hit a wall.  I use to time on one project to contemplate the challenge presented by the first and build up the fortitude to return to it.

Here's a few more photos:

IMG_3333.thumb.JPG.4019447de5c0762f4e8f3dc3e622c3a4.JPG

IMG_3334.thumb.JPG.b103679322ddb76dd2f8df5f8285b0ba.JPG

I'm about to start on the anchor.  The rope for the anchor included in the kit is dark brown.  It seems to me that the anchor rope should be beige.  Am I correct?

Thanks for following along with me.

Jeff

Yes, not black as that line was never tarred.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

The anchor is next.  There isn't much about the anchor itself in the instructions, just the rigging is covered.  This is where the small library of references I have been building has come in handy.

After blackening the anchor and fabricating a ring, the stock was made:

IMG_3341.thumb.JPG.759beeba7e5f7445cb2ded6cebad729a.JPG

Bands were made with black construction paper:

IMG_3345.thumb.JPG.f784d447a233ebb83e3ed8afca13204f.JPG

The ring was blackened and an inside cinch tied the rope to the anchor:

IMG_3348.thumb.JPG.22133ca24f97dd0cb5ec48bea6d74a9a.JPGIMG_3349.thumb.JPG.3373efd73d87bfd6e89e188fa3d92a17.JPG

The completed anchor on the model:

IMG_3351.thumb.JPG.cbb7192ed24868fef36bb6e034357f16.JPG

IMG_3353.thumb.JPG.d58ff09f2d513912d635c76500883dd8.JPG

IMG_3354.thumb.JPG.071bb865e80749181ba44ef6636de046.JPG

I asked earlier about whether or not the anchor rope would have been tarred or not and there are opinions on both sides so I decided to follow the direction provided for the Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop and considered it to be lightly tarred (brown).

Thanks for checking in.  As always, helpful advice is appreciated.

Jeff

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

Completed Builds: Lively of Baltimore 1813 - The Lumberyard; 1/72 Canadair CL-215 water bomber Ontario markings, 1/72 Canadair CL-215 water bomber Newfoundland markings; 1/72 Canadair CL-415 water bomber Ontario markings

Future Builds: Future Builds: HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina; Tender "Avos" Master Korabel; NRG Half Hull; HMS Speedy Vanguard Models

• 1 month later...

It's been a while and I've been slowly making progress.  I am almost finished the running rigging.  Does that mean I'm finished if I'm not doing sails or do I need to rig the sail tackle?  It seems to me of the sails are not on the ship that the rigging for the sails would also be off.

IMG_3365.thumb.JPG.dd5f1057bfee513428e81eef87b6aa50.JPG

IMG_3366.thumb.JPG.55622a873264db266374bad05fd24a00.JPG

IMG_3367.thumb.JPG.4e95f0e15f0ae713c4c77b832f841d5f.JPG

IMG_3368.thumb.JPG.8ff4d40fa4f3469c2c5e61a5a38c8c99.JPG

IMG_3369.thumb.JPG.0b628037ab546944c5030afcc53db5a2.JPG

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9603.jpg.d857540cd279f0a32e8ce1f794e781b2.jpg

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

That all depends - do you want to be finished? Are you satisfied with it as is?

Some people add some of  the sail rigging  even if there are no sails. The vessel is rigged to be ready to accept sails.

For example, the jib halliard and downhauls are rigged. The halliard is rigged through the block on the mast and the sail head end is brought down to the bowsprit . The downhaul is rigged out on the bowsprit, through the block/sheave and hooked to the end of the halliard. This way it is only necessary to bring up the jib and fasten the head to the halliard and downhaul. With the tack fastened to the bowsprit all you have to do is haul on the halliard to raise the sail. Of course the sail would also have to be laced to the jib stay in the process, and the downhaul run through several of the lace loops, but it would be faster than having to rig the lines first.

In a similar way the clew lines and sheets of square sails can be rigged and hooked to each other before the sail is hauled up to the yard.

Take a look at the Model Shipways kit No. 2003 "Dapper Tom" instructions (available on line) to see how they rig the sail lines without adding the sails. It adds more rigging and makes the model look a bit more complicated or complete.

So it all depends upon whether or not you want to do more rigging.

3 hours ago, Jeffb said:

I am almost finished the running rigging. 

Jeff:

Is the rigging line supplied still from Morope?  That was what was originally supplied with the kit.  Until Chuck made his rope available the Morope was the best on the market in my opinion.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

• 9 months later...

Hi Kurt,

I apologize for not answering this sooner.  Yes the rigging line was supplied by Morope.  I'm not sure if that is still the case, I bought the kit at the time that your practicum was first published in Ships in Scale.

Jeff

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

I have now finished the kit.  Photos can be seen in the Gallery of Finished Kit Builds.

Jeff

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds: