Sydney Opera House by Dan Vadas - FINISHED - Schreiber-Bogen - 1:300 - CARD

This model is of the iconic Sydney Opera House. The kit is from Schreiber-Bogen, a German kit publisher. When finished it will measure 730mm x 470mm x 230mm :

IMG_5612.JPG

IMG_5611.JPG

My thoughts on the kit are that it is not printed as well as I'd hoped, with no "weathering" at all and fairly simplistic colouring. The card is of reasonable quality without being exceptional, and the instructions are fairly basic line drawings which are easy enough to follow. The design of construction could have been better, but it's workable.

IMG_5608.JPG

On with it. I started the model 3 days ago, and have completed the base to the stage of adding the vertical sections. For bracing beneath the base a number of square sections are used, some of which are integral with the upper surface and others are free sections :

IMG_5609.JPG

IMG_5610.JPG

IMG_5607.JPG

These pieces are ready for fitting to the main section :

IMG_5606.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Look forward to this build, Dan. Was just there last month and saw La Boheme. Awesome experience. I noted from the side that it looks a lot like a ship. Wonder if that's just me?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Pretty typical quality, I think, for a Schreiber kit. I don't think that architectural models in general ever get much in the way of weathering.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

20 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

I don't think that architectural models in general ever get much in the way of weathering.

The few architectural models that I constructed in college were done as in the manuals to be a pristine representation of the building when it's brand new.  Clients don't want to see the building that they plan on building and paying for in any kind of disrepair. 

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

14 hours ago, dvm27 said:

I noted from the side that it looks a lot like a ship

I believe that the idea behind the design was to imitate the sails of yachts on Sydney Harbour.

12 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

The few architectural models that I constructed in college were done as in the manuals to be a pristine representation of the building when it's brand new.  Clients don't want to see the building that they plan on building and paying for in any kind of disrepair. 

Yeah I get that, but I was hoping they might have drawn in some texture. Like on the edges of the tiles for example.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

this looks to be a very interesting project Danny....you don't see to many of these.  if you think there should be added detail here and there,  add it in......you are more than capable :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

The main base is almost finished. I had to add a LOT of extra bracing :

IMG_5613.JPG

IMG_5614.JPG

I'm fairly happy with the way all the steps turned out :

IMG_5615.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I last posted to this log. Life got in the way a bit, but I've still managed to do some more work on the "House". These pics are of the staircases and windows on the seaboard side :

IMG_5617.JPG

IMG_5624.JPG

IMG_5625.JPG

Next step was to make the smallest of the three buildings. Here are some of the parts needed :

IMG_5620.JPG

Some assembly pics. The instructions are a bit sparse in some areas, a fair bit of guesswork was involved but it all came together in the end :

IMG_5618.JPG

IMG_5619.JPG

IMG_5621.JPG

The building fitted to the base. I'll straighten out the wrinkles at a later stage :

IMG_5622.JPG

IMG_5623.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Danish designer, tiles made in Sweden and shipped to Australia

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

As usual, Schreiber is a bit basic. I don't think they ever redesign an existing model, so they are a bit lagging in quality.

Their newest however, are much better in terms of print quality (eg the Limburger Dom) compared to the old ones (Dom in Worms or Marialaach).

A new design principle in architecture seesm to be 'fotorealistic': the building is no longer handcoloured, but foto's are used to represent the surface. That is 'optimal weathering' (although I'm not sure whether or not I always like the result)

Jan

On 3/12/2019 at 7:34 AM, maaaslo said:

I see you have been fighting with the paper a bit. one side of your build is creased, isn't it?

I sure have Pav and it's more than just that bit. It comes down to the card used (a bit too thin) and the way the kit is designed, which are both rather poor. I'm nearly at the stage of abandoning this model if I have any more problems with it.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Did you try laminating it? Sometimes it helps to strenghten the paper (as you know). I never had a chance to get my hands on SB kit. Is it really such thin card? Another option could be taking it to profesional printing studio and asking them to scan it and printing it onto something heavier. Bit pricey i admit.

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

46 minutes ago, maaaslo said:

Did you try laminating it?

Sure, all those parts that I could actually laminate. It's not really possible on some of them due to the tabs getting in the way and of course they are the parts that are virtually impossible to reach the back of to put pressure on once other pieces are glued up.

48 minutes ago, maaaslo said:

Is it really such thin card?

It's only 0.25mm, the same as photo paper. This is too thin for large pieces, it should have been at least 0.35mm or heavier, at least for about half the kit.

50 minutes ago, maaaslo said:

Another option could be taking it to profesional printing studio and asking them to scan it and printing it onto something heavier

Way too late for that I'm afraid, I'm getting close to completion.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Danny, tabs are there for you to slice them off. Polish kits dont have tabs. Tab-less joint is stronger then one with tabs... 

but i realise, i am not the one building this model. Perhaps for future you will know to stay away from SB ;)

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

• 2 weeks later...

I see I've been real slack on updating this log ;). Here we go again then :D.

I've completed the largest of the three buildings and fitted it to the base. It wasn't without numerous problems, mostly due to a lack of laminating extra card where needed. This resulted in quite a lot of wrinkles, most of which I managed to fix to a certain degree. Nowhere near perfect however :(. Here are some pics of the building fitted :

IMG_5629.JPG

IMG_5630.JPG

IMG_5631.JPG

IMG_5632.JPG

Laminating 1mm card to the support pieces helped a LOT in keeping the last building's structures straight. Here's one piece ready to glue to the central support :

IMG_5633.JPG

The building under way. It's turning out quite well so far, and I think it will be acceptable without any drastic modifications when it comes to fitting it to the base :

IMG_5634.JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

..some pretty daunting work there Danny.........way too many twists and turns!  looks really good  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks Popeye :).

I've finally finished the Opera House. I must say it wasn't the most enjoyable model I've ever built, and I'm not particularly happy with the way it turned out. Here are the final pics :

IMG_5635.JPG

IMG_5636.JPG

IMG_5637.JPG

IMG_5638.JPG

IMG_5639.JPG

IMG_5640.JPG

IMG_5641.JPG

My next model will be a (Card) Halinski MkIX Spitfire in about 1:50 scale. I'll do a build log for it in this forum.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Nicely done, despite the challenges of the kit Danny. I see your next model is staying with card - any plans to move back to wood anytime soon?

Despite your not being happy with this model, it is very nice and cleanly done, Dan. Looking forward to your next model!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks all for the kind words :).

11 hours ago, gjdale said:

I see your next model is staying with card - any plans to move back to wood anytime soon?

No Grant, not until I can build myself a new workshop. The main reason I started with Card in the first place is that I'm currently working in my bedroom - too much sawdust for wood and the power tools disturb the neighbours in the next room :D.

7 hours ago, maaaslo said:

Unless you going to change the scale yourself, it is going to be 1:33

Pav, it's in whatever scale my printer spat out. I'll be able to work out what the actual scale is after I glue together the fuselage - I know what the original wingspan is.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

1 hour ago, Dan Vadas said:

Pav, it's in whatever scale my printer spat out. I'll be able to work out what the actual scale is after I glue together the fuselage - I know what the original wingspan is.

so you are copying the original you purchased and changing the scale, right? that's a good way. just make sure that every page you print is in same settings. otherwise, your plane wont fit... LOL, im sure you know that. paint me pink and call me obvious.

super job Danny!  even though it fought you tooth and nail,  you got 'er together ;)    a model well done!

....now if someone can tell me,  why every time I log in here........I pick up my x actor :blink:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 weeks later...

Dan,

What kind of glue do you use for your card models?

Phil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me