bear

Pickels,Supervisor in Troutdale has Passed Away at 14

Ahoy Mates

It's with a heavy heart that I have to inform all that my shipyard supervisor and best friend Pickels has gone to the Catboat in Heaven last night. He lost his battle with being diabetic for the last 7 years of his 14. There will not be any photos of him being on top of what I am working on,but his spirit and great memories will always be with me.He was a very special cat to say the least. He loved people and all the guys in our building Group. Here's how I will always remember Pickels,always by my side watching what I was doing.

006.JPG

I lost my dear friend Takita this past year, who spent most of the previous 16 years attached to me in some way and disapproving of me whenever I left for any reason. Still can't really talk about it.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Keith, I know how it feels.

keetas8.jpg

Sorry to read of his passing, Keith. We grow attached to our feline and canine buddies, so it's a hard loss to handle. He'll be waiting for you when you cross the Rainbow Bridge into Heaven.

Ahoy Mates  Thanks for the kind words. I have had two cats who loved being with me as I work on the models. Precious and Pickels. I have started looking at rescue cats around my area with my sister Arlene. So maybe this spring I will have a new Supervisor in my shipyard. For the time being I can go over to Arlene's and get my cat fix with JD and Guliver.  I have this photo  next to me now while I start back to work on the Nina. Pickels loved to use it as a pillow while I worked on it.Here's Pickels last build-1/600 USS Iwo Jima LPH-2 Aurora kit for my best friends 70th birthday present. Tim served on the Iwo Jima 1969-1970 Viet Nam and Apollo 13 Recovery. I would imagine that Pickels is now working on the Catboat model we never got to do. RIP my Buddy.

Keith

iwo jima finished 1-30-2019 003.JPG

iwo jima 12-6-2018 013.JPG

iwo jima in case 1-31-2019 005.JPG

Been there and done that a dozen times so far so I know how you feel. It never gets any easier but we go back and do it again. When you feel the time is right a "second hand" cat is the way to go, all of ours have been pre-loved and then dumped but with a little patience have turned out brilliantly.

1614279905_dragons016.thumb.jpg.923f863d7a2cc25170482c3751c4078d.jpgMy last little helper Timothy the Red was a computer whizz (actually more a screen saver) who I lost March last year. Still find it hard to think of him!  

Rick

Thanks Pickels-Sweet Pickels was 8 years old when I adopted him. My sister got me to go to our Humane Society who had an event for Jackson Galaxy who was giving a talk on his new book just out then and his TV Program. Pickels was a 3 time return cat,and he was one of two cats they had up for adoption in the auditorium where Jackson would give his talk. There was over 150 people there and all the noise and fuss,Pickels was with his handler,just laying and watching what was going on.

I had lost my last cat Precious(another recue cat) about 3 months earlier to old age,and was not looking for a cat yet,but wanted to see Jackson.

Pickles looked like another cat I had had,Rockey. I went up and asked what his story was. He had been returned 3 times and was diabetic-non insulin. Being diabetic myslef and having had another cat who had been did not rule him out. As to the returns,they did not have any thing or reasons behind them.

I petted him and was with him for about 10 minutes when Jackson started his talk. I do not remeber what he said because I was thinking about adopting Pickels,even tho I had no intension of adopting a cat before I saw him.

After the talk my sister and I went back to see Pickels,and after about 5 minutes one of the supervisors asked if we wanted to go into an adoption room and see how Pickels would be away from the crowd and noise. At this monent a women came up and asked if we were the ones who might adopt a cat? we said yes,she then said theat Jackson would like to meet with us and Pickels. We said yes,and went ito the room. Pickle was very affectionate and at ease,then Jackson came in and spent about 30 minutes with us,he was just as nice as on TV,then I decieded to adopt Pickels. It was the best thing to happen to me in years.

He came home and met my Cocker Brandy,she did not care for cats,but would just ignore them,Pickles just hissed at her when she put her face up to the cat carrier before I opened it. That was the only time they did not get along. Each treated the house as their own from then on.

Pickles was always a great cat,loved all the guys in our ship group when they would come over for a meeting-up to 15,or just when one would come over. He would greet them at the front door,then make the rounds around the seated guys,each petting and talking to him.

He would only drink water from the dripping kitchen facett,so I had to make sure it was on all the time. If it was not he would let me know. One thing he would not let me do was to roll him over on his back. Other than that he never clawed me or bit me except for when I might have to pill him. Even then he was gentle.

Being a widower  and retired he was always with me and loved to lay bown as close as possible if not over my tools and what I was working on. He never played with anything except for sanding sticks and Evergreen thin plastic strips.

As soon as I would sit down at my building desk,he would come up and lay down or head butt me.

Your right about adopting a cat who has been let go. I found out that the reason he was most likely returned is that he hated other cats! He would pace back and forth if he saw one outside. He was a total inside cat,he never tried to go outside. A couple of times he marked the front door when a neighbor cat stayed on the front porch during the day. He stoped it onch I cover up the small side window next to the front door,so he could not see any at right outside.

I look forward to my next cat in the near future. Not as another Pickels but as the next King of the house with a diffent personallity.

I miss him laying next to my bare feet now while I an writing this. But his photo of him on the work table is next to me.We are very luky when they give all their love to you,no mater what happens. Here's the photo I will alawys have close to where I work.

Keith and Pickels

RIGGING,serving machine and Pickels video's 2-10-2018 014.JPG

Some pets can touch our hearts in wonderful ways. You were lucky with Pickels. I have a Maine Coon like him, Sparky. He showed up on our farm years back, so I have no idea how old he actually is. He's not a shop cat, but he is my TV watching buddy. Good luck in your search, Keith.

On 2/18/2019 at 4:42 AM, bear said:

Here's the photo I will alawys have close to where I work.

Your tears are my tears, Pickels looks a lot like our ole Mick who passed many years ago. The very best to you in your search for a new friend.  

Ahoy Mates

Today I went to the Vet's and picked up Pickels cremated remains and his paw print in clay. He's now in a cedar box which is next to where he always was laying down on the work table. He's in the top of my Gerstner Tool box now.

I received Chucks new launch kit in the mail today jsut before I went to pick up Pickels. This build will be in his memory .

Now I can start looking in earnest for another cat.

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Keith

Keith, some of our companions really worm their way into our hearts and in some cases also the hearts of our friends and family.  It’s good to have a reminder of them nearby for remembering the best memories of them.   

A case in point was our parakeet Beethoven.  While I have been a bird person all my life, my wife was not so much.  Beethoven was given his name by our neighbor for one thing, and my wife came to telling all our friends that he was a bird with a lot of personality as he always seemed to affect people in a very positive way.  Here is one photo of him inspecting a piece of nautical art.

182728928_artcritic.thumb.jpg.9562843f8afbc7735181d200ce1030e5.jpg

Well, sad to say, he died after having been with us for less than a year, of fatty liver disease. (It’s a very common aliment of parakeets.)   But, a friend of ours who only saw him a few times and was into making stained glass art, made the cement marker with cut glass shown here that we buried him under by our tree in the front yard.

100_3955.thumb.JPG.007277879e500ee90ed6d28f2a14e195.JPG

My wife really didn’t want to get another bird for over a year after that, but fate intervened and we ended up rescuing this parakeet shown below, named Cutie Bird that was briefly owned by a neighbor of my brother who suffered a stroke and was put in the hospital.

IMG_1469.thumb.JPG.7ff9f38d12db8dd7068a0a143ff43d2b.JPG

As he had no one in his family to take her until he could recover, my brother volunteered us, since we owned many birds before and knew how to care for them.  We took her in temporarily, but as the neighbor soon died, she became ours. 

My wife quickly become attached to her so that was fine.  Cutie Bird was with us for three years, but suffered the same fate as Beethoven.  We thought that she deserved to be buried under the same stone so now they are together in our front yard and will always be remembered.

My wife and I decided after that double loss of our companions’ short lives, that we needed one with a longer life span.  So we picked up our parrotlet Sebastian, our current bird of ten years from a breeder.

IMG_2459.thumb.JPG.086ab35e3c78011a1f1e7fdbafa1a261.JPG

With an expected life span of 20-25 years, we hope not to have to go through that again any time soon!   He seems to fill the role quite well.  Hope you can find another companion soon too.

Edited by BETAQDAVE