S-38 Schnellboot by ir3 - Italeri - PLASTIC - RADIO

The fans just arrived and will be installed tomorrow. The fans should keep a reasonable amount of air moving across the motors. While waiting the torpedo tubes were installed. Before going too much further the hull needs painting. I will be doing flat white above the water line first and then follow up with the rest at a later date. It'll be easier to do the painting above the water line before any decks and deck detail is added. Also waiting for the rest of the electronics.

Until next time,

IR3

P1040482-001.JPG

P1040483-001.JPG

Functioning torpedoes an option?   I'm kidding but I have seen it done.  Ok... on the serious side I have probably a dumb question, will there be a way to vent the warm air out of the hull or won't that be necessary?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark,

There will be a few open hatches. Hopefully it will be enough. About the torpedoes, Merriman sold a torpedo kit for the 1/72 Revel Gato running on compressed CO2. I suppose that one could use the same system here but probably not. But, a very interesting question.

Thanks,

Iran

Thanks Iran.  I was wondering about heat dissipation and possibility of water entering the hull.   I did see one model years ago where the builder either had working bilge pumps or it was just cosmetic and sucking in the pond water to discharge for effect.  Never did find out as there was always a crowd around him.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Once again, thanks for the likes and the comments. The hull has been painted and final installation of electronics and running gear has started. I absolutely hate painting so no micro close ups of this paint job. When I paint the model it comes from the shipyard with battle damage. If it came to a choice of painting or going to the dentist for a root canal, in the words of a famous old comedian, "I'm thinking about it". But, oh well, my goal is to have a reasonably acceptable model but testing of the Lurssen effect it on the top of the list. We will not be getting any closer to the model to check out the paint job.😀

The motors are in as well as the fuse boards and fans. The motors are wired to the fuse boards. Nice to have all screw connections. The fuse/fan board fits nicely and has ample clearance to the deck. I think with the deck house on there will be enough openings to get some cooling air in. Also, some hatches will be open so hopefully some air will exhaust through them. I am not too worried.

Until next time,

IR3

P1040484-001.JPG

P1040485-001.JPG

P1040486-001.JPG

P1040487-001.JPG

P1040488-001.JPG

Yes, I do believe it will be quit fast.

Electrics installation is just about done. The Power Distribution board, the Battery Combiner board and ON/OFF are installed. The switch is a Double Pole ON/OFF so instead of disconnecting batteries when done for the day, the switch will connect the positives of the batteries to the Battery Combiner. The Battery Combiner will run with just one Battery connected so depending on weight distribution I can run 1 or 2 batteries. When wiring the batteries, I might use a Deans 2 to 1 connecter so I can hook up the charger without taking out the batteries, TBD. The last of the installation will be a suitable location for the RX. I am still using my F-14 Marine radio running on 75MHZ. The RX position should not be a problem if kept away from the ESC's.

Until next time,

IR3

P1040489-001.JPG

• 5 months later...

I have had so many problems getting the prop shafts to line up and getting the Lurssen effect working that I decided to just do a static build. I can see now what the kit manufacturers go through to engineer running gear in the models. It is above my pay grade. If anyone wants to try a motorized version of this, please let me know. I have all the components removed and may offer them. Thanks for the followers. When I get back to working on this, I will do more posting.

I guessing this falls under the "best laid plans of mice and men" then?  :( I'm sorry to hear that as it looked like you had everything going right.  I am happy to read that you'll finish her.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark, thanks for the reply. My biggest problem is running across something interesting and different and I just have to do it. Like implementing the Lurssen effect on the Schnellboot. I am too quick to gobble up an old kit only to realize that getting the running gear and fitting kits will be almost impossible and so more improvising. The Schnellboot was an interesting adventure but started taking up too much precious time.  I do have some very nice Steam projects that I have collected over the years and will concentrate on them. For sure, there will be no improvising on them, just straight forward builds with excellent instructions and steam plants designed directly for them. Time is moving on too quickly.

Too bad on the RC part of this build ir3. But it happens to almost everyone at one point or another. It is good to see that you will finish her as a static build. 

Just as a forewarning. You may find that RC steam, even in kit form offers a whole new set of engineering issues in getting it to work properly and reliably. Once you get the bugs ironed out though they are interesting to operate and certainly impressive to watch.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 7 months later...

eBay, S-38 Schnellboot Upgrades. I just searched S-38 Schnellboot Props. A very nice upgrade kit with motors, mounts, shafts, etc. It all installed very nicely once the prop shafts were lined up. Trying to implement the Lurssen effect was my downfall. I have run the boat for a while and then passed it on to an interested individual.

Edited by ir3

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to S-38 Schnellboot by ir3 - Italeri - PLASTIC - RADIO