18th Century Armed Longboat by Dwight - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/24 scale

Well I was determined not to do this , too embarrassing. Anyway here I am. I've got to the point of planking this little guy and thats a new experience !!! Those of you who have built this boat know that some master builder decided to start off the planking with an impossible task , namely edge bending. I ruined half my plank material trying to master this mysterious procedure to no avail soooo..... having been an avid model railroader for most of my life I decided to just make the darn planks with the edge bend built in. Off to Hobby Lobby searching through the selection of boxwood for one that didn't have grain running in snake patterns and using some french curves and voila one edge bent plank. I've done about 10 of these and 6 or 7 actually worked. Don't know if anyone has run into this problem or my solution but for what it's worth , here it is. Sorry for the bad photo , I'm a much better model builder than a photographer

When I finish planking and using up two or three pounds of wood filler and sq. yards of sand paper I'll post some more pics. if its still in one piece.IMG_0226.thumb.JPG.3c271c579f2941b5d387b1742ad2d9ea.JPG

Dwight

current build : Fair America by Model Shipways

Completed Build : 18th Century Armed Longboat by Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Under the bench : Syren by Model Shipways ,, Rattlesnake by Model Shipways

You can’t just bend dry wood or it will break. Some people soak in warm water and bend it on the frames or use an electric bender. I prefer steam. I make a jig forming the bend in the hull, attach the wood to the front with a clamp, hit with steam and slowly bend and clamp it to the jig. I usually do four planks at a time. Let it air dry or hit it with a hair dryer. It is a learning curve you’ll soon master it. 

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Oh I havn't had any trouble bending with hot water. It's the side bending I can't get. I've let the wood soak in hot water for as long as two hours and it still fights me. What I'm doing now works for site or edge bending while the traditional method works for everything else. I done't even have any trouble side bending small amounts with the wood wet and using my fingers.

Dwight

Completed Build : 18th Century Armed Longboat by Model Shipways Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Good for you !

Dwight

Probably works much better than soaking , Jim. Unfortunately the only source of steam I have is in the kitchen and thats high politics country.

I did get the thing " planked " if you ignore the gaps and dips and ..... This thing will definitely not float ! Hoopefully lots of wood filler will allow me to get it to the point where it can be painted.

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

Dwight

Did a bunch of wood filling and a bunch more sanding. Also a lot more reading to find out what went wrong so I have learned a bunch. Anyway heres what she looks like now. No doubt she's gonna be painted.

IMG_0231.JPG

Dwight

I found some paint that looks like fresh box wood and painted the hull. Looks much better and will help me see where I still need to fill and sand. There is more than one way to hide a lousey planking job. I've also spent a lot of time reading and now feel I understand the planking concepts much better. Of course I should have done this before I messed it up but I honestly don't think it would have made as much sense before. I must be a tactile learner. Here's how she looks now. Still not satisfied but on I go.

IMG_0232.JPG

Dwight

As the hull sems to be an ongoing project I decided to move on.  I began work on the inside of the hull.  Painted the top two planks ( this was really hard for me...I'm dyslexic ) but I got it " done ". Installed the flood boards. This was easier than expected . Stern locker and the plaatform supports were next. I probably will paint the inside of the hull while I can get to most of it. More later.  

IMG_0233.JPG

Dwight

I think you interior looks great. I would stain it and put some wipe on poly on it. Once you paint the exterior hull it will look just fine. 

I bought a small steam cleaner on Amazon for $30 that I use for steaming wood.

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Arthur , it's craft paint from Hobby Lobby and you're right , the floor was much harder than expected. Jim , I was thinking the same thing but I've been reading plankingg instructions by Chuck P. and he uses a hair drier without water ! Gonna try this next.

Dwight

Installed the thwarts. Had to fudge a little due to misaligned frames , my fault.I also installed the thwart supports. I tried carving them like the directions show but after wasting about a foot of square stock , gave up and just left them square.

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

Edited by Dwight
wrong photo

Dwight

More progress. Didn't like the instructions for the cap rails so I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a sheet of boxwood and made them as one piece including the brest hook. Also installed the thwart knees, transom knees , windlass , lifting rings , locker hinges , horse and all four cannon mounts. Got the orelocks but they arn't installed yet. Installed the rubrails also.

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

Edited by Dwight

Dwight

Griphos , at mine you can , balsa wood as well.

Jim , havn't the slightest idea

Edited by Dwight

Dwight

Some more progress. Ore locks installed , main mast , boom and gaff done but probably not tapered enough , bow sprint completed and installed. I also fought with the rudder till it was perfect , installed and glued it and VOILA , it's not parallel with the keel. Right now I'm too frustrated to mess with it further , maybe later. 

IMG_0242.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0243.JPG

Dwight

I'm also missing some rings. I'll try to make them outa' wire but I'm not real confident.

Dwight

I'll bet you can make good rings.  Find something hard the right diameter.  A nail, or a piece of rod, or even a wooden dowel.  Then bend the wire around, wrapping tight to each wrap.  When you pull the coils off, you can cut them and twist them closed (and even solder them if you want).  

I understand the frustration (of being a perfectionist 🙂), but that rudder isn't very far off and I'll bet the real boats varied a bit as well.  

Rigging  : something I've never done and something I might never be able to do.

I'm not sure it's the instructions or me but this is HARD. Finished the standing rigging. Had to order some line from Chuck at Syren. Some of the stuff in the kit  wasn't usable but I got it done.I still can't tie a clove hitch but CA makes up for some of my weekneses

IMG_0248.JPG

IMG_0247.JPG

Dwight

Got the boom installed and attached to the horse. Really don't like this rope.

IMG_0250.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

Dwight

Ores done.

IMG_0252.JPG

Dwight

Rigging all finished and cannons , anchor and accessories installed. I've decided not to install the gold decorations. They just look too British and I'm imagining this could be an American longboat.

Finished. Time to clean up the shipyard and get read for the Armed Virginia Sloop.

IMG_0253.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

Dwight

BTW the " background " in the first shot is my model railroad. Space is becoming rare in the workshop.

Dwight

• 2 months later...

Very nice boat build   I am most impressed by how fast you built this boat. Did you ever eat or sleep? I am doing this build as well and will consult your log as I proceed.

BTW, I do N-Gauge model trains. 

Edited by Dr PS

Paul

Cutty Sark, Scientific Models (no build log)

18th Century Armed Longboat, Model Shipways

Civil War Coffee Wagon and Limber, Model Shipways side project

New Bedford Whaleboat, Model Shipways

Civil War Gatling Gun, Model Shipways side project