Arthur Wayne Posted February 15, 2019 Share #1 Posted February 15, 2019 (edited) I've been working on this kit for a little over a month now. I delayed posting a build log until now, I wanted to make enough progress to be certain I wouldn't be creating yet another unfinished build log. I'm in the military and will be changing duty stations later this year so I'm hoping to complete this build before move day arrives. This is my second model ship (I guess this is technically a boat). My first kit was the Artesania Latina Bluenose 2, which I built back in the mid 90's. I got to the 90% finished stage however I used several coats of very glossy polyurethane on the hull and deck and then realized I hated how it looked. I ended up giving it away to a friend. I'll get my build log caught up in a number of posts. First the obligatory box photo of the kit: I read through the manual numerous times to ensure I understood each step of the build. The manual is somewhat lacking and a few extra photos of some critical areas would have been nice. Also there is some vague verbiage which I will cover in later posts. Unfortunately the plans are not to scale, they seem to be a 101-102% enlargement. So far from what I can see, they aren't actually needed for the build but I do find it odd that they aren't scaled to the kit. Aside from these issues, I think this a pretty good quality kit, neatly packed and nothing damaged or missing. After shaping the rabbit and beard line, I installed the bulkheads. I did have to adjust several that sat too high or low so that they would meet the rabbit. I deviated from the kit by omitting the supplied strong back which is glued down the center. I chose to use 1/8 square basswood in segments so as not to pull the bulkheads out of plum. This also prevented all but 1 of the bulkheads from splitting during the build and kept everything plum while it was planked. If I could go back and do this over, I would have drawn a light pencil line connecting the bottom of the bulkhead cutouts on the sides of the false keel, this material is removed after the hull is planked. A pencil line would have made a handy guide when cutting the false keel down. If you build this kit, make sure the joint between each former and the side of false keel is securely glued, when the inside of each bulkhead is removed and the false keel is cutdown the resulting bulkheads are just a butt joint against the false keel. Finally I did cheat and only tack glued the keel to the false keel with gel CA which is easy to break free without splintering the wood. This will allow the planking at the bow to be sanded easily giving a nice tight fit when the keel is glued back on. I faired the bulkheads with 180 grit finishing with 220 grit sanding blocks I made for this build. I also made various length blocks for up to 400 grit sandpaper. Despite my best efforts, bulkhead 4 still ended up sitting a bit too proud (with the hull upside down). There is a small knot in the keel near the stern. Since I originally planned to paint the lower hull it didn't concern me but now I have decided not to paint the lower hull so that knot is going bug me till the end of my days. I also dowel pinned the transom to the keel because it seemed a likely candidate to be knocked off. Since the transom will be painted the dowels will never be seen. It was cheap insurance, the transom stayed put all the way through planking. Edited September 11, 2019 by Arthur Wayne Changed title to note this log is finished ccoyle, maddog33, CDW and 2 others 5 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.