Golden Hind by mfrazier - OcCre - scale 1:85

With 16 more shroud lines to serve, my poor finger was getting tired turning the serving machine, not to mention, I  was getting a blister on the side of my finger.

Soooooo  .... I  chucked my drill on the end of the machine and now I can serve 16 inches of rope in 3 minutes instead of 25 minutes. 😆

20200210_111330.jpg

Nice work on the rigging.

Great carriages for the cannons

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The rigging is tough at this small scale. I am not happy with the rat lines, but is the best I  could do with my tremors. I think I  can live with it though. I read where the rat lines were supposed to be the tan color and the standing rigging ( shrouds) should be black. I think I would have liked the rat lines black also, but I ain't about to do them over. This one side took 3 hours.

20200211_223033.jpg

20200211_223000.jpg

20200211_222944.jpg

20200211_222917.jpg

Very nice work on the shrouds and rats.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

29 minutes ago, mfrazier said:

Thank you. I find the rat lines very difficult to get even and straight or tight

Yes indeed  - its a balancing act between  getting enough tension on the shrouds to begin with, then attaching the rats without them pulling the  individual  shrouds in together  - I tend to do a simple knot at one end first with a dab of superglue  (by a thin piece of wire dipped into the glue then dabbed on the knot)  I then just loop the thread (ratline)  around each shroud  (and dab each with the glue)  then when I get to the end  I just  loop it around again and dab that with glue  leaving the  excess thread  till it has set before cutting it off.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks O.C.  I started out trying to tie the rat lines with the clove hitch, but found it very difficult on the small scale, so I finally started doing what you said, wrap around and a dad of glue. I found it much easier to control everything and at this small scale, I  have a hard time seeing the difference. 

Those are the Yard Arm ropes  to push pull (with/against the wind) there should be on each side attached to the end of the yards, then  with a block  near the yard, and  (what I did with my pearl)  attached  two blocks  hung from the front edge of the  lower  tops, then I ran the ropes through the blocks  down to a point  on the deck either  on the bulwark side hand rails  or  anywhere else convenient.

This is  repeated for  all the Yards.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Looking very very nice.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

It is only 8 degrees F outside and too cold to go out, so I am spending the day working on rigging. The instructions are so vague.  I have to study for quite some time until I finally figure out where the lines go. 

Maybe someone of you can answer a question.  I thought there would only be one line attached to a belaying pin. That is the case with this model except at the base of the main mast. Following the instructions there are four belaying pins but six line going to this location. That means two of the pins have two lines attached.  Is this something that would be done? It isn't really a problem,  just curious. No one in the world I live in would ever notice a mistake on this model.

20200215_122657.jpg

20200215_122553.jpg

20200215_122451.jpg

Looking good  - you got those yard  positioning ropes sorted.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

Looking good  - you got those yard  positioning ropes sorted.

OC.

Yeah, almost. I can't quite figure out the rigging on the lower yard arm on the fore mast. The instructions ( term used very loosely) show the rope going around the center of the rope ( I believe it is the main mast stay?)from the main mast kind of in a "V". Each side of this "V" goes to through a block at the end of the yard arm and down to a belaying pin. I don't understand what is supposed to secure this rope to the other rope without sliding.  It just doesn't make sense.  This photo illustrates what the instructions show. ( sorry it is blurry)

20200215_172611.jpg

They sometimes show them attached to the stays with a block,  but I thought that was incorrect  as the tension on the stay would have to be quite  strong, but I guess  as  the boat tackle comes off the main  stay  with blocks (and thats  to carry a heavy  boat).

So guess its possible.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

They sometimes show them attached to the stays with a block,  but I thought that was incorrect  as the tension on the stay would have to be quite  strong, but I guess  as  the boat tackle comes off the main  stay  with blocks (and thats  to carry a heavy  boat).

So guess its possible.

OC.

That's what I  thought. There should at least be a block on the stay. I think I am going to put one there. Since I have a lot of the rigging done, I  find some of the remaining tie points for some of the lines do not make sense. There are more convenient points, so I am changing a few of them to be more " balanced" looking. I  also am thinking about not putting the sails on. I haven't quite decided yet. I am not crazy about the sails provided. I think I  would prefer the sails rolled up.

I got a new toy today. It is a bead lathe I  bought off ebay for 25 bucks. I'm going to take it to the machine shop and lengthen the bed so it will hold up to 14 inches long. I  will use it for tapering masts and yards as well as turning other wood parts for a ship. To keep the chuck from damaging the wood, I  have some short pieces of brass tubing of various sizes. I split them in half lengthwise  and place the pieces around the end of a dowel where I chuck them. It holds without damage to the wood. I  tried it on a 6 mm diameter dowel and it works excellent. 

I also got a disc sander attachment. Nice little machine for the money.

20200215_213649.jpg

This build is wrapping up soon. I still have to rig the mizzen mast and the bow sprit. I learned a lot on this build and made some mistakes,  but all in all,  it went pretty good. The only real complaints I have  on this kit is the quality of the rigging materials,  meaning  the blocks and rope.  The rope was very "fuzzy"  and the blocks needed a lot of work. I  have chosen not to put the sails on. I don't know if it's the way they were made, but I  put the main sail on and did not like the way it looked.  They seemed too big. When I  redo the rigging,  I  may put sails on rolled up.

20200218_184310.jpg

Edited by mfrazier
Spelling

I believe once this ship is finished,  I  will revisit it later and replace all the rigging with better materials and correct my  mistakes. Most people won't notice the flaws or mistakes , but I do. My mate is anxious to put this ship on display in the living room. I will take a short break as  I'm off to the Cleveland Clinic  heart institute tomorrow ,while I  await my next build which should arrive in a  few weeks. It is the HMS Victory by Billings Boats,  1:75 scale. 

3 minutes ago, mfrazier said:

I believe once this ship is finished,  I  will revisit it later and replace all the rigging with better materials and correct my  mistakes. Most people won't notice the flaws or mistakes , but I do. My mate is anxious to put this ship on display in the living room. I will take a short break as  I'm off to the Cleveland Clinic  heart institute tomorrow ,while I  await my next build which should arrive in a  few weeks. It is the HMS Victory by Billings Boats,  1:75 scale. 

All the best  look after that heart of yours,    I will look forward to your Vic build   certainly a different  build to the Hind,   I would get some of the very good (none fraying)  ropes  I think Syren do some excellent stuff  (Thats what I will do when I build another  wood  ship)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I have read that Syren is the place to get good rope. Once I  get the kit, I  intend to replace all the rope if it is not good quality. I have been researching some other sites that offer quality replacement parts for the Victory. Once I  get the kit, I  will replace anything that I  feel is not as it should be whether I  make it or buy it. I have the means to make most anything. I have been reading and bookmarking several of the other Victory builds on here for tips and ideas. There have been some great ones.

• 2 months later...

Hello and really a very good job.

Sorry for my English...

I'm building this ship. I am now trying to build Mastiles and Baupres, but find no detailed information about how to do it... I also do not understand the rope instructions...

I see in photos a rope joining Baupres and the ship bow, but I do not see it on instructions... I also do not see detailed instructions about the stern "stick". The one under the Lantern... How did you do it?

In the last, the horizontal stick joining the Baupres... I see you didn't build it. Is there any reason why? Cannot see instructions to join them in Occre instructions. Do you know any website where there are more detailed instructions?

Thanks a lot and congratulations!