G`day everybody,

I have to start building my first ever cannon ( I m making the Revenge Kit from Amati) does anyone have any links to video and/or instruction on how to make them?

the actually assembly of the cannon itself seems pretty straightforward my biggest concern is the rigging part (I never rigged anything before so this will be my first attempt ) I need all the possible visual information on how to do the rigging.

if anybody can help me out I will be very grateful.

thank you for your time

Paolo 

Well I'm probably one of the least knowledgeable people here, but as far as I know we don't know very much about the details of how cannon were mounted and rigged this early. As I recall, the Spanish were still mostly using land-type carriages, and they and the English both carried about 9 different types of guns on board so it's at least a complicated question. Maybe someone else who knows more can step up.

7 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

Well I'm probably one of the least knowledgeable people here, but as far as I know we don't know very much about the details of how cannon were mounted and rigged this early. As I recall, the Spanish were still mostly using land-type carriages, and they and the English both carried about 9 different types of guns on board so it's at least a complicated question. Maybe someone else who knows more can step up.

thank you vossiewulf, 

I had found few pictures of the cannon and how they have been rigged, so many different ways, probably due to my inexperience I should take the easiest way and start studying how to actually perform the rigging (kinds of knots, wrapping and coil  and how to make them).

any resources on this topic are also welcome 🙂

I know I choose a difficult kit for a beginner, I challenging my self hardly and perhaps I should have taken a more humble model. I m not giving up tough and I love this site full of people of knowledge and very keen to help.

thank you for time

When in doubt, do what a lot of do... use the search function to find other builds of the same kit.   Often different builders will have different ways of doing the same thing depending on their skills and experience.   It saves a lot of head scratching and missteps.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Also, guns worked the same then as during the 18th century, and that means the gun crew had to be able to move the gun into and out of battery for firing and loading, they had to be able to control the azimuth and elevation of the gun, and they had to stop it from recoiling through the other side of the boat when fired. If you provide logical means to do those things for each gun, not even a museum could tell you that you're doing it wrong.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

When I was building my battle station I found these pictures by fellow MSW member robdurant to be a great resource. Also Harold Hahn has some great resources out there for gun and carriage construction. Like Mark said a quick search should turn up a wealth of info.

Best regards

Edited by Osmosis

21 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

Also, guns worked the same then as during the 18th century, and that means the gun crew had to be able to move the gun into and out of battery for firing and loading, they had to be able to control the azimuth and elevation of the gun, and they had to stop it from recoiling through the other side of the boat when fired. If you provide logical means to do those things for each gun, not even a museum could tell you that you're doing it wrong.

As vossiewulf said; If you provide a Logical Means to do those things, the rigging and tools to go with it, you cannot go very far wrong.

DIRECT FROM CEARCLICK 054.2.jpg

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, olopa67 said:

thanks Clark, 

no i dont access to the book and i m not very familiar with german, just english and italian 😁

Yes you do, it's sold as Historic Ship Models by zu Mondfeld in its English version. Check Amazon, it's a very useful resource.