Medway Longboat 1742 by rafine - FINISHED -1:24 Scale

I have chosen the Medway longboat as one of two projects that I am going to start now. The other is the brigantine Lexington, a semi-scratch build based on plans by Clayton Feldman and a mini-kit from The Lumberyard. It is my current intention to begin the longboat now, but suspend work when I get the Lexington project started (Chuck's delivery time is considerably shorter than The Lumberyard).

I will then take the longboat to New Jersey, where we will be spending a portion of the summer, and possibly early fall, and hopefully complete it there.

So far, I have completed the keel assembly and transom, and am starting on the frames. I'm embarrassed to have to admit that I butchered one of the overlap joints on the keel and have to use the simplified joint version. Not a good start.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_907.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_905.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_906.jpeg

Thats a good start Bob.....It will be nice to have you in NJ over the summer.  Be sure to contact me so we can get together and you can come to our local meetings and my workshop sessions.   

a soon to be double header?!?!?!  I'm in  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Bob, Off to a good start. Even though she's not a large complex model she will test us.

Hopefully you'll get to stop by Chuck's on a Saturday work shop day. It's a lot of fun.

Keep me posted if you do and I'll try to pop down and see you there. 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks so much guys for the comments and the "likes". You're too kind, given my inability to perform a relatively simple task.

We're staying at my daughter's place in Short Hills. Our present plan is to be there for all of August and some part of September. Chuck, I would love to come to a meeting and/or a workshop, if any will take place while I'm there. Rusty, it would be great if we could meet there.

Bob

Moving along. I've assembled and fitted all of the frames, and glued the keel in place. As others have noted, the cutting of the parts and the ease of fit is remarkable. A light touch of sandpaper here and there was all that was necessary to ensure perfect fit and alignment. I'm now beginning the fairing process, which may take a little longer, because of the delicate parts and structure.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_908.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_909.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_90a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_90b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_90e.jpeg

• 3 months later...

It's been almost 4 months since I last posted. For the first time in over 50 years of modeling, I suffered total "burnout".  I just didn't even want to look at this model (or any other). Within the last week, I finally decided to give it another go, and proceeded to finish up the hull planking, where I had left off months ago. While I'm not particularly happy with the result, it does feel good to be back at it.  I've removed the baseboard and am now in the process of removing the frame centers.

Hopefully, I am past any thought of abandoning this project (to be clear, the issues were entirely mine, and in no way a reflection on the fine quality of this kit), and back on track.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_928.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_92c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_926.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_922.jpeg

beautiful work Bob !!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Bob,

Glad to see you back at it. Nice work. She's more fun than a lot of kits too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

It is nice to see you back to work on your Longboat.  Your past builds have been an inspiration to many of us, so you deserve taking a break from ship modeling.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

As usual the result is superb. Great work Bob and a nice step accomplished !

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Bob, Nice to see you found your way back. I think it must be the South Florida weather or something because I too have been in a real slump as far as modeling goes. Perhaps I can take some inspiration from you and get back to it.

Best Regards

Art

Hi there, Bob.  It's good to see you back at it.  I for one have missed your updates and the chance to see a true craftsman at work.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

have to admit it Bob........but I've had a few spells like that myself.    when I started out with the wood kits,  I was a kid in a candy store........but I think it took it's toll.   then I began to follow my impulses........ now that I have a chance to think about it,  might have been a bad idea too ;)   so now I have to repent......and hope that retirement will bail me out.  all told.........I'm still happy to be in the place I am at this time  :)  :D   it's not a bad thing......it gave you the chance to build back up your 'ldea well', and recharge you bearings.  I'm also glad your back.........dazzle me some more with that beautiful work you do  ;) 

your planking looks awesome!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

I've now faired the interior, added the bow bolsters, cap rail, friezes and moldings. With the completion of this work, I will be putting this away until we go to New Jersey for the month of August and part of September, where  work will resume while there. In the meanwhile, I will be starting on Lexington, for which I will start a build log shortly.

Bobfullsizeoutput_930.thumb.jpeg.32e088f2df3048e90b9a1693a418a9ef.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_934.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_936.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_937.jpeg

IMG_0310.JPG

fullsizeoutput_93d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_93f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_941.jpeg

She looking really nice Bob! Enjoy your trip too!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Just seen this,    so good to see you back on here bob,    fully understand how you felt,    our family here is a great medicine and  helps us all,    your build is looking really really nice,   have a great holiday see you soon back on here.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 1 month later...

Now in New Jersey and back to work on the longboat. I've done the floorboards, the platforms and the risers. All pretty straightforward.

Next, on to the thwarts and the cockpit seats.

Bob

IMG_0336.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG