Medway Longboat 1742 by rafine - FINISHED -1:24 Scale

My time in New Jersey is growing short and there is much to be done on the longboat. I've now added and painted the cockpit seats and transom knees, and made up,notched and added the thwarts, including the hardware on the thwart supporting the mast, and the thwart knees.

Now it's time to face up to doing the windlass.

Bob

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0342.JPG

A beautiful boat Bob,

it looks very nice and well built !!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I've now completed the hull portion of the longboat. This included making and adding the windlass, making and adding the block on the stem and the roller on the stem, and making up and adding the rudder and tiller assembly. The last thing was to make and add the thole pins.

I've started to make the mast and spars, which I hope to complete before I leave for home.

Bob

IMG_0344.JPG

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

Wow Bob,

good looking longboat  :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

It's no surprise that you're doing a wonderful job!

Can't wait to see you finish and start the Winnie!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Wonderful work so far on this one Bob.

I hope you are still in NewJjersey till this storm decides what it is going to do. Is anyone looking in on your house while you are away? I don't know if there is anything I could do but if you need me to just shoot me an email.

Best regards

Thanks so much Art for both your comment and your concern. We will be staying in New Jersey until the storm situation is over. We have someone taking care of the house ( closing storm shutters etc.) and I wish the best to all of you in the area in a scary situation.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

We're back in Florida, and the longboat remains in New Jersey. Before leaving, I was able to make the mast, boom and gaff, which were all made from the square stock in the masting and rigging kit. I also made the horse at the stern from wire and mounted it. I was able to mount the mast, make eyebolts and hooks from wire and make the belaying pins. We are planning to be back in New Jersey for Thanksgiving and hopefully I will get a lot of the rigging done at that time. I will do the stropping of blocks and deadeyes here in preparation for that.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_96c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_96d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_96b.jpeg

It took me a while to find your new build logs, Bob 😉. What a beautiful longboat! . . . and already pretty much finished! Your combination of craftsmanship, highest quality modeling and building speed never stops to impress me!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

• 2 months later...

As anticipated, we returned to New Jersey for Thanksgiving. While there, I got a great deal of the rigging done. I probably would have finished, but for discovering that I was 1 deadeye short (probably lost in transport between Jersey and Florida at some point). That means that completion will have to wait for our next trip north, which isn't likely to be until late spring or even summer. In the meantime, I also have to get 1 deadeye. 

In any event, the attached photos show the model in it's almost completed state, lacking 1 shroud, final tying off of some lines and rope coils.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_991.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_990.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_98f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_98e.jpeg

Beautiful work as always Bob. What else have you been working on? I have not been around much lately so I have been out of the loop as they say. 

Lovely job Bob. Shame about the missing deadeye - that must have been quite frustrating for you!

Thanks so much Nunnehi, Geoff, Art, Jeff, Grant and Dave for the nice comments, and thanks also to the "likes".

Grant, worse than the feeling of frustration was the feeling of utter stupidity.

Art, I've been working on Chuck's Winchelsea.

Bob