KORTES

La Jacinthe by Kortes -1:42 scale - French schooner

Treenails of the deck.

Unfortunately, I didn’t master the make using the syringe needle, after a few failed  tries I gave it up… I haven’t had enough patience. I decided to sharpen on the grinder. After some try-outs I opted for the pear tree instead of the toothpicks. D=0,6 mm.

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0351.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0334.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0338.JPG

Looks good. Will you put a long handle on the mini-drill? My first 'serious' model was a 64 gun ship, fully planked at 1:48 scale. All the treenail holes were drilled by hand using a pin vise. I'd never do that again!

My greetings, dear Dave.

Before the beginning of the building I realised the necessity of such instrument.Unfortunately, to my point of view, the PROXXON instruments are unreasonably expensive . That is why I have found in the internet photo of such instrument and asked my brother, who works with metal, to make me one. As a result I have two machines in one and it was a lot cheaper. 

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0182.JPG

On 2/27/2019 at 9:11 AM, KORTES said:

I finished my work on the 23 of September 2016. I had a photo report of the work, I decided to post it, maybe it could useful to someone.

My best regards, Alexander.

Michael, quote is from the first post of this build log. The man's work is phenomenal :imNotWorthy: but if he was that quick I would swear he had help from a host of wood fairies!

Thank you very much my dear colleagues.

Dear Michael.
I have a pause in building "SPERWER" - I'm making sails. That's why I decided to show on the forum my last finished work Unfortunately I don't belong to the masters who work quickly. Once, I have apent two weeks of my vacation to make nailing.

Basically I’ve finished nailing.

I finally got around to overhang. It is painted, taffrail is covered with pear tree and black hornbeam. I made it with a small margin, when the enclosures are set I will finish the taffrail.

IMG_0230.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0433.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG

On 3/7/2019 at 4:46 AM, KORTES said:
Dear Michael.
I have a pause in building "SPERWER" - I'm making sails. That's why I decided to show on the forum my last finished work Unfortunately I don't belong to the masters who work quickly. Once, I have apent two weeks of my vacation to make nailing.

Kortes, thank you for clarifying, this log for me I am a bit short on grasping things sometimes, and missed the information in the earlier post.

On 3/6/2019 at 1:37 AM, Keith Black said:

Michael, quote is from the first post of this build log. The man's work is phenomenal :imNotWorthy: but if he was that quick I would swear he had help from a host of wood fairies!

Keith It is good to know that someone was paying attention to the fine print and not just drooling over the pictures 😉

Thank you Kortes for taking the time to put this build log together after the fact. There is a certain benefit to being able to follow along at a measured pace.

Michael

I would like to present my attempts in making cap rail taffrail.

I waited a long time to approach it, finding the right technology, finally setting for the plank bending  with further refining.

To start, I had to prepare a pattern, and as I had to bend the lath with a big margin(the original size 1,5:22 mm), I had to make reinforced fixators.   

I have made two samples, refining them while adjusting them in place.

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG