La Jacinthe by Kortes - FINISHED - 1:42 scale - French schooner

Installing jackstay.

I had lots of questions regarding the fastening. I’ve studied the works of the Masters who had built “La Jacinthe”, everyone made the knot his own way. I decided to make it with the possibility of covering.

IMG_1071.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

Edited by KORTES

7 hours ago, KORTES said:

IMG_1121.JPG

This is incredible. It is exactly like being on a real boat. How do you make it so perfect ? The patina, the color of the woods, all the details are there.

I hope your models end up in Museums where generations of people can enjoy watching them.

Yves

Amazing - your work continues to excel.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Interesting method of seizing in the deadeyes to the shrouds! Doing this in place makes good sense. Lovely work as usual, Kortes.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I'm following along quietly and just loving the way the rigging is being done.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

After a very constructive critics regarding the direction of the winding, I spent 2 days on the making new ropes with the right winding. Alexander (Beliy) has explained really well the difference and the reasons for the established tradition, I quote:

The rope of cabling winding is inweaved out of 3 ordinary ropes, and if those ropes are laid in a clockwise direction, than the rope of cabling can be made ONLY counter clock wise.

The standard of winding was created for a reason, the ropes of two windings cannot be laced together, because they will unwind each other, and the the ropes winded counter clock wise dont hold the knots. That is the reason the running rigging is clock wise, and vangs, jackstays, anchor cable - counter clock wise.

While I was winding the anchoring cable I clearly verified this rule - if winding is made in the wrong direction the component ropes will simply unwind.

Edited by KORTES

Much to my regret I had to redo all the rigging, which was already installed, except for jackstay of foremast , which, as it turned out ,had the right  winding on. I put a bit of tone on the turnbuckles of the shrouds, although to my point of view they looked better before. I won’t post many photos, as nothing had changed except for the winding on of the cable.

IMG_1127 (1).JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

Edited by KORTES

What a difficult decision to make, but it would have troubled you every time you looked at the rigging.  I take my hat off to you for correcting what few people would have noticed.  This is just one of the many reasons why your model is so wonderful and you as a modeler are so excellent.  Well done Alexander.

Gary 

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

On 5/23/2019 at 4:55 PM, FriedClams said:

What a difficult decision to make, but it would have troubled you every time you looked at the rigging.  I take my hat off to you for correcting what few people would have noticed.  This is just one of the many reasons why your model is so wonderful and you as a modeler are so excellent.  Well done Alexander.

Gary 

Thank you very much, Gary,

Yes, You are right, its sometimes hard to decide to do such remakings. But, I guess at that time I was in this kind of mood so I decided to remake. But at the end, You are right, remakings are hardly noticable to an unaided eye, and for many remains incomprehensible. Can be noticed and evaluated only by  our colleagues - model makers.
My best regards.

Kortes

The only negative comment that I can direct at this build is that it is almost too perfect. I'm sure some idiot would have walked the deck in hob nailed boots but I cant see any signs of it??????

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Beautiful work kortes, that planking from behind looks fantastic

Regards

Paul 

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

Well Kortes, your work is quite a step above what most of us here can produce and it can make a lot of us feel somewhat inadequate.  On the other hand, work such as yours can only inspire us to try to do better. 

I feel you about your desire to remake portions of your project that you are unhappy with as I find myself doing the same thing with my Phantom.  I have remade some of the ships deck houses several times, until I was happy with the results.  While there exists the popular notion with some people to “just get er done” as they say, I don’t subscribe to that school of thought at all.  As I often said at work, “Why does it seem that there is never enough time to get it done right, but always time to do it over?”

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Looking great, Kortes.    I have  a question though... the line that I have circled in red below.  I think that would stop the rudder from turning.

IMG_1165.thumb.JPG.7d64fe3f891a5df283572c5bd2a3dab3.jpg.b7a011efba4fa8b1c6d528c9751ddc31.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)