La Jacinthe by Kortes - FINISHED - 1:42 scale - French schooner

What happened?

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

17 hours ago, KORTES said:

Its good that I have made the topmast dismountable, just like on a real schooner. I haven't had any problems with the dismantlement.

The knot has been disassembled.

That was a very good thing on making and mounting the mast.  I hope the repairs go well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 7/7/2019 at 1:58 PM, KORTES said:

When I was working on the La Jacinthe, I was following the principle - all that I could make  myself, was made by myself.

As was shown by your ingenuity at making an ordinary clothes pin into a custom clamp to hold your blocks!  Reminds me of my grandfather who, due to necessity during the depression, had to make many of his own tools for his woodworking projects. :cheers:

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

On 10.07.2019 at 08:45, amateur said:

Not a very nice thing to see....

It looks as if the glue failed between two parts. Hope your replacement will be a bit stronger.

Jan

There was a small rounded cut in this palce, so that when painting the line dividing the colors was clearly difined.

Edited by KORTES

After consideration, I decided to glue using PVA glue. For several reasons - cyanoacrylate glue, even gel, binds very fastly, and I was afraid that the pin will be fastened sooner than it enters fully, on its full depth. The second reason is that once the cyanoacrylate glue is binded is gets very fragile and the junction may crack even at a slight bend. PVA glue is more flexible even after drying, and if there are few gashes on the pin it will hold tightly and more so as the binding time is long enough it allows to put the piece right in place. There’s only one thing bothering me - how much time does it take to bind inside the wood? Perhaps it would be better if i heat up the place where the pin is set?

My best regards.

IMG_2133.JPG

very elegant repair

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

Beautiful recovery, Kortes. Looks great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful work. What kind of wood do you use for the blocks?

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

While working on the installation of riggings, I made the flag and pennant.

Taking my wife’s advice I bought a rayon of three different colors, instead of using the dye, luckily it’s not the British flag, so I glued the rayons together, just like the sails.

I made it in two variations.

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2137.JPG

IMG_2139.JPG

IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_2182.JPG

Edited by KORTES

Beautiful

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48