irishrover1970

Good online store for wood.

I want to replace the wood on this Viking ship by Amati. Can anyone tell me a good place to order these  supplies /wood in the US? I live in  Southwest Florida if that matters thanks.

There are two wood suppliers who sponsor this forum.  Crown Timber Yard and Syren.  Both have very good quality woods.  Syren is not primarily a wood supplier but the wood Chuck has is excellent.

Kurt

A digital micrometer to measure the thickness would help with your selections and if you enter the dark side (scratch) will be a necessary tool.

WoodCraft has Basswood, Hard Maple, and Black Cherry in thin stock as well as a variety of veneer choices.

An alternate, since the stock is so thin, use paper (cardboard) instead.   The wood pattern can be painted - probably lots of on-line how to sites.

Or you can find an appropriate wood texture on a 3D CG site and use your printer to turn the paper into "wood".

If you search the site for the discussions on knife blades - Xacto vs surgical vs a real violin makers knife - the stock is so thin cutting rather than sawing appears to be what would be the way to free the planks from the board stock.

2 hours ago, Jaager said:

the discussions on knife blades - Xacto vs surgical vs a real violin makers knife

The correct answer is real knife, but not necessarily a violin maker's knife. You're welcome :)

//but you should keep around an Xacto for cleaning out dried glue and cutting sandpaper and the like

Yes.  Scroll down the home page here and click on their banner sponsor ads - they go right to their web sites.   Both are East coast.

Kurt

7 minutes ago, irishrover1970 said:

Oh. I did not know that. Are Crown Timber Yard and Syren in the US? Sorry, I’m sure these new guy questions get old ☹️.

Bart...

I know Syren is a US company and I think Crown Timber Yard is as well. 

Russ

Good deal! Thank you Russ. But I recall reading one of these posts here that said Crown left them hanging. Someone had ordered something and the site shut down. They wrote and called and no one got back to them for a long time. I  Believe it was all sorted out in the end  but that dose not make me want to trust them. Sorry but they have  competitors with impeccable ratings  And great  customer service that I would  rather take my chances with  After reading such things.

Jason @ Crown Timberyard is back online. It takes typically 20 business days for him to deliver though, so you have to order a month out. I just received an order for square Castello boxwood stock to make masts and yards.

Jason, the owner of Crown did have a shutdown due to a family emergency.   It took some time to sort out but he's back and shipping wood.  I've used both Crown and Syren and heartily recommend them.