A wonderful resource:

The newer Danish archive web site (arkivalieronline) presents many hundreds, if not thousands, of images of plans. Although most are of Danish vessels, there are also English and French ships of all sizes represented. The web address is:

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider

There are many draughts of ships of all rates, as well as harbour craft, open boats, galleys, fittings, ordnance, charts and dockyards, with their machinery and buildings. There are beautiful design drawings of  many ships' decorative head and stern carved works. Amongst the collection are also such draughts as Victory of 1765 (B18/1) and Bellona (F45/37). One intriguing plan is labelled "Draughts of gunboats building at Navy Yard Washington April 1808" (C360/1). There are scantlings for a 24 gun frigate (F1/15) and the launching ways for Queen, 74 guns of 1765. These are just a few of the examples of items to be discovered on the site.

The collection ranges in date from about 1690 to 1860, but the bulk of the material is 18th century. The only drawback to the site - apart from the fact it can be addictive! - is that the sequence of plans is completely random and only browsable. However, the range of new subjects for model-makers is almost limitless.

For those who might be curious, where in the archival collection are those plans? Once you click on the link provided, where do you go from there? 

Russ

This helps:

http://www.orlogsbasen.dk/vistegn2.asp

http://www.orlogsbasen.dk/Skibdk.htm

http://www.orlogsbasen.dk/smart.htm

The last link is a search page that allows sorting by country, type etc (speaking Danish helps but ...) It is a good start. It takes you to a list compiled from the contents of the first page. There is more, I have notes on many of the English ships pointing to plans that are not linked to this page. All this will make sense once you have visited the pages.

I have never found an index or search function on the main site that gives the alpha-numeric key to the plans. Perhaps a Danish member can walk us through the process?

HTH

Bruce

Hello Bava, have you found a way to search within the register? The register pages include the Plan refs (such as G 122 etc.) but I would appreciate any advice on how to search.

Great site, isn't it?

Bruce

Within the register?  Hm, depends on what you want. If you have a certain ship in mind, you can try the alphabetical ship names register (Skibsregister, alfabetisk efter skibsnavn (1690 - 1848)):

https://www.sa.dk/ao-soegesider/da/other/other-collection/40

Also works with the constructor´s name (Register over skibe uden konstruktørnavn (1690 - 1848) )

If you want to search by ship type, then use the link I posted above.

Fascinating.

Thanks Druxey for starting this thread - other MSWers for posting various links to get into this substantial archive.

Out of curiosity I went to the "end" of the scrolling inventory at the principal link and discovered that there are numerous architectural as well as civil engineering plans. Interestingly, there are numerous drawings for constructing canals and locks with detailed closeups on mechanisms. Per the period, most of these drawings are superbly executed illustrations. The Dutch weren't the only ones having to deal with water incursion and inland navigation!

If there is a member who speaks Danish and would post a few translations to help facilitate browsing, that would be great! As Druxey said, it seems to be only a "browsable" site. However, opening a file on a large monitor (27" ) one can take a pretty decent sized screenshot (only 72dpi).

So many beautiful ships...so little time.

Ron

Ron, sorry if I am stating the obvious, but you should be able to save a decent resolution copy of all the digital images in the site. I believe it is the 'Gem billede' button top right of the image and then 'save as' on your PC.

HTH

Bruce

Posted (edited)

Untitled.png.338959340dc385c8318f8cd47db8de37.png

As Bruce already said, you can use the little disk symbol (red circle) in the upper right corner. It then opens a new page (data.ashx tab in the pic above) with the plan. Then enlarge the plan with a left click and right click, 'save image as...' :)

Edited by malachy

Good Evening Gentlemen;

Thank you Druxey, and all the others who have made such helpful posts above. This is a fascinating archive. Many of the Danish draughts are tinted in colour, and there are so many sail plans! 

I have been looking on the website, and have found that a fair few draughts of English ships are referenced with numbers D 2400 upwards. Trouble is, the listing on the website under category D does not extend beyond D1128. So many draughts are invisible.

Can anyone explain how to find them, or why they are not currently visible.

All the best,

Mark P

There are also many in C and F, Mark. I spent many days going through the whole site! If there is a specific plan you are looking for, PM me.