IL Leudo by SHIPSCAT (Jolene) - Mamoli - scale 1:34

You're going to make a bunch of us followers smile with that post. :)  Looks good from here.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Jo... Good work!!! Coming along nicely!!!

Best

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

1 hour ago, Ulises Victoria said:

Hello Jo... Good work!!! Coming along nicely!!!

Best

Hello Ulises

I am trying to do my best 😥.

Glued all the top planks on today, will start the lower one tomorrow.

Jo.

Current Build:

IL Leudo - Mamoli - 1:34

FD10 Arnanes 701 Billings scale 1:50

"Good conversations are the ones you have with people you do not know"

Looking good. Don't worry about the "dirty marks" - they can be sanded off, and as you gain more experience there'll be fewer of them. 

Keep up the good work. Looks like you're enjoying yourself - which is what it's all about.

Steven

Hi Jo,

Very nice work...

Can I say something at the beginning of the build?

"Maybe it is an optical illusion".

The curved line on the frames is seen good at the middle and the bottom on the frames, but on the section near the top of the second frame it can be a small gap.

Me, I had been wrong when I had thought that the kit provided frames are always in good shape, then learned the truth from the MSW Logs...

1209207887_ILLEUDO20_0007.jpg.e60c556182e94978ad9ecf047a80b979.jpg

1622730810_ILLEUDO21_0008.jpg.11ecd3ea9fa7801ecb1a863afc19c53a.jpg

Edited by Ferit KUTLU

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

12 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

Mark was referring to this. No it's not bad :)

Hi Vossiewulf

I was only joking with Mark, he is a nice man like you all are.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello Ferit

Thank you for your comment it is much appreciated.

Re your first photo, the frames are curved; you have to follow the curvature of the frame and put a mark so you can glue the bottom edge of the 2x2 walnut wooden strip to, your arrow is pointing to my wrong mark I put in to the frame.

The second photo, yes I have a gap, in fact I have more than one now 😫, I have to work with the tools I have got as I am new to building wooden ships and this is my first one.

This is the first planking of the hull, I have to fill and sand down then second plank the hull.

I will take your comments on board and learn from my mistakes, that I no doubt there will be lots more ☺️.

Jo.

1295574795_ILLeudoArrow.JPG.3c7ec889a85ddc57202a8c90b007d3f8.JPG

Current Build:

Hello again shipmates.

I have now finished the upper planking, this will be filled and sanded down when the lower planking has been glued in place.

I am so excited in building this little IL Leudo, it's looking like a ship now.

Can I blow my own trumpet, well I am going to anyway, I think she is looking shipshape (sorry about the pun).

Jo.

973703153_ILLEUDO22_0002.thumb.jpg.a1c5dc32cd7cf3330542261170ba8a38.jpg1106344901_ILLEUDO22_0008.thumb.jpg.34eb9de2f2c4d0aa27e96a6ce0eaa88c.jpg2053655656_ILLEUDO22_0010.thumb.jpg.2b88b2c94c8b27410324f81ff8efff91.jpg

Current Build:

you are entering the phase of serious planking........ i like to plank my ships or boats, one time like they are orignally built , then stain or paint the hull.                before you start planking, look over this  http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/Framing_and_Planking/plankingprojectbeginners.pdf                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        to edge bend  and  twist bend planks real easy go here    www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/resources/ChapterchapFour.pdf                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  TOM G  Cleveland, Ohio U.S.A.  

Nice work, Jo.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

Nice work, Jo.

Hello Mark.

Thank you, but you have not seen the mess I have just made of the two lower planks 😥 😫.

I will get over it the best I can.

Jo.

Current Build:

You will find that the planks will look a bit rough at first as they are being laid down. This is ok; you'll probably have a sanding and filler pass to come yet and this will erase a great many sins.

That being said, it looks good so far-- planking is an enjoyable process, and you're doing great!

Under Construction

HMAV  Bounty, Artesania Latina, 1/48 Scale

Completed

18th Century Long Boat, Model Shipways, 1/48 Scale

Drift boat, scratch build, c. 1/12 Scale

Bluenose, Model Shipways, 1/64 Scale

Don't feel bad, Jo.   I completely trashed my first version of Licorne and I was well into the build at the time.   It's all part of the learning curve.  Post some pictures so we can see what's happening.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hello all

Thank you all for your advice, but sorry no photos yet, I will think about it first, I feel sooooooooooooo BAD about it all I just wish to dig a hole and fall into it.

Jo .

Current Build:

1751703018_mp550x550mattefffffft.3.jpg.90b6e3f3f435796b0e8b8cf8bf527376.jpg

Rule 1: DON'T PANIC. (Bonus points for getting the reference :-) )

Rule 2: Everything can be fixed. 

I've specifically brought a (cheap pre-built) kit which need's re decking and re planking just to get the experience of this before I build my Bounty.

Rule 3: So what, It's all a learning experience. 

When you actually accept the above rules, it all gets much easier. The instructions for these kits are vague to say the least. They all expect that you've built them before you build this one. They require many years experience, based on trial and error for people who do not have this experience.

That's the reason so many people give up.

You have a great group around you to help and give their years of experience to help you learn and (NZ quote here) "Knock the bastard off" (Extra points there :-) )

Don't give up, just enjoy the build, enjoy the mistakes, enjoy the learning.

Edited by johnothanswift

The great thing about wood is that there are very few sins that cannot be fixed with sufficient sanding, glue and putty. And then hidden with a couple of coats of paint!

Under Construction

Completed

19 hours ago, Tector said:

The great thing about wood is that there are very few sins that cannot be fixed with sufficient sanding, glue and putty. And then hidden with a couple of coats of paint!

Hello Tector

Yes lots of putty (bog) is the answer as you will see below.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello shipmates

Well you all asked me for some photos of my mistakes well I am now going to shame myself 😫.

Sorry about the dirty glue marks.

So when you have all piked yourselves off the floor, as I know you are all just killing yourselves with laughter can you tell me HOW BAD is it.

Jo.

554557317_ILLEUDO24_0002.thumb.jpg.81d8b9d8086f222791c643022def6837.jpg1438873534_ILLEUDO24_0003.thumb.jpg.13c4417834a89e2389c119e6f4c725f7.jpg474964699_ILLEUDO24_0004.thumb.jpg.7f095d8ff235470a0ad5ba018a95ee7d.jpg

Current Build:

It's not bad. Everyone in this thread has been where you are at one point or another (the garboard strakes on my first build were an absolute horror show)-- gaps can be filled with putty or even stealers/slivers of wood and then smoothed out with a bit of sanding. The important thing is to allow yourself to make mistakes because they're going to be the best teachers you'll get.

And if you can do that, you'll be able to look back on this model and appreciate its flaws because they made the next build better.

Edited by Tector

Under Construction

Completed

3 hours ago, Tector said:

allow yourself to make mistakes

Hello Tector

Thank you, I will make more mistakes, but I am not going to give up on this ship build that's for sure.

Jo.

Current Build:

Yes, not  problem, and certainly not irretrievable. As I understand it, this is the first layer of planking, so after a bit of bog and sanding, you get a second go at it, and can make it better in light of your experience first time through. I stuffed up (in my own opinion) on my dromon planking and it didn't have a second layer so I was stuck with it. But in the long run it wasn't as bad as all that and I was able to accept it and move on, and determined to do better on the next build.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

3 hours ago, SHIPSCAT said:

Hello Tector

Thank you, I will make more mistakes, but I am not going to give up on this ship build that's for sure.

Jo.

That's the spirit, Jo. I'm proud of you! 

Keep going!!!! You will never get better if you don't make and learn from your mistakes!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

That last photo is the key one.  Looks pretty darn good.  In some ways, making a model ship is like making sausage... a mess but the end result is what counts.  You've done well.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: