SHIPSCAT

IL Leudo by SHIPSCAT (Jolene) - Mamoli - scale 1:34

Hi All

I have had a bit of a change; I decided to have a wee go at the barrels, so I have put a coat of sanding sealer on them.

I then thought that the hoops should be painted black, so I got some 2mm tape and had a go at taping round the hoops so I could paint them, I thought I was being clever till I removed the tape, the paint had gone under the tape, so I am not a happy Jo today as it took me hours to do the taping.

Now I have 7 more to paint.

Happy days.

555444299_ILLEUDO53_0004.thumb.jpg.803c97811d97e045423f2cd3f64bbdee.jpg1067954604_ILLEUDO53_0006.thumb.jpg.fb17da4d45f034dc32c0a7e9625ed36f.jpg636627150_ILLEUDO53_0007.thumb.jpg.86ab360172ba691f8929e440dfff7a6d.jpg1169565985_ILLEUDO53_0009.thumb.jpg.72c0ebe7d91477c1951bf6bf51c0f51c.jpgJo.

Try masking the wood, than paint the hoops, remove the tape and laquer the barrels without tape

Edited by cog

12 hours ago, cog said:

Try masking the wood, than paint the hoops, remove the tape and laquer the barrels without tape

Hello Carl

That is what I did as you can see in the photos.

I am going to varnish them today.

Happy days.

Jo.

Hello all

I tried the small sanding stick but I was taking the black paint off the hoops, I did my best.

I have given them a coat of gloss varnish and they do look a wee bit better, still not as good as I would like though.

Now I have to cut the stairs down so I can glue it inplace.

84313366_ILLEUDO54_0003.thumb.jpg.dd98e246cd5ee5f649e734d989032189.jpg682461959_ILLEUDO54_0004.thumb.jpg.e9a05870b729b5365b1648af995990a2.jpg323148239_ILLEUDO54_0006.thumb.jpg.a2dcbb4b812bdb6d436bc0e56fa7d67b.jpg1505844099_ILLEUDO54_0011.thumb.jpg.b0ed385fb4520eb9e670c1c930231045.jpg

Happy days.

Jolene.

Looking great Jo, your doing an excellent job there.

For sanding like that on the barrels I usually 'borrow' a cheap disposable nail file, preferable slightly used and they have a good straight edge and a bit of flex.

If I'm quick enough it isn't noticed... 😇

I'd agree with giving the barrels a coat of matte, but that's only my opinion.

Keep up the great work 😊 

Jo,

Your progress is looking great! Barrels dont look bad at all, as Ulyses said, some fine sand paper or a fine nylon scrubby pad. will knock that shine right down. If you go the scrubby pad route dont use the kind you clean pots and pans with, go to an autobody finish suppler. 3m makes some, I think the light grey is the finest, check first though.

Sam

Hello all

Thank you Steven and Popeye for them kind words.

Although I did like the gloss finish on the barrels in the end I had to take the suggestions you all made to finish them in matt varnish.

Again thank you all for your ongoing advice and the likes, you all are so kind and helpful.

Jo.

Jo,

Get a copy of Wolfram zu Mondfeld's Historic Ship Models.  It's well illustrated and pretty detailed.  There are some errors but mostly its a good, basic book on period ships and nomenclature.   Used copies are usually pretty inexpensive.

Posted (edited)

Jo, you're not dumb at all. Heck, I just figured out the difference between a yard and a yard arm!! The Yard is the whole thing, the Yard Arm is the part that extends past the cleats! (I think...)!! All along I thought they were the same. Its a learning curve and you learn by doing and asking questions.

You are doing fine, relax and enjoy the ride.

Sam

Edited by src

We are all ignorant of almost everything there is to know - we were born that way. To me "stupid" is the inability to learn, and "dumb" is the refusal to learn. Your are learning so you are neither.

I have been building ship models for decades, and I was in the Navy. Even so, I still have problems with a lot of the older terminology - but I am learning!

Posted (edited)

Jo,

I have been watching your build for some time now.  I have given you some ‘likes’ along the way, but I think it is time to make a comment.  I think you are a true asset to this forum. You are a very playful kitty cat and we both share a common sense of humor that leans to the dark side.

I think that some of the guys have praised your work, expecting to say good job when in fact it is not, however, I do not think you truly realize how good your work is. It is fantastic! You should be very proud of yourself.

Most modelers early works are destine to be dusty in the back corner of the display case. I think this build will be center stage for some time to come.

Shane

Edited by SigEp Ziggy
add bold to 'however'

Hellooooooooo SigEp Ziggy

Thank you kind Sir for the wonderful comment above.

I have to admit that when I read the part that said "expecting to say good job when it is not" I felt like clawing your eyes out then I realized I could not as the VET has sanded all my claws down (just joking) ha-ha 😻.

I am doing my best with my little build, but I have to say it is a lot fun with or without my claws ha-ha.

It is too early to be proud of anything yet, we will see when it is finished.

I do know that it will never be put in a corner of any room to gather dust.

Again thank you dear Sir for your kind words, you made my day.

Jo.