IL Leudo by SHIPSCAT (Jolene) - Mamoli - scale 1:34

What Peter said... no such thing as dumb question around here.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

8 hours ago, SHIPSCAT said:

Looks like the best thing to do is have a good read then read again and again and again.

It doesn't matter how many parts there are, assembling or mounting or whatever for each one of those parts is relatively straightforward.

In this case the only parts that matter to you now are the bulkheads and the keel plate. They fit together with slots. Your first task is to assemble those bulkheads onto the keel plate and glue them so they are square to the keel plate. Worry about the next set of parts after you get that done.

Jo,

What the others said. Read everything as many times as it takes to get a feel for the steps involved. Then treat each page as its own project. Ask as many question as you need and then ask more. In the forums list there is a section on framing and planking: https://modelshipworld.com/forum/14-building-framing-planking-and-plating-a-ships-hull-and-deck/

Take a stroll through there, there will be posts that will answer many of your questions as they come up.

Just enjoy yourself and take your time, its not a race. If you get frustrated or lost stop , have an adult beverage and come bak to it another time.

Ship mates? yes you can call us that. I cant speak for the others but you can call me anything you want as long as its not Late For Dinner. You can say pretty much what you want as long as it family friendly and non-inflamitory. Although the Mods tend to frown on too much non build related chit chat.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

6 hours ago, src said:

have an adult beverage

Hi Sam

I have news for you my friend, I don't drink that sort of stuff only water, tea or coffee (very strong coffee that is) I have to watch my figure.

You can guarantee Sam I will be taking my time 😊.

I am going to get some L brackets today.

Thank you for the advice.

Jo.

Current Build:

IL Leudo - Mamoli - 1:34

FD10 Arnanes 701 Billings scale 1:50

"Good conversations are the ones you have with people you do not know"

"L" brackets or corner braces as I know them are great to to hold a keel while you do the bulkheads IMHO. A lot of builders like Legos to help hold the bulkheads square, wish I knew that when I did mine so long ago.

Coffee qualifies as an adult beverage in my book. I wasn't allowed to drink it as a child. Hmmm Better Half calls me a big kid sometimes, I wonder how that works for beverages.

Sam

HEllo Jo,

Did you make yourself acquainted with the contents? Checked the items against the list, which should be included in the kit, it gives you the feeling of what you'll be working with. It's the first thing you should do, for you can act on missing parts. After that when you read the building instructions, you will recognise parts from the list and can probably visualise them as well - unless you have a memory like mine - so when you start your build it will not be so daunting. At least that's the way I work. You could use the parts beside the building instructions to familliarise yourself with them as well. So far you have received good counsil, and as has been put so eloquently: Ther are no dumb questions ... Enjoy your build

(Sam have you taken your pills?)

Darn, I forgot. Do not buy your tools to quickly, start with the basic ones, and add to them whilst you proceed. Often you can use a very cheap alternative ... have a look at the tools and jigs section here at MSW.

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

4 hours ago, cog said:

Do not buy your tools to quickly, start with the basic ones, and add to them whilst you proceed. Often you can use a very cheap alternative ... have a look at the tools and jigs section here at MSW.

YES, keep it simple for now. There is plenty of time to go broke buying Shiny Kit.

Sam

Hello Cog, yes I am going to look at the parts list today thank you.

Sam ha-ha you know what birds are like when it comes to shiny thing, we have to have them.

Thanks for the advice my friend.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello

When I got my L brackets I forgot about the board to screw them on ha-ha.

So that is my job for today.

Had a read of the book yesterday, will have to read it again as some thing just went over my head (ok you can all stop laughing now).

Are then there are the plans, best not to talk about them 😭.

Jo.

Current Build:

Jo, Plans are for studying not talking about..... Actually if you have a place to put them up on the wall that is really helpful I have found.

Thats it Carl, tell her to screw the braces to the table top. What will her Better Half have to say about that?? If your other half takes issue with holes in the dining room table Jo, just tell 'em to talk to Carl, its his fault. 😀

Sam

7 hours ago, cog said:

You could use your table top ...

Hi Cog ha-ha how about me screwing the brackets to your car bonnet 🤡 will send you a tin of the car bog they use for dents OK.

Hi Sam, I have 4 plans will have a look at them tonight.

Jo.

Current Build:

Sam, does her better half have anything to say ...?

Jo,

Now how come I haven't thought about it meself! I can even take it with me to work :)  Excuse my ignorance, but what is a car bog ... if it's heavy you better don't send it, US Postal charges are rather steep, and I won't pay for the import duties and taxes, you could wire the money though ... 

Sam did make a good proposition considering the plans, yes he does from time to time ( ;) ). You do not need to pin/stick them to the wall all four, just the one you need for what you are working on would suffice. Usually you've got two with side/front/rear, and top view, one for the rigging, and one for the sails. In my older kits I had only two, one for the hull, rigging, and sails, besides one to cut the sails, a template you could say

Carl

5 hours ago, SHIPSCAT said:

Hi Sam, I have 4 plans will have a look at them tonight.

Yes, they can be confusing and intimidating if you haven't spent time at some point working with plans. As with other things building your ship, it looks scarier than it really is. First, one of the plans will be a rigging plan. Set that aside, you don't need it until your hull is completely done. There should also be a plan that has the kit parts laid out, that's so you can take a part and check it on the plan to make sure you have the right part. So that one is just a reference.

The one you want to focus on is the one that has side/top/front/back views, that will be the one you use most often when assembling the hull. Yes there are more than a few parts and bits being shown, but you'll figure out what they are before you put them together, and again almost always even though there are quite a few steps, each of the steps really isn't that hard.

As I mentioned earlier, really the only thing you need to do once you have your brackets is slide all the bulkheads onto the keel plate, and they fit with matching slots so it's not exactly rocket science. The only requirements are to make sure the bulkheads are square to the keel plate when you glue them, and don't use half a bottle of glue doing it. Keep in mind that when it comes to glue, less is more. It's a certainty that the less you use, the less glue you'll need to clean off your parts.

15 hours ago, SHIPSCAT said:

Had a read of the book yesterday, will have to read it again as some thing just went over my head

Things continue to go over my head, some of the books might as well be in a foreign language with the sailing terminology being so dense. So until we get a lot more time with that terminology, we focus on pictures :) I still may not have the slightest idea what that thing is or what it does, but I can make it if I have a picture of what it looks like.

Jo,

Vossie got to the meat of if. Just take one step at a time, ask lots of questions and post pictures of what you are talking about. Someone will jump in with answers. Dont forget there are also the Shop Notes forums here. Building and Planking area will be your best friend.

AS far as terminology goes, dont worry too much about it, it will come to you, I am still making Widgets That Look More Different Than the Last Widget!! Just try to make the parts look like the pictures. Again dont be afraid to ask questions.

Sam

Edited by src
grammer

Jo,

Suggestion noting Mamoli instructions, do read twice always check ahead. You may find (example) on page 5 an assembly that should have been done on page 2. I took a lot of Excedrin on HMS Victory.

Take your time as others have said, lot of help here.  The old saying too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the soup its the exact opposite here too many cooks result in a better build.

John

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Hi Jo... remember to start a build log, if you haven't yet.

It is the best way to get help/advise/comments and pats in your back with your work.

Best wishes

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Just in case you haven't seen it, in addition to Bindy's build and Maurino's gallery on this forum, there's a build of the Leudo on YouTube which you might find helpful at:

Tony

15 hours ago, cog said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a car bog ... if it's heavy you better don't send it

"Car bog" is the filling compound they use to fill dents in car bodies. Usually comes in a can. It's an Australian term, like bonzer and dinkum or "I'm off, like a bucket of prawns in the sun"😁.

Steven

Hello shipmates.

tkay11 thank you re the video, yes I have that one on my PC but did you note the red deck 😷 no way will I paint it that colour.

My DIY store had to order my board so will try and go and get it today.

Steven is right we call it Car Bog in Australia.

I have also ordered a cutting mat and drill set.

Jo.

Edited by SHIPSCAT

Current Build:

21 minutes ago, SHIPSCAT said:

I have also ordered a cutting mate and drill set.

Don't forget bandaids and hydrogen peroxide, we all make blood donations to our models at some point during construction :)

With all the help you have here Jo, you won't even have to look at the plans, you just have to post a pic of the parts and ask "what next"?

As I take it your Australian (Kiwi here) these are some cheap alternatives to expensive tools I use.

Bunnings have a great range of cheap (NZ$1.20+) Fuller clamps in a range of sizes, I've found these to be invaluable.

Also a set of small files can be more useful than sandpaper for some jobs, plus you get a range of shapes for fiddly jobs. 

Cheap $2.00 nail file packs can also be handy.

A range of sandpaper grades, cut and glued onto small pieces of wood make great sanding blocks, cut the wood offcuts to whatever size and shape you need and you'll find that makes life easier too. 😊

Have fun.

2 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

Don't forget bandaids and hydrogen peroxide, we all make blood donations to our models at some point during construction :)

Vossie, she doesn't, and hence doesn't need those, she has a cutting mate whom will cut or chop off his fingers, wish those were sold here ... ;)

Carl

18 hours ago, johnothanswift said:

As I take it your Australian (Kiwi here) these are some cheap alternatives to expensive tools I use.

Bunnings have a great range of cheap (NZ$1.20+) Fuller clamps in a range of sizes, I've found these to be invaluable.

Also a set of small files can be more useful than sandpaper for some jobs, plus you get a range of shapes for fiddly jobs. 

Cheap $2.00 nail file packs can also be handy.

A range of sandpaper grades, cut and glued onto small pieces of wood make great sanding blocks, cut the wood offcuts to whatever size and shape you need and you'll find that makes life easier too. 😊

Have fun.

Hi John from the land of the Long white cloud.

Thank you for the information, we Have a Bunnings not far away from us.

Thanks for the tip for the off cuts of wood great idea.

Jo.

Current Build:

20 hours ago, SHIPSCAT said:

mate

Ha-ha Cog you got me, must have had a late night 🙄 rolling around on the MAT with my MATE.

BTW you was not invited 🤣.

Jo.

Current Build:

You'd better keep your wits about you when you use your mat/mate ... oh which ever ...  I'll leave you to your build. Oh, one advice: Measure twice before you cut to length ...

Edited by cog

Carl