SHIPSCAT

IL Leudo by SHIPSCAT (Jolene) - Mamoli - scale 1:34

Hi Jo.

Painting will spoil the look of the boat ..But saying that it might be a option you might take after planking.

Advice... Read the instructions and compare with the kit. Test all assembles as many times as it takes to satisfy yourself that you are doing the right thing.

It's a nice ship when finished and makes a very nice display.

I built a Leudo some time ago. Check my builds below.

Regards Antony.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:30 AM, tkay11 said:

Just in case you haven't seen it, in addition to Bindy's build and Maurino's gallery on this forum, there's a build of the Leudo on YouTube which you might find helpful at:

Tony

Ouch!!! Those colors!!! In my opinion, the fastest and most effective way to spoil a build is to use shiny paints or varnish. If painted, colors should be flat.

When in doubt, better leave it in natural wood finish!

Red is a very fast fading colour, this image of the painted model seems to be fairly accurate.

mamoli-il-leudo-32nd-scale-pob-wood_1_96

But, many years of plastic modelling speaking, weathering and wear really add to a painted model. Then again, there is the widespread opinion here that going for an unpainted wood only build is the way to go.

My personal opinion is that going for authenticity is the way to go, paint what was painted, with weathering if you want a used look, leave the rest as it was as used originally.

I'm just pleased that my current Billings Roar Ege build can be weathered to eternity and beyond........

Edited by johnothanswift

On 3/18/2019 at 9:16 AM, AntonyUK said:

Painting will spoil the look of the boat

Hi Antony.

Thank you for dropping in on my IL Leudo build.

Was thinking of painting the hull only.

Jo.

15 hours ago, Ulises Victoria said:

When in doubt, better leave it in natural wood finish!

Hello Ulises

I agree love wood finish, but will paint the hull.

Thank you for your comment.

Jo.

Hello shipyard workers.

Well I have put my L brackets on my shiny white board.

Before anyone asks me my wrist hurts screwing the screws in 😭.

So when you all have stopped laughing 😄 you can tell me I have done it wrong.

That thing in the middle look a bit low don't you think, I purchased the smallest L brackets I could find.

Do you think I should put some blocks under it on each end.

It's a start yippeeeeeeeeeeee.

Jo.1563393485_ILLEUDO1_0002.thumb.jpg.1a711e245bf838d7bfca68c43c9013c6.jpg1174610264_ILLEUDO1_0006.thumb.jpg.a565e4f02304f0dc8badd54624aed28a.jpg

21 minutes ago, SHIPSCAT said:

Do you think I should put some blocks under it on each end.

It helps to have the keel up off the building board a few inches, as part of the next task is putting in the bulkheads and the bottom alignment of the bulkheads relative to the keel is one of the key things to get right. If the keel is up, it's a bit easier to see that alignment.

But I'm not sure it's worth hurting your wrist to screw them all back out and back in a new position.

Nice start Jo!

It doesn’t look like you have screwed the brackets to you keel, raising it up a bit shouldn’t be a problem. If you do screw your keel to the brackets make sure you have a plan to remove it before you finish planking. 

Sam 

16 hours ago, Ulises Victoria said:

Nice start Jo!

Above all remember this: it is YOUR ship. Do whatever you feel like and whatever you want with it!!! Don't try to please anyone else but YOU!!!

Best wishes

Hello Ulises

Thank you, yes it is my ship but I keep changing my mind about the colours, you know what we ladies are like, and please don't you men answer that 😄.

Jo.

16 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

It helps to have the keel up off the building board a few inches

Hello vossiewulf

Thank you also, yes I was thinking of putting some blocks under each side.

Jo.

4 hours ago, src said:

It doesn’t look like you have screwed the brackets to you keel

Hi Sam

No I have not screwed the brackets to the keel thing.

Going to glue the ends on today, hope to post a photo 😀.

Thank you all for the likes.

Jo.

45 minutes ago, SHIPSCAT said:

No I have not screwed the brackets to the keel thing.

Then you would be .......                                                                                                                     in trouble

If you haven't read up on your planking. It might be a good idea not to tally any longer ... if you do not know the knowledge db then that is a good place to start. The link will take you straight to the docs for framing and planking. It's nice to be prepared ... Until you've reached the point of no return, you can always change your mind about the colour ... usually you are far beyond it when you find out what colour you want - just pullin' yer leg