IL Leudo by SHIPSCAT (Jolene) - Mamoli - scale 1:34

Hello all, sorry back again ☺️.

This is my first attempt at sanding the balsa wood.

According to the instructions this is how they tell you to finish the frames off, blend the filler part on the keel to the frame but don't forget I have put some filler blocks in.

If you all think I should do it a different way please tell me.

I do have to fill a bit in with some bog.

Jo.

244123887_ILLEUDO17_0002.thumb.jpg.f84a15db3b9e5a67f02195b7f147dcc6.jpg441586683_ILLEUDO17_0003.thumb.jpg.f57b1b6064799091365621810354bb15.jpg

Current Build:

IL Leudo - Mamoli - 1:34

FD10 Arnanes 701 Billings scale 1:50

"Good conversations are the ones you have with people you do not know"

Michael, Lobith comes to mind, and yes some rasping/sanding/filing would be in order

Jo, A temporary relaps into insanity I would call it, however, you stated "were for a firm in Melbourne" which doesn't mean you live(d) there, for all I know you took the helicopter home

Now why didn't we see any picsies of flying sanddust, a work bench full of discarded tools, and a dremel running amok straigt away. Nice job though. Don't expect any tulips for a job well done. Didn't I tell you to sand outside?

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

6 hours ago, SHIPSCAT said:

This is my first attempt at sanding the balsa wood.

It looks fine Jolene, that's what it should look like, nice job. Only thing is if you're going to add more balsa blocks, you want to do that all at once because as you see, when you sand down the balsa you're sanding down and beveling the frames also. You really want to do that process all at once to end up with a fully smooth result, as each frame needs to be sanded and beveled into something exactly halfway between the frame in front and the frame in back.

13 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

add more balsa blocks

Hello vossie

No more blocks are going to be added, I am only put them in the front and back.

Yes I understand what you are saying about sanding the frames.

Thank you for all of your advice.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello shipmates and Cog

Ok started sanding the next block of balsa wood, it needs some filler in parts.

Question for you all, according to the little bit of paper they call an instruction book you only take a small amount off the frames from 1-4 about 1mm in width but just on one edge, so going on that I will stop sanding them and leave as is, but will go on what ever you all will say like take more off.

Jo.

12147531_ILLEUDO18_0002.thumb.jpg.9be6f8fb1624fc42d7f37956f30a7d5f.jpg229499785_ILLEUDO18_0004.thumb.jpg.641e9f0ab6785ab5546cf5930971f0ab.jpg343493750_ILLEUDO18_0007.thumb.jpg.eff975adb5bf721fcfacaddae5c9609f.jpg

Current Build:

Hello Jo.

Remember that the purpose of both the balsa fillers and frames are to support your planking. Try laying a plank in the place approximate where it should be and try eyeballing if there are gaps or bumps between the plank and the fillers/frames.\

If so fill or sand accordingly!

You are doing a very good job! Keep at it!!!

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

26 minutes ago, Ulises Victoria said:

Try laying a plank in the place approximate

Hello Ulises

Ok will do what you are saying, thank you so much.

Jo.

Current Build:

Jo,

When you the test using a plank, also check how much of the frame is touching the wood.  You may need to do some more beveling especially at the front and aft ends where the planks have some curve to them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Jo, looks pretty good to me. However I would even up the bottom of the blocks/bulkheads. Either you need to add material between frames 1 and 2 or remove material between frames 2 and 3, or both. This is going to establish where your planks are coming into the stem and not too far from now, you probably have to cut a rabbet (US) or a rebate (UK) along this line so that the planks will fit correctly, and you want the substrate (fillers and frames) to flow smoothly into the rabbet.

Below is me smoothing out the rabbet on the bows of my Lady Nelson, easier to understand by seeing it.

20170129_225107.jpg

Jo, in addition to what the others have said, it helps to get your hull in some good side light and look at it from all angles. when you have a nice fair curve you will get a smooth even gradient of light to dark. any highlights/shadows interfering with the transition of light to dark indicate an area that either needs more sanding or some filling in.

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Hello all

I have done some more sanding, and now tried a plank across the frames.

It's not too bad but will need some filler on one part, I also have to fill the bottom of the balsa wood.

I have taken more wood of the frames than the instructions tell me to.

Jo.

1865203034_ILLEUDO19_0002.thumb.jpg.df25d049a53342757f51cda987c96036.jpg882938928_ILLEUDO19_0004.thumb.jpg.a669a16303e6d7c140e46db020f1828e.jpg

Current Build:

Looks good from here including the beveling of the frames.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You took off more ...  you will have some planks left, after you've finished the hull ;) 

Looks good though, as long as you took off equal quantities from port, and starboard sides

Carl

Looks fine Jo, but also at this stage if you don't like it, cut a strip of wood and glue it to the bulkhead edge and/or add more balsa and resand it. None of this will be seen, so you can freely revise as you wish until you're happy. People regularly overshoot a bit and use filler or more wood to build back up before finalizing.

BTW you've done very well to get past the first stages that many people without much experience making things find very intimidating. You've kept the courage up and moved forward and now your little Il Leudo looks exactly like 100 other boats being built on this site right now, so call those days seized. Make sure you keep that faith when you first start planking :)

12 hours ago, cog said:

You took off more ...  you will have some planks left, after you've finished the hull ;) 

Looks good though, as long as you took off equal quantities from port, and starboard sides

Hello Carl

Ha-ha may be I could build a rowing boat with the planks left over ☺️.

Re equal quantities, will be looking at that today.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hi all

I would just like to say THANK YOU ALL for the kind words and advice on my IL Leudo build.

Not forgetting the LIKES.

I don't think you all know how much it means to me.

Again thank you all.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello shipmates

Well how do I start this ☺️.

After completely scrapping some wood for the first plank (please don't ask me how as I don't wish you all to kill yourselves with laughing, so will keep my mishaps to myself).

Ok I said to myself what did my shipmates say to me constantly PATIENCE, PATIENCE and more PATIENCE.

So after two days I got my first plank on one side yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, the other side will only take me a day if I am lucky.

This plank is walnut ?, all I can say is thank god I purchased an electric plank bender.

The first plank is important as it is a guide for some holes that have to be drilled in the hull, I don't know what you call them but as far as I know it's for the seawater to drain out of, please tell me if I am wrong and what is the name of them if they have a name that is.

The next planking strips are a white colour and look softer than the walnut ? ones so they should be easy to bend 🤣.

I have ordered some wood of differant sizes in case I make more mistakes as I am more than likely to do 😫.

Jo.

1402952309_ILLEUDO20_0002.thumb.jpg.ff4562582be6608e94ce387dcb6124e1.jpg1291785856_ILLEUDO20_0005.thumb.jpg.316d999c180b74bb575ee7e44dcb6133.jpg1116126569_ILLEUDO20_0007.thumb.jpg.0d3aee60108718a6aeae1b1dd1b1ee94.jpg1767974996_ILLEUDO20_0010.thumb.jpg.314524c706f25d73468e370ff3d9652e.jpg

Current Build:

Looking good, those holes are called scuppers

19 minutes ago, src said:

So, now that you are an expert, are you done yet??

Hello Sam

My little IL Leudo today the TITANIC tomorrow 😻.

Jo .

Current Build:

What are you blubbering about mistakes, so far you've solved a kit problem at the bow, stiffened the frames so it isn't a wobbly assembly, got the lot sanded to a smooth lined shape, and added your first plank.

As Sam said, "are you done yet", or do we have to give you a bath!

1685172953_nattepoes.jpg.c1014d999a8ee676dccc7713a493d14a.jpg

Before you start planking!

Carl

18 hours ago, ESF said:

Jo,

Very nice job so far.  You have plenty of coaches but on the very small chance it is not mentioned be aware that even softer wood like basswood won't take much of a bend without some coaxing with your plank bender, or with other plank bending methods favored by others.

Steve

Hello Steve

Thank you I will put them in water before I try to bend them.

Jo.

Current Build:

18 hours ago, cog said:

What are you blubbering about mistakes, so far you've solved a kit problem at the bow, stiffened the frames so it isn't a wobbly assembly, got the lot sanded to a smooth lined shape, and added your first plank.

As Sam said, "are you done yet", or do we have to give you a bath!

1685172953_nattepoes.jpg.c1014d999a8ee676dccc7713a493d14a.jpg

Before you start planking!

Hi Carl.

I will try not to blubber any more Ok.

I am going to start the 5mm x 1.5mm planking.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello all

Just a small update, as I said I have started planking the hull.

I found the hardest part was trying to get the length of the plank from one end to the other.

What I did was bend both ends first, I then glued one end and worked my way along.

I stopped about 4 frames from the other end and cut the plank to size.

Sorry about the dirty marks on the ends.

I am loving this planking, I can see the ship taking place now  😻.

Jo.

800901176_ILLEUDO21_0002.thumb.jpg.46797ed90f04148bd3f500795f5997c9.jpg1527307279_ILLEUDO21_0005.thumb.jpg.cc08a5392d4d9b2446426b4164e5f749.jpg499448631_ILLEUDO21_0008.thumb.jpg.5f72047b7c4dabb4bfebd7a6e0462467.jpg964808255_ILLEUDO21_0012.thumb.jpg.26ec67a6f4b7c0ae11efcf94c33b6bfa.jpg

Current Build: