U-552 by yvesvidal - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/48 - PLASTIC - Type VIIC U-boat

I'm loving it.  Beautiful work, Yves.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yves-That looks fantastic but I have to ask, what the hell am I supposed to do now? Viewing your updates is a daily routine for me. Now what do I do? I mean, you could start building the Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck or if you want a real challenge, try making a reasonable model out of the Trumpy 1/200 Titanic but until then, what am I supposed to do (sniff, sniff)?

Seriously, that looks awesome. Can't wait to see the pro pics of it. You have done a masterful job and should be truly proud. Thank you for all the hard work you not only put into the model, but taking the time to share it with all of us. Here's hoping you grace us with another project but you definitely deserve a breather after this one.

Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722 during their 15th patrol.

I almost hate to see it completed Yves.

I enjoyed every installment of this fascinating and masterful build, never failing to be astounded and amazed with the new additions.

Congratulations 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I hope you'll put some pictures into the Gallery, Yves.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Amazing work   you have put so much effort into this  amazing build  you should be so Proud.

Congratulations.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

WOW, how in the heck did I miss this one!!!!

Fantastic work Yves, a real museum piece...

Congratulations on a job well and truly done!!!!

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Just an outstanding work of art and craft. Really well done Yves.

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Hi Yves,

Fantastic model, I wish I had your skills.

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

Yves,

Absolutely stunning build. You are a master of your craft. I have thoroughly enjoyed this build and look forward to your next endeavor. Also, your photos are nothing to balk at at all. They truly do your model justice. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                  Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                                HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                                     King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                                       Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                                  USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting for my professional photographer to show up.... I think it will not happen, as he is probably hiding in his basement....

Anyway, I wanted to look quickly and very superficially at the cost of building such a model. We will assume you already are in possession of a bunch of tools, including a Dremel hand machine with a nice set of bits.

The kit itself is around $450, the RCSubs PE sets add another $270-300 depending on how far you are going, $50 in glues of all kinds, $100 in paints (The Humbrol paints coming from Europe to paint the hull and deck cost me close to $50), LEDs (close to 50), electric motors and many yards of very thin electric wires, the stand made of wood and brass tubes, switches and many little things here and there. We are probably not far or slightly above one grand. Even more if you start buying books and DVDs on that subject.....

But when you look at the time it takes to build such model, it is no more than $3 per day which is less expensive than beer or tobacco. We all know that the cost of our passion is no object and as such should be disregarded.

I have immensely enjoyed building this model and being able to present it to you readers and enthusiasts. I have to confess that your support and encouragements have been my fuel to continue through that, at times, difficult endeavor. In retrospect, I just cannot believe that this thread was visited close to 80,000 times over a period of 16 months.

Thus, to conclude that Build Log, let me offer you some last pictures of the model and of the real thing. I simply hope the model will not terminate like the real submersible....

DSC04859.thumb.JPG.0b8a814fb6acb78cd43b07658ab5b710.JPG

DSC04863.thumb.JPG.d9ba4bdefff9e7cdc5b4e3be1aeb415c.JPG

DSC04864.thumb.JPG.2e5495dd7b854f90cff62ca4828b3023.JPG

DSC04865.thumb.JPG.a74d40fd6f8b7699b134eb265d6ddfbb.JPG

DSC04866.thumb.JPG.7d5d41f3eee81f2d0bde19c5e9c431e9.JPG

Periscope.jpg.d9320b7fd57b9c364a8292088e588e39.jpg

DSC04867.thumb.JPG.9f93d32cac627ad9252ee5284b934d66.JPG

9311874_U-552sail.jpg.761b9b1010a3fe210b70c34fe146a753.jpg

DSC04856.thumb.JPG.7db3125e8a2a823fc3135210256916e4.JPG

7bbbc0a1d03dfead60840eb2be7574a5.jpg.82a4fb69740c24fa4c11b6b4ddd26c98.jpg

DSC04857.thumb.JPG.b761e01e04d9ec47ab9fb808cff19688.JPG

c400d2fccc8bffb9ecd7048443f49da8.jpg.aef75c6ec538d24b2e8a675f4ee08e07.jpg

DSC04858.thumb.JPG.a889e8b5e68a7aaa553637aa756bec75.JPG

2d8c3d3497cb4e66e25191262d6a295c.jpg.9a689aee46bfb629b9844c06218b219d.jpg

DSC04850.thumb.JPG.236f4a19d0f48a4226cb136df9b7d73b.JPG

DSC04851.thumb.JPG.1af3144f02ec638aa1eee6ee4f09e228.JPG

DSC04852.thumb.JPG.588c4ae720b8561f1cf50c2048bd8940.JPG

DSC04853.thumb.JPG.922a447667a391ae587b658152dc79df.JPG

DSC04854.thumb.JPG.812c5ffd6d8011820add5c9c1384e976.JPG

DSC04855.thumb.JPG.60cd55f52bd60744c9dce71bd76c27a7.JPG

Although it is not completely clear how U-552 finished its days, I think it was scuttled before the Allies could take possession of it in one of the Brittany ports in 1945.

uboatrashed.jpg.31501dac1ee49769fe8c77311160dc78.jpg

uboatrashed2.jpg.c880ee416e430a5ac68b9173e8eaede1.jpg

1807508896_U-552scuttled.png.67aaa38aa12a018e441a0260030488d8.png

1604874716807.thumb.jpg.aacac7d071bf464dada7fe11c80bc6e0.jpg

Yves

german-submarine-u-552-555906ec-f0f7-485b-afb7-ad9f1a1619f-resize-750.jpeg

Edited by yvesvidal

49 minutes ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

Is that a big model, or are you a smallish person?

I do not dress at Big and Tall 😀. I am only 5 feet 10 inches, 61 years old and 177 pounds. The model is quite large, on the other hand as you can see.... and heavy too!

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Yves,  

I still sit here in amazement at the beauty And detail of this build. So sad to see it end. Can’t wait to see what hits the bench next. 

-Brian

Edited by mbp521

Current Builds:                                                                                                  Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                                HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                                     King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                                       Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                                  USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Yves,  Just one amazing and beautiful model.  And that pic of you holding it really gives an idea of how large it is.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Fantastic finish   - all your hard work and commitment   paid off  Ten Fold.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

• 2 weeks later...

Yves: an inspiration to us all to detail our sub models! :imNotWorthy: Congratulations!

Maybe one day we might see you build out a US Gato sub the same way.

Really enjoyed you're historical research along with implementation in detailing work. 

:champagne:       :dancetl6:

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

On 11/9/2020 at 6:37 PM, mbp521 said:

Yves,  

I still sit here in amazement at the beauty And detail of this build. So sad to see it end. Can’t wait to see what hits the bench next. 

-Brian

Brian,

I have resurrected the Emma C Berry by Model Shipways.

Yves

On 11/27/2020 at 3:06 AM, RGL said:

Mate, we don’t mention the cost, ever, should someone somehow stumble across it. Sshhh. My next major  build will probably cost a Bomb but the secret is to do it in stages so she never knows the real cost. 

Greg,

I cannot wait to see what it is going to be.... Still in 1/350th or bigger ...?

Yves

54 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

Greg,

I cannot wait to see what it is going to be.... Still in 1/350th or bigger ...?

Yves

I’m planning on an Ark Royal as it has been reissued, but probably not till next year as my aircon died this week and I live on the hottest place on earth (it was 36 yesterday and it’s spring)  my new one gets installed next week. So next year then. 

Greg