U-552 Type VIIc Submersible by yvesvidal - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/48 - Plastic

Looking great.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

The part of being very lethal.   Well done.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

the hull looks great!  great coverage too :) .......at one time I used to use Humbrol as well as Pactra.   very good selection of colors and didn't go by a number system at the time.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

There won't be much in terms of updates. I am waiting for parts and paints.

Can you believe that Trumpeter omitted to provide the Waterline markings on their (otherwise nice) decals sheet?

I realized that yesterday and was really surprised by this mishap. Fortunately, I found a British company Accurate Model Parts that do sell the Waterline markings as well as a few other things for the Trumpeter kit. 

I also have on order some Tamiya paints and clear coats and do not know how long it will take to come here. Tamiya products are starting to be very rare if you want a color other than the Fluo and Neon Orange and Green.

Yves

Still a few small updates, working on details that make a difference: 

1) The anodes on the diving planes, provided by the RCSubs PE set: 

DSC03922.thumb.JPG.57b691b67d1959629d3fc79dd3cf1809.JPG

2) The menacing teeth, used to cut nets and underwater cables (again pimped up by RCSubs PE set): 

DSC03923.thumb.JPG.602c608b7485340bff0dde4509b2bec2.JPG

DSC03925.thumb.JPG.a8bea9049f06b39483a5d41c65aadbfe.JPG

3) The rings to attach the crew/sailors when working on untangling the propellers or doing the maintenance of the rear diving planes (Intermountain parts in 1/48th):

DSC03924.thumb.JPG.c693f020e8ce5952b193a50ed0535b06.JPG 

4) And finally the net/cables cutter on the top of the bow (again pimped up with RCSubs PE set):

DSC03926.thumb.JPG.5cd283a990c1bda1a0ac2e5d50309890.JPG

Little details, very fragile, but which are slowly turning this kit into a realistic Type VIIc model.

Yves

coming along quite nicely........the paint and the detailing looks super!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

what....you can't just sling it over your shoulder?!?!?!  :D   just kidding :rolleyes:  now for the bit and pieces......really nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I have been trying to finish the deck, before painting it. Lots of small details and PE parts went on it: 

DSC03931.thumb.JPG.44c2df705203b5bc775d9bf1acb60478.JPG

DSC03930.thumb.JPG.6258deb13cc4fe2f1c86f909ab051459.JPG

DSC03932.thumb.JPG.14a9945203d274827ba46f6b94992051.JPG

Then it is masking time: 

DSC03933.thumb.JPG.2b36de37cc4f01257cdb976e1877310b.JPG

And a coat of automotive primer to harmonize the whole: 

DSC03934.thumb.JPG.ee7ef9900bb6de67567d7d92c52bb404.JPG

Once, the Primer is dry, I will be in a position to start painting the deck. Some pictures: 

DSC03935.thumb.JPG.2b5b7317a7c102a9b43aa4547dbd2c97.JPG

DSC03936.thumb.JPG.e050e79aa0189e2c454e60b93a37fe98.JPG

DSC03937.thumb.JPG.c1b72b1d7dc0a2cd591bf4e9bfa98c05.JPG

DSC03938.thumb.JPG.848e76ab8de926747cfde859a05b91f7.JPG

Yves

Very nice work - looks so lifelike.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Deck has been painted: 

DSC03940.thumb.JPG.4ef136ccc19c645e1eeb39c1cc83cf3b.JPG

The bow and stern platforms are painted with Tamiya Dark Grey XF-24. The rest of the deck is Tamiya XF-64 to simulate the German tar that was spread on metallic deck to prevent sailors from slipping at sea.

That tar, originally darker was fading very rapidly with the sun light and the salt. Once the hull has been clear coated, I will try to add some shadings and washes in different locations.

DSC03941.thumb.JPG.b3b1393def849e45890d24150f815c3a.JPG

DSC03942.thumb.JPG.9c78f68937934bb89771a66f9f027192.JPG

DSC03943.thumb.JPG.893ba2f451ca475d0682173e3bdfbcbf.JPG

DSC03944.thumb.JPG.fd294f3fbd82c84c260d1a2763863973.JPG

That PE deck from RCsubs really stands out. I have been watching some pictures on the web, of the same model where the Trumpeter plastic deck is painted.... and there is absolutely no comparison. It was a lot of work but worth every dollar and drop of sweat. The entire hull is now ready for the waterline decals (just received them from England) and a final mat clear coat to seal everything before the big challenge of weathering.

DSC03945.thumb.JPG.16b7a8a48265bd09e2c5a5d5e068e951.JPG

The decals from AMP: 

DSC03939.thumb.JPG.4744042e36aef2cf230f3ed0c817d847.JPG

Once set on the dark hull, they will be more visible.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Beautiful work yvesvidal!!  :imNotWorthy:

In the coming month I assume your going to put her under glass? Also what are you going to use for a mounting base?

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

58 minutes ago, Jonathan11 said:

Beautiful work yvesvidal!!  :imNotWorthy:

In the coming month I assume your going to put her under glass? Also what are you going to use for a mounting base?

Jonathan,

To be honest, I have not thought about all these details yet. The Mounting base will be very similar to what you are seeing ow, but with longer Brass tubes. I also have to design a base that can include some electronics and switches, for the lights and motors.

We will see. This is still far away.

Yves

Just as carl says  - looks so real.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

It already looks extremely deadly.... a ship killer.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yves - I have been following your build for quite a while now and I must say, it's a very impressive build. This model is not for the faint of heart, even if built straight from the box. Your details and crew interaction is great (the battery room comes to mind).

I am also building this kit as U-371 in the Med. The kit is almost a blank canvas for anyone that enjoys superdetailing. However, on such a large model, as you well know, it can get overwhelming depending on your desired level of detail. I've never been a rivet counter but I'm finding myself careening in that direction. I think I need to jerk the wheel back straight again!

I wish I had your level of ambition. I'm amazed at your progress on a weekly basis. Keep up the good work!

Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722 during their 15th patrol.

On 8/31/2019 at 10:05 AM, Katuna said:

Yves - I have been following your build for quite a while now and I must say, it's a very impressive build. This model is not for the faint of heart, even if built straight from the box. Your details and crew interaction is great (the battery room comes to mind).

I am also building this kit as U-371 in the Med. The kit is almost a blank canvas for anyone that enjoys superdetailing. However, on such a large model, as you well know, it can get overwhelming depending on your desired level of detail. I've never been a rivet counter but I'm finding myself careening in that direction. I think I need to jerk the wheel back straight again!

I wish I had your level of ambition. I'm amazed at your progress on a weekly basis. Keep up the good work!

Thank you Katuna for all the praises and compliments.

As a matter of fact, I have also been following your build log on the AMP web site and find your attention to details absolutely incredible. I am actually planning to use some of your research and Tore's publications to increase the level of detailing of this model and make it closer to the prototype. Tore, Prince, you and a couple of other guys are an incredible source of information that makes the building of this model, so much more entertaining. Keep up the good work and let's finish that Engine compartment.

Yves

Wow, thanks the compliment. I'm just getting back into modeling after about 40 years. Things have changed just a tad. The bar has been raised to the stratosphere! I'm just playing catch up.

Glad you're getting some use out of my posts. However, Tore and Don are the true masters. I just translate information.

Ah, the Engine compartment. Unfortunately I only get an hour here and there to work on my boat so it's taking a lot longer than I would like. Let me ask you, which compartment was the easiest to get through? After I complete the Engine room, I'm going to need something to bring me back down. 🥴 

Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722 during their 15th patrol.

1 hour ago, Katuna said:

Let me ask you, which compartment was the easiest to get through? After I complete the Engine room, I'm going to need something to bring me back down. 🥴 

For me, the front Torpedoes room was the easiest. 

Then the Officers Quarters was a lot more tricky because I have been trying to replicate the fuel tank and batteries, underneath. Plus the additional bunks.

Finally, the rear torpedoes compartment has been the most delicate because I have two electric motors and the capability to spin the propellers.

I have not done anything else. I am focusing right now on the main hull and learning how to weather a model. Like you, I have been away of plastic models for the past 40 years, pretty much. 

Yves

Folks,

I am at a cross-roads and a little bit overwhelmed by the extent of what needs to take place. I would like to realize a hull that has seen some actions, but I doubt I can be up to the task. 

I could go with three different approaches: 

1) Perfectly immaculate hull, freshly painted and somewhat un-realistic. Pretty model, quickly done and politically correct.

2) Slightly weathered, mostly saline corrosion and tiny spots of rust here and there. Some algae and salt deposits along the water line.

3) Really beat-up, full of corrosion and salt deposits. There are quite a few models on the web like these and they are outstanding and absolutely mesmerizing of realism and perfection. But these are made by artists and take an enormous amount of work and skills that I do not have.

I have been toying and trying some practices on the removable hull (starboard). I am basically trying to stay with the second approach and these are some of my results. If it is not good enough, I am going back to Option #1 and repainting that section of hull.

DSC03956.thumb.JPG.1fe60a726f03ea5480d9ccde5fa0d1db.JPG

Saline traces coming out of the flood vents. The algae is rather missed..... :-(

DSC03957.thumb.JPG.5dc2c0444da2de033fc428893a8f85ac.JPG

More saline deposits on the bottom of the hull.

DSC03955.thumb.JPG.57002dfd3212abc3e60ca9a493f91e6f.JPG

Some attempts at playing with rust and paint scaling.

What do you guys think? I have not touched the other side of the hull yet. Just practicing...

Yves

Yves,

Follow your heart and see where it leads.  You may try #3 and realize you're way over your head.  You many do #1 and then be mad later because it's too pristine.  I'd say use #2 as your baseline.  If you feel comfortable and up to doing more, go for it.

I do like the rust by the way and other aging things you've done.  

Which raises a question... how often were the subs pulled out and put in drydock? 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: