U-552 by yvesvidal - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/48 - PLASTIC - Type VIIC U-boat

Some updates, on the Diesel engine compartment: 

DSC04087.thumb.JPG.57266b8b5c38c6750d312603cf4edf6b.JPG

DSC04089.thumb.JPG.39dd2625601bea95ab6ffffe08da1d9d.JPG

Basically, to give the roof and wall a more interesting appearance, I am doubling the molded wires with real conduits: twisted pairs from CAT5E cables. The fasteners are made of a small piece of tape sliced, to create the illusion of some metallic holders. Also, notice that I made a second hole for the exhaust of the starboard engine (missing in the kit, of course).

DSC04088.thumb.JPG.2530eecd22674cb14703accae8176308.JPG

Once painted, the result is not too bad. All the conduits blend nicely....

DSC04092.thumb.JPG.dbe958f95484991c199e45e295aedef2.JPG

Highlight of some details and a touch of wash on the conduits. Still very clean overall, no grease and oil being spilled.

DSC04095.thumb.JPG.2b9f56a00d0eda4a60b47a0ffbe94653.JPG

Painting the chassis took forever, even with an airbrush: there are so many surfaces.... I cannot even imagine what it would be to paint this with a brush: 

DSC04090.thumb.JPG.320bcd4902119770a83915d61651e14b.JPG

DSC04091.thumb.JPG.e2af075dcbc94e763ab5d117f3ddbe57.JPG

DSC04096.thumb.JPG.5a9ca2386854475eaa7ac65eda5c4e4b.JPG

Et voila, for the moment.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

This wonderful 360 spherical view of the Engine compartment is very useful: 

https://www.360cities.net/image/submarine-u-995-machine-room

I already spotted another error done by Trumpeter, who installed the indicator lights over the rear bulkhead (wall between Diesel and electric engines) when in fact they are suspended to the ceiling, near the wall between Diesel engine and kitchen.

When looking at this presentation, please keep in mind that the pictured U-995 is somewhat different from the early U-552 that we are depicting. In addition, U-995 has been modified heavily and retro-fitted with more technology than the early U-Boots. Therefore it may explains some of the differences between the pictures and the model.

Yves

cat 5 cable wire does a very nice job!  I have a ton of it.......used to make these cables in my spare time for extra cash ;)   really nice progress since I last looked in!  looks awesome :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I am now moving away from the Trumpeter instructions.... not that I have followed them very much, since the beginning. What should have been glued last, is actually done first.

DSC04099.thumb.JPG.1c235bf475dab031f87fbab53117115f.JPG

This is done to allow me to fine tune the alignment of the engine(s) and transmission shaft(s). If you do that task at the end, as suggested by the assembly instructions, you run the risk of having the shaft not match the opening in the bulkhead (which is exactly what is happening, already). So, some intervention will be necessary at this location.

I have two diesel engines, but they are identical and not symmetrical as are the real ones. So, we need to perform some important surgery on the starboard engine. In addition, keeping the two engines fully assembled will hide the "prototypical" and correct looking engine and presents to the observers, something that is not right. So, I have decided to cut down to the crankshaft case the second engine and prepare it for a little surprise..... If I can do it. More will come later, in a few days....

DSC04098.thumb.JPG.9be5222c04f732c161fbe2ce79cd3b91.JPG

This is where we stand at this moment. hopefully, most details of the port engine will be visible over the "cut" starboard engine. This is going to be a very busy compartment.

DSC04097.thumb.JPG.d11491e9987a6d2b16118331157c13b7.JPG

Thank you for all the "Likes", encouragement and support.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Let's look at some of the information I found on the Diesel Engine compartment.

As shown by the blueprint, there are three main tanks in that compartment (and there are many secondary and very important tanks to operate such complex machine). There are two Fuel tanks located under the engines and multiple lubrication tanks located right between the engines, under the walkway. These 3D renderings will help: 

Engine-10.jpg.0f395d2c710c2dfa04b53c1145634985.jpg

That first drawing shows the fuel cells under each engine and the multiple oil/lubrication tanks, pipes and associated pumps. Quite complex.

Engine-11.png.e56d4ce52d4a764bde47ce2a6b335d95.png

The drawing above shows the two engines and the walkway installed between them. Notice that the two engines are not parallel to each other. This is not correctly represented in the Trumpeter kit. I will see if I can give the model some offset on the engines.

The three following drawings are showing the armature holding up the two massive diesel engines. Fuel tanks are built in between the frames, whereas oil tanks are installed as separate cells between the main longitudinal frames. I have decided to not represent any of these fuel and oil tanks, as I like to be able to show  the nice ribs arrangement.

Engine-20.jpg.bc0f3548f96a5a3d89b3a38d16c1e483.jpg

Engine-18.jpg.6c267aa04b7a39aebe0dbdc197344102.jpg

Here again, the Trumpeter kit does not provide the two elevated frames marked with a warning signs.

Engine-19.jpg.b2e24afe196c252d13bdeb88511ece76.jpg

The next diagram show the cooling and anti-corrosion system used for the diesel engines and electrical motors:

Engine-17.thumb.jpg.7c0bbcda0689475bb84668b65d42d024.jpg

We saw that the diesel engines were introduced by an opening on the pressure hull. That opening was bolted and carefully made waterproof. the two following pictures show that large opening. On the second picture, the opening is shown in greater details, but it is a later model than the U-552 (possibly even a Type IX). You can also see the large pipe bringing fresh air to the engine compartment. On the U-552, that pipe would be almost straight.

Engine-13.jpg.db53361fe43f57c8f3bc711efe2e3da4.jpg

Engine-14.jpg.aeda9e16c2802b84c3a67bf7317e7c99.jpg

Finally, some views and blueprints of the engine itself: 

Engine-16.jpg.07bcf81145f496827feee6f128c9b67f.jpg

Engine-12.thumb.jpg.93a6e0d0932539c751dd123eb19dd5ce.jpg

I have to say that Trumpeter did an excellent work on the engine details. It is rendered in great details as we will see.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

With all of the research you have done on this build you will possibly be one of the most knowledgeable U-Boat experts anywhere. I had no idea that the details you are showing were even available outside of some kind of research facility! Thanks for sharing these bits and pieces along with your excellent model build. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I think I know where you're going with the starboard engine. If I'm correct, good luck! I was going to go that route, although I was going to have to scratchbuild the lower engine block. I abandoned that idea so I wish you God speed in your endeavor. You're going to have a great compartment when you're done.

I have some drawings I did of that area that might be of some help if you're interested. Shoot me a PM if you want to take a look.

Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722 during their 15th patrol.

30 minutes ago, Katuna said:

I think I know where you're going with the starboard engine. If I'm correct, good luck! I was going to go that route, although I was going to have to scratchbuild the lower engine block. I abandoned that idea so I wish you God speed in your endeavor. You're going to have a great compartment when you're done.

Katuna,

I know you know, since we frequent the same very specialized forums. I simply hope I can get close enough to what You and Bianco are doing. I am humbled when I see the masterpieces and the extent of research and details that you are putting into these models.

Katuna, I use your work as the reference for a lot of details and understanding of that submarine. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and skills with us.

With gratitude.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

3 hours ago, Katuna said:

I have some drawings I did of that area that might be of some help if you're interested. Shoot me a PM if you want to take a look.

Please, post here what you think is relevant to the Diesel engines compartment. I'd love to see what you have.

Yves

You flatter me sir but I'm just a hack compared to most of these guys. You're no slouch either. You've done some great work. This boat is a challenge for anyone just out of the box. I just wish you didn't work so fast because you're modeling a lot of my ideas.

Here's the drawing I made. I added the lower oil sump as the Trumpeter engine is missing this as well as the flywheel housing at the forward end. I believe the throws on the crank are clocked correctly. I went by some factory film stills. The drawing is not to scale, of course but it's close. The forward end gear and thrust bearing are a "best guesstimate". Hope this helps. I gave up on it because when I started making the crank throws I realized how tiny all the parts were going to be and my gnarled old hands just can't hack it anymore.

A suggestion would be to make the mains as one rod from front to back and load the counterweights on, add the rod shafts then cut out the main rod in between the counterweights. I think it would be best to use brass rod but it would be very difficult to cut the rod throw sections out without damaging the rest of the crank. It could all be done with plastic but you would definitely need to make a jig to hold it in alignment. 

If you can pull it off, I will surely envy you, lol.

Star Engine Crankcase Color Parts ID.png

Edited by Katuna

Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722 during their 15th patrol.

Thank you Katuna for all this very interesting material.

I have thought about showing the oil pan on the engine and regrets that Trumpeter did not include that part in their otherwise extremely well detailed engine. I may fabricate it for the starboard engine, as nothing will be visible on the port engine.

I wish you could show in a separate thread, the beautiful work that you have done with your engine, all the piping and oil tanks in the frame of the compartment. Maybe you will start your own thread on the U-371, as you are depicting it, in the Mediterranean sea.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

I may just do that. Thank you so much for the complements. You are definitely too kind. Unfortunately I haven't had much time recently to work on it and it's probably been over a month since I even touched it.

The most fun I have had with this project is the research. I kind of picked a boat number at random then dove into the research to find out as much as I could. I love history and especially WWII. It took considerable digging to find details on U-371 but that's the fun of it. My avatar, a dragon fly riding a torpedo, was the captains logo. Fortunately there is one photo that clearly shows this. Yes, it is a dragonfly and not a mosquito. I guess dragonfly's look different in Germany.

untitled.png

probably because dragonflies don't have a proboscis like that........I think he was referring to 'the sting' instilling fear into his enemies ;) 

a log is a great idea :) 

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

My eyes are exploded. That engine is a challenge to build and to paint. It must have at least 100 parts to put together.

DSC04100.thumb.JPG.5f80b85eebde44e6662459497163fe7f.JPG

I am building it pretty much out of the box. The only change I made was to cut the plastic pushers and replace them with metal wires for more realism. Not an easy thing to do: you need to drill 12 holes with the proper alignment. Trumpeter has been placing a lot of hoses and it makes the assembly a challenge: at the scale of 1/48th, these hoses are too big and are crammed, preventing a nice organization of all the parts, especially around the rockers.

DSC04101.thumb.JPG.f26060bda45e6dfb381eab31785dbdd4.JPG

DSC04102.thumb.JPG.3bff12b0032fe06ffc9c06568cca2388.JPG

I have seen some modelers push the insanity at replacing the plastic valve springs with real springs. I just cannot do that. Besides they are almost invisible once the engine is in place.

DSC04103.thumb.JPG.6c445a2737b28dc09038b2bc76ea6708.JPG

DSC04104.thumb.JPG.666a6fb381ccfda3bf715866fc6d728e.JPG

After painting the entire engine, some kind of "Hemp" color, it is time to install the pushers and paint all the details. My eyes are too shot to go any further today.

Yves

Yves, it looks like that engine would actually fire up and run.  I feel for your eyes.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Yves,

Your model building skills are exceptional to say the least... The kit looks to be a daunting task and you have stood up to the challenge; I admire your veracity... Back in 2003 I joined "TheSubcommittee.com" and starting building the OTW 1/32nd scale model Type VII C U-Boat (About 78 inches long); the hull was fiberglass and the deck, tower, and all the accessories were plate brass. When building the tower I had to learn to use a miniature blow torch to build the brass tower which consisted of two (2) flat sides and all other components had to be scratch built form brass sheets or rods. It took me about three (3) years to complete the project as a display model. I never got to installing the Water Tight Chamber (WTC) with the motors and all the control circuits. A completed model would be a static diver which is radio controlled.

I noticed you posted some drawings that looked very familiar... Possibly, they came from the AMP Website that contains "Tore's Mailbox"; it is our intent to share our discussions about the design and functionality of the Type VII C U-Boat with everyone. Mr. Tore Berg-Nielsen served in the Royal Norwegian Navy in the early 1950's on U995, and U926 as an Engineering Officer (EO) and I believe he is one of the very few living experts on the Type VII C U-Boat and he is in his early 90's. Over the past 5 years, I have documented our discussions and created "Skizzenbuch: U-Boat Type VII C Project" in a PDF format. At one time I had a publishing contract, but the book format 11 x 17 inch sheet size, 516 pages with over 700 photos and drawings became too expensive to print the book. My original intent was not to profit from Skizzenbuch in the first place, so I made the PDF file available on the internet to be downloaded free of charge. You may find Skizzenbuch helpful in understanding how everything worked in the actual Type VII C U-Boat and what your model represents. Skizzenbuch may be downloaded at www.subcommittee.com and go to "Forums" then "The U-boat Pen" and Skizzenbuch is the second pinned entry from the top where you can download the PDF.

Regards,

Don_

PS - attached is my OTW version of U-96 (Das Boot)'''

043 - page 001.png

Edited by Don_
text error

Don,

I am humbled that the famous Mr. Prince is taking a look at my model. I am in awe at the extraordinary amount of work you have done on these German submarines and have learnt so much by reading your book (the PDF version). Also, thank you for introducing Mr. Tore to this community as he is probably one of the very few men having served on a Type VIIc vessel, still in existence today.

There will be more of your material being used in this Blog. It is my absolute reference.

Yves

Don - This is way off of topic but, are those Donald Duck's on your shelf cookie jars or just figures. Those guys look like they go back to Donald's very beginning. Really cool.

Oh yeah, your U-Boat is pretty neat too. ; )

yves - Your engine looks great. Best to keep the kiddies out of swearing range when you build that! Can you imagine what the model kit would be if they put that much detail into all the compartments. It would be a 3000 part kit. But, where's the fun in that. Everyone needs a challenge, right?

Hello Katuna,

Those Donald Duck cookie jars were a gift to my Mom from my Dad about 6 month before I was born. That would make the gift to her around December 1940; I was born in June 1941. They survived me and my two younger brothers and she gave them to me about 50 years ago. I was named Donald, so go figure... They are 79 years old!

Regards,

Don_

Edited by Don_

amazing detail Yves!  to top it off,  your adding the second engine.   the engine room is looking sweet.......really nice work ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

yves - Have you seen the rest of the set of photos of the engine being loaded into the engine compartment? Someone posted them on the AMP site. They would be very helpful for you in detailing the outboard side of your Stbd. engine. Lots of close up shots.

If you don't have them let me know and I'll resize them and post them here.

78767141_10156892436604077_9019622391810097152_o.jpg.8a7864068a5b3991fe1d4364a2457f66.jpg

Katuna, you beat me for the posting. Yes, of course, I noticed these wonderful and historical pictures posted by RAYMIC1 on the models.rokket.biz forum. 

Quite a different perspective: 

Engine-02.jpg.f2285b708f7e6c0070391f070412853c.jpg

Those diesel engines are colossal: 

Engine-03.jpg.c47b515851955ae862704ce99f813619.jpg

Engine-07.jpg.8391c9219e7e33ab526f0ae7de8e5e50.jpg

Engine-05.jpg.bb42d1cf0cd6b5b7c99a3d67533ddf1d.jpg

Engine-01.jpg.ce2ffd2d48268c0b0b64dcc55fb7ad81.jpg

Engine-04.thumb.jpg.9f30270ef3d7d74ac827fc78fc6cd1b5.jpg

Finally, a picture taken from the library of "Das Boot".

800px-Bavaria_Filmstudio_Das_Boot_1.jpg.c8cfc3cde6506e28632f4f4aa2272b30.jpg

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal