U-552 by yvesvidal - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1/48 - PLASTIC - Type VIIC U-boat

Nice!!

Are you going to bother "Linking" the Batteries?

(Sorry, a detail thing.... If it can't be seen, why worry.... just a thought.)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

2 hours ago, hof00 said:

Nice!!

Are you going to bother "Linking" the Batteries?

(Sorry, a detail thing.... If it can't be seen, why worry.... just a thought.)

Cheers....HOF.

HOF, I thought about it for half a second ... and then decided against it 😉

Yves

19 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

"Once the deck is in place, that vision of a large number of cells all lined up will disappear."

Yves,

Your attention to even the tiniest of details is just amazing. Even if the batteries will be mostly hidden, we will still have your build log to go back and reflect on your accomplishments.

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

is that cut away a kit thing,  and something you opened yourself?   I think what you've done is really good :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

A few details for tonight. The rear bulkhead is pretty much completed. I still have to paint the outside of the pressure hull: 

DSC04392.thumb.JPG.9d0c44821ac3dd9552c0d07371cb6458.JPG

The stove to prepare food for 44 people, three times a day ..... 

DSC04393.thumb.JPG.0aa2714650cc96cf61c0722c263335bd.JPG

I decided to close the door to the diesel engines room, to allow a better view of the Galley. The noise was preventing the cook to do his job, anyway...

Yves

15 minutes ago, yvesvidal said:

The noise was preventing the cook to do his job, anyway...

Not to mention maintaining watertight integrity.

Wood and plastic. The best of both worlds. Nice looking bunks. Now it’s nap time. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

just a thought, if you wanted to show some of the battery tank detail, could you open up a section of the galley deck, i was unable to see where access was gained to the tank, but doubt it was there due to the anount of water from the ranges

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Yves, superb work and attention to detail! Some may ask "why detail what you won't see when it's done" miss the point. You, the modeler knows it's there and the satisfaction that comes from that is precious. I'll be following this build as a template on how to do plastic at the highest level.

Bob Cardone

On the bench:

Gunboat Philadelphia Model Shipways 1:24

CSS Palmetto State Verlinden 1:200 

Next up:

USN Picket Boat #1 Model Shipways 1:24

Completed:

F-4 Phantom Hasegawa 1:48

Smilodon Fatalis Unknown manufacturer and scale

Panzer IV 1:32 Unimax/ Forces of Valor prebuilt with mods, diorama

Member of the Nautical Research Guild         

Thank you Bob, your compliments are very well received.

Small progress on the living quarters and kitchen. That view will most likely be no longer visible once the front bulkhead is in place. So enjoy that nice genuine poster, sitting on top of the auxiliary fridge: 

DSC04397.thumb.JPG.e31e6ae146b927fa3b1e091388d5d788.JPG

Some of these parts are not provided in the kit, but taken from the extra set of parts I have. 

DSC04398.thumb.JPG.ebebfd30aa4c96a78022e8a39c95090e.JPG

The kitchen sink (below). The sink was equipped with a small basin and four taps: two for cold-warm/fresh water for cooking or drinking and two for cold-warm/salt water for washing the dishes. When not in use, the sink was covered with a large wooden board (depicted here), used as the only plane of work for cooking. The size of that board was 83 cm x 45 cm. It is no wonder the cook was revered more than the officers, in most cases. On the left wall, a cold storage was used as a fridge, and below another storage area was available as well. Trumpeter did not represent the faucets in detail as well as the large cock located above the sink because it is not visible once the module is assembled. Right above the kitchen is also a hatch (Kitchen hatch or cook hatch) that we will see when we put together the roof/pressure-hull element. That hatch was used to pass small food supplies.

DSC04399.thumb.JPG.91f7f64174ea5746884e59affc15febb.JPG

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Yves,

All of the hidden gems are great. Just knowing they are there even if no one can see them adds something to the build, don't you think? Kind of like when we were kids and had a secret and would say "I know something you don't know"!

The real question is where on earth did you find so many "Nude Nazis"?

Regards

Just finished building the six mattresses. These are made with the original Trumpeter part, a layer of thin foam and a piece to wrap the whole thing:

DSC04400.thumb.JPG.cf5fab442907eb50fc4ef098249a8ca2.JPG

One bed completed.... five more to go: 

DSC04401.thumb.JPG.21c62156f2f7cc53122a84964d33724f.JPG

Et voila. Pillows are made with white putty. These will be formed more precisely and then lightly stained for more realism, once dry.

DSC04402.thumb.JPG.53744a14b24f1f80bdd5f16cc30632b8.JPG

Yves

Installation of four white LEDs on the ceiling/pressure hull: 

DSC04403.thumb.JPG.9fd70f3c7b00f8a1b6d3a9a253309b4d.JPG

The "Cook Hatch" has been improved with a large wheel (not in the kit).

DSC04404.thumb.JPG.c1ab84112a2dc7470c289bfeecb28b28.JPG

Wiring of the LEDs in series (4 x 3 volts = 12 Volts).

DSC04405.thumb.JPG.0b158b553df8f463b5bfc0ae45934d88.JPG

Some putty blobs to prevent light leaks. Once painted, they should prevent any unpleasant light leaking outside of the pressure hull. All this will not be visible once the hull is closed.

Also working on the bulkhead of the control room. Openings have to match: 

DSC04406.thumb.JPG.0f7254a7103a2515ebb4d228e28042be.JPG

DSC04407.thumb.JPG.37d3b088aed6adf43d6a9a7de70162cc.JPG

All this is to help represent the large rear fuel tank, located around the rear officer compartment and under the control room.

Back to the sub-officer and kitchen compartment, Trumpeter screwed up royally by mixing up the toilet room and the pantry. Instead of the necessary appliances, Trumpeter is giving us a wooden box..... Very useful to dump a c...!!! I have built a small platform to install the second set of toilet bowl and sink (which is of course not provided in the original kit). They could have offered a second set to populate that very visible room..... But no!

DSC04409.thumb.JPG.8eec31baa89fae034207058c098db66e.JPG

DSC04411.thumb.JPG.9cfa4489757ee1b3657f671201e90531.JPG

DSC04412.thumb.JPG.7cf85c45928cb3f61c209c136283f8b2.JPG

Let's not forget the toilet paper....apparently a very valuable (and rare) item, nowadays.

View on the ducting bringing fresh air: 

DSC04410.thumb.JPG.e4374b3dc7d9a0b479f5019a956de976.JPG

Very soon, we will be closing the lid on the batteries room: 

DSC04408.thumb.JPG.18871d18a9028db3d20f4377e13c05ef.JPG

DSC04413.JPG

Hope you enjoy.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Awesome.

You're blending together a whole spectrum of techniques here with great continuity. I bet if you had the resources, you could probably build a real one when you're done with this.

Bob Cardone

On the bench:

Gunboat Philadelphia Model Shipways 1:24

CSS Palmetto State Verlinden 1:200 

Next up:

USN Picket Boat #1 Model Shipways 1:24

Completed:

F-4 Phantom Hasegawa 1:48

Smilodon Fatalis Unknown manufacturer and scale

Panzer IV 1:32 Unimax/ Forces of Valor prebuilt with mods, diorama

Member of the Nautical Research Guild         

Very well done, Yves.   Check all the LED's hooked up and power applied.   From my electronics work way back decades ago, you may find some bulbs not as bright as others.  If that happens, you'll need to change the wiring to parallel.  Like I said, it's been more decades than I care to think about and I might be wrong.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I don't mean to keep beating a dead horse but, after including the forward Port head (which you can hardly see) they didn't include the aft officers head. Mind boggling sometimes. 

Are you going to load it up with perishables for the galley?

Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722 during their 15th patrol.

1 hour ago, Katuna said:

I don't mean to keep beating a dead horse but, after including the forward Port head (which you can hardly see) they didn't include the aft officers head. Mind boggling sometimes. 

That is Trumpeter choice and reasoning. As someone mentioned it before, I suspect that these independent modules were designed by different groups and ended up with a different level of quality and details.

1 hour ago, Katuna said:

Are you going to load it up with perishables for the galley?

I thought about it. The hard part is to find the perishables..... actually, I have a lot in my fridge right now 🙂 Honestly, I have a trail and need to order a couple of things.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Great work Yves.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Module is almost completed. A few more details, the ceiling/pressure hull and it will be over. In the meantime, enjoy some shots: 

DSC04414.thumb.JPG.2bf16331c4e5dbf9707d16cb14524879.JPG

The fuel tank (below) surrounding the batteries room: 

DSC04415.thumb.JPG.2828d3f87384430533e0151862846b05.JPG

The sleeping quarter, also used for eating and relaxing (as far as you can relax inside a submarine): 

DSC04416.thumb.JPG.a40eb7513ce704a1928d65ba351437d1.JPGGalley, pantry and toilet room: 

DSC04417.thumb.JPG.b9c0f373abcbf8beadd9d1681327dabd.JPG

Lots of magazines (propaganda) and Nazis ideology posters on the walls:

DSC04418.thumb.JPG.78ae8c2a92c6482089d02697adecf711.JPG

DSC04419.thumb.JPG.af5d617d34717e38951eefd44a1eb4cd.JPG

Magazines are made of a cover printed at scale and glued on a thin cardboard sheet. All covers are authentic Kriegsmarine and Adler publications from the early 40's.

DSC04420.thumb.JPG.16340b4dde8d0738a60e6b36fc316456.JPG

Girls are the Olympic champions of 1936, held in Berlin.

DSC04421.thumb.JPG.84ca0fda91f4618e8515dc6cb5972a9c.JPG

Aerial view of the galley:

DSC04422.thumb.JPG.3874e643666a854ca96338797d41fded.JPG

DSC04423.thumb.JPG.79e99ab5ebde8ae27817fca14b6bee13.JPG

I still have to solder some electrical wires, glue the ceiling and fill up the tank. Some painting on the outside and the main air hose to be added on top of the pressure hull, and the module will be ready to rest in the hull.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Is the empty room next to the head some kind of storage room, or something else? Fantastic build, I am loving every installment.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

This just keeps getting better and better I don't know how you can keep topping yourself. But I am sure you will find a way. Keep up the great work.

It takes some searching but you can find 1/48 food. There are a few tin cans and a precious few bags and baskets of fruits and veggies. You could always whip something up with some epoxy putty too.

Of course you could always say you are near the end of your patrol 😁. It cost a lot of money to feed a U-Boat crew. Even little plastic ones $$$!

Modeling U-371 on 16.10.43 at 1800 off of the Algerian coast in CJ7722 during their 15th patrol.

I have been doing some experiments with some acrylic resin. I am mildly happy with the results. As some of you who are following closely the development of that insanity know,  I am trying to replicate the fuel tanks located on each side and under the control room and spanning into the living quarters modules, around the batteries compartments. Because we are using that resin on a delicate plastic model, the Polyester resin with its fast polymerization cannot be used: the heat generated during the hardening reaction is simply too much for the plastic parts surrounding the resin.

Therefore, I decided to go with Acrylic resin which presents a certain number of good points when compared to the polyester resin: 

- Less toxic

- Less stinky

- Almost no heat during the reaction

- More affordable

- Crystal clear

- Compatible with Acrylic paints

- Long working time (40 minutes)

- Easier to clean (alcohol or soap)

- Very small shrinking once hardened.

The only drawbacks I noticed are the following: 

- Extremely temperature sensitive

- Need to mix perfect 1:1 ratio

- Mixing time of at least 3-4 minutes (no less)

- Very long to harden (24 hours to 48 hours at high temperature).

What I am using is this product: 

Resin.thumb.jpg.e2818a000581a106f434226725ec2dd3.jpg

My first attempt was not perfect but gave a very realistic results (even more realistic than when perfect): 

DSC04424.thumb.JPG.431860d5c8be9521ec1f68e22aa537eb.JPG

The top surface has a lot of small bubbles mimicking the motion of the fuel into the tank, while the submarine is under way. When I did the first attempt, the temperature during the mixing of the resin was a little bit too low (they recommend 72-78). Mixing the resin during 4 minutes created some tiny air bubbles that had a hard time getting to the surface and disappearing. As you can see, the mold is nothing more than two pieces of scotch tape to prevent the resin from running away. Once the resin is cured, the tape is removed and we have a perfect wall of fuel in the tank.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

The next compartment is the Control room. All these compartments are linked to each other by the fuel tanks located underneath. It is therefore essential to build them almost at the same time for a perfect continuity. Thus, I started the Control room which is probably the most ambitious project as you will see.

The lower level of the Control Room is composed of: Front Fuel tank....Main Ballast....Rear Fuel tank. Of course, Trumpeter did not see the need to represent any of these three sections and instead gave us a "semi" container for the periscope mechanism and well, and a few bulkheads. The result is a pale approximation of what this compartment is about.

So, let's look at how we can improve on the kit: 

DSC04425.thumb.JPG.06689353ed901288204bdaed7540d357.JPG

I decided to build a pressure hull and to install in it, the three tanks referenced earlier. I am using a lid from a NEST packaging (cut in half, to represent the convex bulkheads facing the fuel tanks. Tat lid is exactly of the right diameter and fits perfectly against the Trumpeter bulkheads. It does take a lot of fine tuning and adjustments to make it work, but I think I managed to create something that looks realistic. The pressure hull is made with a sheet of 0.5 mm thick, 16 cm long and about 11.5 cm wide.

DSC04426.thumb.JPG.8f2c6360da809b8a3cb4e4c12526cc27.JPG

Above, you can see the front section of the rear fuel tank (extension of what is around the rear batteries compartment). From the other side, this is what we have: 

DSC04427.thumb.JPG.6d96ed00afa3d584dea2cb7e3507a506.JPGWith both convex bulkheads installed and the resin poured in the rear fuel tank:  

DSC04428.thumb.JPG.5160e52abafc0969853db673da501135.JPG

Of course, the level of fuel matches the level we saw in the previous compartment: 

DSC04429.thumb.JPG.acfc7d4044f32faf5e216fb66a347251.JPG

The main ballast structure requires a lot of work, cutting and sanding to bring it to something slightly more prototypical: 

DSC04430.thumb.JPG.6fad3dc931bce8eb5b192ebbeeac267b.JPG

Everything is glued under the control room floor. A tube (left on the picture) is added to represent the well of the attack periscope. That detail is missing from the Trumpeter kit (anybody surprised ?)

The main ballast is painted with anti-fouling color: 

DSC04431.thumb.JPG.a96f6a2a9f6ff204ddb80e0143fc382f.JPG

And the pressure hull is slightly opened to show the intricacies of the main ballast structure: 

DSC04432.thumb.JPG.bedee2effab782a6f6f96587ef11afed.JPG

Next step: glue the control room floor and start populating the rear bulkhead with all its details, before installing the front bulkhead and pouring resin in the front fuel tank. 

The main ballast will also have some water "poured" into it, for extra realism.

Yves