British Bomb Ketch by GeorgeKapas - FINISHED - Pyro - 1/150 - PLASTIC

This is looking so good, George. It's hard to believe you're getting such a quality of detail at such a small scale!

Steven

The further I came in your log, the less obvious it became to be of plastic origin ... it is hardly possible to distinguish it from wood. Very well done, and as Steven mentioned, especially at this scale

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Awesome work!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Thank you all!  Updates coming in a few hours. I did a lot of the rigging, she does look magnificent, even though I was not very optimistic at the start of this built. Also had a small accident a few days ago. Thankfully I keep the ship wrapped in a soft cloth when I rigg it, so there was little effect.

Your color scheme is perfect along with the wooden deck. Wow! As other members have stated; "You would never know it was a plastic kit".

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

I finally managed to correct some mistakes, add more pulleys, and get a proper packground to take pictures.

The last few days were hectic indeed. 

Added extensions/flagpoles to the masts  to correct the issue. More pulleys, most of the bowsprit rigging is also finished. 

Fasting the stays was an absolute nightmare. The ship is tiny, the masts are of soft plastic and the shroud deadeyes are very fragile to take much tension. A test of patience, it wont be perfect, certainly in that scale and with that material, but I am finally satisfied with the result.. 

Much of the tensions especially with the running rigging will be solved later as they come on the masts.

20190325_234853.jpg

20190325_234957.jpg

20190326_000300.jpg

The bowsprit is mostly ready. I had to make decisions of what to keep and what to omit, especially after the rather extravagant choice of layout.

Stays were added, including the martingale stays etc.

Bobstays and bowsprit shrouds

Spritsail Braces

2 of the 4 Jibboom guys were added

Spritsail Cluelines 

simplified cluelines for the jibbs,

I generally use Lennarth Peterssen's Rigging - Period Ship Models, but at this scale, I am at my limit..

20190325_235329.jpg

20190325_235226.jpg

20190325_235121.jpg

20190325_235054.jpg

Love the way the rigging is progressing. Not so certain about the flag. Looks a bit ... crumpled. Will you show her with or without sails? If with sails, furled or unfurled? (I know, it's easy to comment from the sideline)

Edited by cog

Carl

Sorry for the lack of updates, these will come this weekened when a lot of progress will be documented. 

I had flags printed, a 17th century Red Ensign for the taffrail a Royal Standard for the mizzenmast a 17th century Union jack for the mainmast and a small jack for the bowsprit, although it is debatable if I'll add the latter.  

There was an issue with the rigging thread, I was running low on Mantua thread which you cant find any more here.

I have Nylon, Polyester, Silk, and various qualities of cotton. At this tiny scale, any blemish and fluff will show, and even with waxing, Polyster looked terrible ( all 0.25mm btw). Nylon has no fluff by default by its threading is very crude.

Today I finally found some Egyptian Cotton thread that behaved properly and with waxing it looks just like the Mantua thread. Great news, as now I have a good supply near me. 

Edited by GeorgeKapas

Thank you! Yes the material is the worst, soft Airfix plastic, the masts bend with the slightest tension, every time I add a piece of thread I need to readjust the stays or some other  standing rigging... I have somewhat given up on most of these problems, at least for now, going to tension them near the end of the rigging phase

46 minutes ago, GeorgeKapas said:

BTW should I make the horizontal lines of the shrouds with melted plastic spruce or thin thread? I'm still unsure

Maybe you could try some Lycra thread. It stretches without putting a lot of pressure on the plastic parts and easily retains it's tension over time. Plastic ship and aircraft modelers use it all the time.

I'm afaraid the strech line like EZ line will pose the same problems you have with the other rigging. I would personally go for the streched sprue, eventhough it is more work, you won't have the tensioning prblems. On my plastic builds I use EZ-line, but my masts are from brass, so I don't need to take the flexibility from those into account

Edited by cog

Carl