British Bomb Ketch by GeorgeKapas - FINISHED - Pyro - 1/150 - PLASTIC

This very old and rare kit was provided to me by a good friend. Indeed, I was not aware that such a ship type was available in plastic. The kit is made in the 1960s, and I was very interested trying it out.  It is very small is size, but it has proven to be a handfull nevertheless. Its issues are several, but still I tried to make something out of it. 

20180809_122258.jpg

post-10090-0-58453500-1444046141.jpg

Although I didnt take a photo with the parts as they were, here is a summary at a later time: 

The masts are rebuilt almost completly. The single piece yards and sails were of no use.  I added new yards, striken down, and made a bowsprit from scratch. Built new catheads,  the blocks for the pins the cannons and anchors were replaced by better pieces from my pile. The pulkheads had solid stairs that looked terrible, I had them removed completely and built ladders from scratch a bit later. 

20180809_122635.jpg

20180809_122731.jpg

The hull wood grain was terrible. Too big, everything was a relief including the lines between the hulls etc. The deck was not much better, but I left that alone. The hull though seemed really wrong. I decided to paint the lower hull as if coated with "White Stuff" Everything had to go. Initially I wanted the planks lines on the upper hull retained, but in the end these were removed as well. Notice that even the shroud plank chains were solid triangles... These had to go too..

20180809_122743.jpg

20190117_164303a.jpg

20190117_164303.jpg

Edited by GeorgeKapas

Hi,

Great build. I have built many of these small Pyro Kits and you do have to take them for what they are. However, have always been on the look out for this one. Only seen it once and they really did want stupid money for it. I have built:

Bon Homme Richard

Dutch Staten Jacht

Venetian Carrack

Roman Merchant

Half Moon

La Reale

But gave up on their larger scale Gouda. If you have enjoyed the Bomb Ketch then keep your eye out for the others.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

What an interesting subject for a build. And you're doing an excellent job on it. 1:150 is not an easy scale for a ship of this size and type.

I look forward to further progress.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Thank you all. Yes these vintage kits are interesting. I'm rather young, this one was molded before my mother was born! 

In any case, here is the painting progressing. Shows a rough idea of the color choice. Weathering and pencil planking is still not applied here. Notice the smooth hull since I sanded all the molded planking out. I also tried to fix the lion with a bit of filler, not sure if it improved much, the mold is as you would expect from a 50 year old kit. 

20190228_013222.jpg

20190228_013247.jpg

20190228_013311.jpg

20190228_013321.jpg

She is looking great. You are making a great job of her.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

I have also built several of these kits when I was younger and in fact still have a couple. Your build turns what is mostly just a toy model into a real work of art. Your work is impressive.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thank you all, once again. I have Drake's Revenge by Lindberg, which is an old repackaged Pyro Kit as well.  That one is actually very nicely detailed, far better than this, despite being even smaller. 

Here are the masts. I had the mizzen mast rebuilt a second time, so it has same difference since its first iteration.  Especially the yards are very thin and frail, despite being larger pieces filled down. The rigging should be done with care so they wont bent 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Thank you! It is a mystery why Ι took this built so patriotically. Maybe because there was so few photos of a completed model of this kit, and most were simple assemblies. 

Perhaps I spent more time on it than this kit was worth it, but it seems worthwhile. Here are the guns! 

20190311_100147.jpg

20190311_100235.jpg

I can hardly believe his is the old Pyro kit George.

Your work is incredible!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Again, you are too kind! Here are today's photos, hull painted and all. So now we reached present day! so no more lighting fast updates 😭.. Tomorow I'll start with the rigging, hopefully that will go smooth and fast as well. Perhaps it will be ready in a week's time, if no troubles are encountered. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Most deadeyes and blocks are painted and ready, need to make some last adjustments before the next round of updates. I have several sources to draw rigging plans. There is a dilema though, that comes from the small scale of the model, about which rigging lines to include and which to leave out. Having no sails does help a bit. 

Generally speaking I see this as a test built. The pencil for the planks worked nice, and the shrouds too, although they are an overkill for such a scale.

In even smaller kits like the Revenge in around 1/300 there is no way I'll add blocks and deadeyes, this a limit for me. 

Edited by GeorgeKapas

I too built a lot of the Pyro kits as a kid, including this one, the Revenge (my personal favorite), the Ark Royal, The Bounty, The Constitution, The Cutty Sark, The Charles W. Morgan and the Henry Grace Adieu. I also built a few of the larger Pyro ships, too. I have to say, I'm impressed with the work you are doing. Good job!

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway